R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2018 GS and it has the Anakees on it. Initial opinion is they are probably good for off road use and a decent road tire. They are noisy as hell at 50-60 mph so be prepared for that. Given that I primarily ride on the road, I will be changing them out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just bought a 2018 GS and it has the Anakees on it. Initial opinion is they are probably good for off road use and a decent road tire. They are noisy as hell at 50-60 mph so be prepared for that. Given that I primarily ride on the road, I will be changing them out.
Which Anakee tires? The Anakee 3 was an OEM standard for a while and the tire we're discussing here is the Anakee Adventure tires.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I disagree on the noise of the Anakee Adventure tires. I ride a 2017 GSA. They are only very slight more noisy than the Anakee 3's. I've only noticed a slight whine when making soft turns around 30 to 40 MPH. Other than that they run as smooth and quiet as the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I disagree on the noise of the Anakee Adventure tires. I ride a 2017 GSA. They are only very slight more noisy than the Anakee 3's. I've only noticed a slight whine when making soft turn around 30 to 40 MPH. Other than that they run as smooth and quiet as the OEM Michelins.

My Anakee Adventures are noisy as hell. They are far and away the noisiest tire I have come across but I am used to street tires. Anything above 20mph and they become very annoying. No way am I putting another set of these on the bike. On the plus side they seem to be very good tires as far as grip and wear are concerned.

A set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's will be going on next. I have very positive experiences with them on my other bikes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, if you're used to 100% road tires the the Analee Adventure's they are noisier. I guess you've never been on a set of 60/40 or 50/50 tires, now they are noisy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are the Adventures even noisier than the Anakee 3 ?
Wow, that must be a racket, then...

I already found the ANAKEE 3 unbearably loud...

The METZELER SAHARA on my KTM 690 Enduro R which are definitely off road orientated don't make half the noise that the road orientated ANAKEE 3 make... so , it seems perfectly possible for an tyre manufacturer to make his rubbers a lot more quiet than MICHELIN seem to be able to...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are the Adventures even noisier than the Anakee 3 ?
Wow, that must be a racket, then...

I already found the ANAKEE 3 unbearably loud...

The METZELER SAHARA on my KTM 690 Enduro R which are definitely off road orientated don't make half the noise that the road orientated ANAKEE 3 make... so , it seems perfectly possible for an tyre manufacturer to make his rubbers a lot more quiet than MICHELIN seem to be able to...
That's pretty funny that you think the A 3's are not just loud but unbearably loud. I'm guessing that means you don't wear any kind of hearing protection? I've near had anything that quiet on my GS since the 600 mile service when the TKC80s went on it. Wearing good hearing protection I never really hear those tires which are much much louder than the A 3s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do wear ear protection since day 1 of my motor riding several decades ago.. By "unbearable", I mean that the ANAKEE 3's omnipresent racket is so annoying that I had them exchanged after only a few hundred kilometres.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the Adventure Tires on my GSA and I don't even notice any noise except when cornering just like the Dunlops on my Harley do. BUT my last set of tires were 50/50 Mitas E-07 + and I didn't think they were too loud.

·
66 years old and still 16
29 Posts
Tyres

I have 4k on my Anakee adventure tyres, I find them noisy and worse on cornering, most important to me is they stick to the road/soft stuff so no complaints.

Ged

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anakee Adventure wear report

Just returned from Canada and Alaska on new Anakee adventure tires. Left Washington State on 5/22 to Prudhoe Bay and returned to Washington about 17 days later. Half was raining and part of that was slimy mud. At 5800 miles the rears were at the wear bars ( 2/32s from a new 9/32s ). The fronts were at 3.5/32s down from 5.32s new. For long travels this tire doesn't perform as desired. Rain on roads and slimy mud, you would think would have a lower coefficient of friction and thus give you longer wear, but I guess not. My Harley bagger with Dunlap's dual compound rubber tires gets me 18K miles on the rear with 3/32s remaining. I guess Dunlap's dual compound tires really perform like they advertise while Anakee's Adventure do not for me. While I don't expect the same mileage from GS as my Bagger, I did expect more the 6K miles, everything considered. Also very noisy! That's my report what's your. bobz

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just returned from Canada and Alaska on new Anakee adventure tires. Left Washington State on 5/22 to Prudhoe Bay and returned to Washington about 17 days later. Half was raining and part of that was slimy mud. At 5800 miles the rears were at the wear bars ( 2/32s from a new 9/32s ). The fronts were at 3.5/32s down from 5.32s new. For long travels this tire doesn't perform as desired. Rain on roads and slimy mud, you would think would have a lower coefficient of friction and thus give you longer wear, but I guess not. My Harley bagger with Dunlap's dual compound rubber tires gets me 18K miles on the rear with 3/32s remaining. I guess Dunlap's dual compound tires really perform like they advertise while Anakee's Adventure do not for me. While I don't expect the same mileage from GS as my Bagger, I did expect more the 6K miles, everything considered. Also very noisy! That's my report what's your. bobz
Thanks for that report bobz! Other than the mileages you got, how did they perform on dry and wet roads and when you were off the pavement?

Also very noisy - compared to what in your experience?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just returned from Canada and Alaska on new Anakee adventure tires. For long travels this tire doesn't perform as desired. While I don't expect the same mileage from GS as my Bagger, I did expect more the 6K miles, everything considered. Also very noisy! That's my report what's your. bobz
Thanks for that info. I need a new rear tyre and was considering this one. Got a Shinko 705 on the front and that's probably what I'll throw on the back. Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tires in Alaska

It's all good Bob, we have tires up here too.
Yes I know Alaska has tires but... After 4k miles of 50% rain and mud I walked into Fairbank's Harley/BMW and got the normal rude doing you a favor just to wait on you attitude. I walked in wet, muddied up and tired and asked what they stocked for a rear tire for a 2018 R1200GSA, the parts man asks in a rude way what size are you looking for? I replied " I'm a little road weary, could you look it up ". He replied " no we can't do that, we have no way to know what the stock tire size is on your 2018 BMW ". Being shocked and after a little polite back and forth ( at least on my part ) could you please just walk 8 ft over the new R1250GSA sitting on the other side of his counter and rear the tire size, he got off his butt and obliged. After that discussion just to find a tire size he states he has only one tire (80/20) to fit the most popular motorcycle seem on Alaskan roads. Yes they have tires in Alaska but at Fairbanks BMW you have to put up with their snobby attitude and poor selection. When I've traveled from one end of North America to the other on BMWs and Harleys I have noticed some of these dealers sure have a better than you attitude. On my Harley I've never needed tires on the road as I can get 18K+ miles on a dual compound back tire. Sorry for the downer but that's just my experience.
'

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes I know Alaska has tires but... Sorry for the downer but that's just my experience.
'
Actually I was talking about Canada havin' tires. Alaska's all yours hahahaha. No downers here. Other than your experience with the dealership. Glad you made it safe.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes I know Alaska has tires but... After 4k miles of 50% rain and mud I walked into Fairbank's Harley/BMW and got the normal rude doing you a favor just to wait on you attitude. I walked in wet, muddied up and tired and asked what they stocked for a rear tire for a 2018 R1200GSA, the parts man asks in a rude way what size are you looking for? I replied " I'm a little road weary, could you look it up ". He replied " no we can't do that, we have no way to know what the stock tire size is on your 2018 BMW ". Being shocked and after a little polite back and forth ( at least on my part ) could you please just walk 8 ft over the new R1250GSA sitting on the other side of his counter and rear the tire size, he got off his butt and obliged. After that discussion just to find a tire size he states he has only one tire (80/20) to fit the most popular motorcycle seem on Alaskan roads. Yes they have tires in Alaska but at Fairbanks BMW you have to put up with their snobby attitude and poor selection. When I've traveled from one end of North America to the other on BMWs and Harleys I have noticed some of these dealers sure have a better than you attitude. On my Harley I've never needed tires on the road as I can get 18K+ miles on a dual compound back tire. Sorry for the downer but that's just my experience.
'
I think I'd write a polite letter to the owner of that dealership. I think he'd be pretty horrified to hear of the customer service you received and maybe would make sure the next weary traveler that walks in with need would be treated better.

Does anyone know if the new bikes come with these tires or not? I've been really avoiding a test ride because I don't want any temptation to trade up out of my '16 GS that I have just like I want it. But I would like to personally ride a few miles on these tires to see for myself how noisy they are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually I was talking about Canada havin' tires. Alaska's all yours hahahaha. No downers here. Other than your experience with the dealership. Glad you made it safe.
For the record Canadian Dealers of any brand have alway had a very helpful and polite attitude. They love talking and helping Americans. I even noticed back in 2007 Whitehorse, Yukon, CA Honda/KTM dealer had tires for BMWs because, like they said "that's what comes through here looking for tires". It was just that I didn't need tires till I got to Alaska. Didn't mean any disrespect to our Canadian friends. Just some American BMW and Harley dealers have this " Their poop don't stink attitude "

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awake Adventure

I got 11,000 km on AIIIs on my 2017 GS, then replaced them with Anake Adventure, and now have about 2,500 km on them.
I like them. There is a little whine at times, but not too bad, but they feel much better on the road.
I never felt as safe on the AIIIs compared to my previous bike, an 05 R1200GS, with Tourance Nexts. With Adventures the new bike feels good again - grippy and planted on the corners. I haven't done any gravel yet, so that will be interesting.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts