R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 08 GS and decided to change the tires. It has not quite worn out K-60's on it now. I thought about the Pilots but because of the low price for the Anakee 3's decided to go with them.

Before I joined this forum I read very good things about the Anakee 3's. Now I wonder if I should send them back.

What is the best tire for the GS ?

Bill

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Anakee 3's. It's a 90/10 tire and lasts forever. BMW Motorad used them for years on the GS line. I think they use Michelin Anakee Adventures now which is what I'm running.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I like the Shinko 705's. Low price, decent mileage and will keep up with my abilities both in the twisties and the dirt. I can get a set of Shinkos for the price of a rear of most others I would have. Best tire for the GS/A? Whatever fits your budget and riding style as well as expectations of longevity.

·
Super Awesom Person
596 Posts
The best tire is the one you like. I say put them on and see how you like them. If you don't then buy something else next time. Michelin makes very good tires so it's not like you bought crap tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently bought a 08 GS and decided to change the tires. It has not quite worn out K-60's on it now. I thought about the Pilots but because of the low price for the Anakee 3's decided to go with them.

Before I joined this forum I read very good things about the Anakee 3's. Now I wonder if I should send them back.

What is the best tire for the GS ?

Bill
My experience with Anakee 3's (90/10) are nothing but exceptional. Highly recommended. I had them on my 2016 GS and put over 11,000 miles traveling through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Quebec, Canada. Had no problem whatsoever. This year, as I ventured into a little off-road riding, I swapped them for the Anakee Adventure (80/20) tires and am extremely satisfied with their performance to date. Go for it!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have been using Shinkos.....for the price point its good but both my rear tires near their end delaminated!!
Dunno why but kinda made me feel unsafe

·
Super Awesom Person
596 Posts
I have been using Shinkos.....for the price point its good but both my rear tires near their end delaminated!!
Dunno why but kinda made me feel unsafe
If my tires did that I wouldn't buy the same brand anymore.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If my tires did that I wouldn't buy the same brand anymore.
Then I read up a little.....so just not Shinkos people have had michelins and bridgestones do the same.....why my bike? Why my tires? I dont have an answer to.....Im gonna put a diff tire and then see if the same happens

·
Registered
58 Posts
My R1250GS HP came with Anakee 3s and I've pushed mine well beyond what I thought they'd be capable of a few times when riding with my sons on their crotch rockets.

Some have complained about their noise. And while they are a bit louder than average, I found it a minor annoyance at first and something I don't even notice now. When wearing earplugs it's a non-issue.

As a 90/10 tire, I pretty sure you'd find the Anakee's significantly better than your K-60s on the street, and significantly worse in the dirt, sand, mud or gravel.

How much off-road riding do you intend to do?

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
If you intend to get off the pavement much at all, I'll say that I'm really happy with my Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. They're fine on gravel/dirt roads and even work well in ruts and softer stuff and are great on the road with nearly no noise and no vibration. Hard to beat the Stinko 705s for value but I'll be running these Dunlops until I see how long they last.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience with Anakee 3's (90/10) are nothing but exceptional. Highly recommended. I had them on my 2016 GS and put over 11,000 miles traveling through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Quebec, Canada. Had no problem whatsoever. This year, as I ventured into a little off-road riding, I swapped them for the Anakee Adventure (80/20) tires and am extremely satisfied with their performance to date. Go for it!
Do you see a noticeable difference between the Anakee 3 vs the Adventures? I starting to go on gravel roads now and like it a lot. I need to replace my rear tire soon and was wondering if it is worth the price difference (the 3 are on sale) to purchase the Adventures.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you see a noticeable difference between the Anakee 3 vs the Adventures? I starting to go on gravel roads now and like it a lot. I need to replace my rear tire soon and was wondering if it is worth the price difference (the 3 are on sale) to purchase the Adventures.

I've taken my GSA down snowmobile trails on A3's. Were they the best tire for the job....no, but if you're going slow, they will handle most situations.
I'm currently running Anakee Wilds....exceptional tire, sticks well on pavement wet or dry, but extremely noisy.

I've got a set of Pirelli Scorpion II to go on next, 90-10 tire, because I want to get away from the road noise as 75% of my riding is pavement and gravel roads. If I go down an ATV or snowmobile trail, I'll just go slower.

If you've been happy with the A3's, stick with them if you're doing nothing challenging and are ok with the tire noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've taken my GSA down snowmobile trails on A3's. Were they the best tire for the job....no, but if you're going slow, they will handle most situations.
I'm currently running Anakee Wilds....exceptional tire, sticks well on pavement wet or dry, but extremely noisy.

I've got a set of Pirelli Scorpion II to go on next, 90-10 tire, because I want to get away from the road noise as 75% of my riding is pavement and gravel roads. If I go down an ATV or snowmobile trail, I'll just go slower.

If you've been happy with the A3's, stick with them if you're doing nothing challenging and are ok with the tire noise.
Thanks, Candubrain! The A3's noise does not bother me, really. I know they are good tires, but since the rear needs to be changed soon, I was just thinking in going to the Adventures route that is, of course, if the extra $ amount is worth it. Someone mentioned that the offroad capabilities are pretty much the same for both tires and, if that is the case, I will stick with A3's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts