R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R1250 GSA came with these and over the last 5,000 miles I've become disenchanted with them. Mainly I don't think they handle tar snakes as well as even the Anakee 3s let alone the Road 4/Road 5 I've mostly used. I don't recall Conti TKC 70's being this sketchy either. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

They do seem to be a bit quieter than A3s but I really don't care since I wear earplugs all the time and lately it seems I'm getting hard of hearing too (70 isn't nearly as far in the future as it used to be!). I see no reason to abandon my original plan of wearing these out then putting Pilot 5s on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but that thread didn't answer my question, which was about tar snakes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes..have a fairly new set of Anakee ‘Adventures’ set on my ‘16 GSA..and I also find them a bit disconcerting while traversing ‘tar snakes’ as well..feels like the front end will wash out...

·
Registered
178 Posts
My R1250 GSA came with these and over the last 5,000 miles I've become disenchanted with them. Mainly I don't think they handle tar snakes as well as even the Anakee 3s let alone the Road 4/Road 5 I've mostly used. I don't recall Conti TKC 70's being this sketchy either. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

They do seem to be a bit quieter than A3s but I really don't care since I wear earplugs all the time and lately it seems I'm getting hard of hearing too (70 isn't nearly as far in the future as it used to be!). I see no reason to abandon my original plan of wearing these out then putting Pilot 5s on.

Traction control mitigates this, road temperature is a factor on really hot days. I don't think any tire, on average, is better performing on these.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Personally, I've never had a tire that didn't "wiggle" a bit when tar snakes were encountered. I just got home today after picking up my '18 GSA in Seattle. During the last month of touring, I encountered plenty of tar snakes. They were not an issue to me. I did have a flat rear in the Oklahoma panhandle and plugged it 102˚ heat. Character building experience. I had the AAs changed for another set in Cape Girardeau, MO with another set.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts