R1200GS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You are getting a ton of miles out of your A3's.
The front A3's on my 2013 wear about the same, it is a weird wear pattern for sure but doesn't appear to effect the performance adversely so I keep buying them for when I don't need a set of knobs.

·
The ride of Life
368 Posts
At 7400 miles I replaced (am replacing?) They are being installed on the rims as I type this. The tires still had enough tread, it's just the profile had flattened out it was hurting the cornering performance.

And the fact I drive by a construction project every day and got nails in both tires sort of pushed my hand...I will now detour abound that.

- Bumblebee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my 2017 r1200gs new in June. At the 600ml service I asked told the dealer that a bearing or something was bad as at certain speeds there was a terrible howl. they said that there was nothing wrong and it was the Anakee 111's. They let me ride a demo with the same tires and sure enough it was the same. I've done 2,400mls and i'm getting used to it. Love the bike. I had a F700gs with Anakee 111 and had some to negligible tire noise.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
Since somebody bumped this thread, the final report on my Anakee IIIs: Took the front one off at 11.6K miles. At that time it still looked like it had about 1K left before it hit the wear bars, but it had worn in an odd trapezoidal cross-section that made it sometimes surprise me in corners. And I wanted to see if my K60 Scouts would work better on gravel--I had just returned from a ride around Iowa on gravel "scenic roads," and the front end skated around like crazy.

The rear Anakee went 13.6K miles and still had about 1mm before the wear bars when I replaced it. Also, it still hadn't squared off in the middle. Don't know if it's a dual-compound tire or if they use some kind of variable temperature curing process, but I was quite happy with its wear.

The noise was horrible, of course, I think because front and rear whine at slightly different frequencies and this produces that "wah-wah" sound. And I can't really see the point of the A3--on pavement, it was a decent enough street tire (except for the noise), and on dirt or gravel it seemed to also be a decent enough street tire (that is, I can't say it was any better on dirt than a pure-street tire would be).

One other interesting thing about the Anakees: they seemed to prevent rain. Not once during the time I had them on the GS was I caught in rain. Not that we didn't have rain, it just never rained on the GS. Magic?

FWIW, I ran Heidenau K60 Scouts through the summer, mostly on pavement. On gravel and dirt roads (not that I did anything particularly challenging on them) they seemed pretty good, definitely a lot better than the A3s. But above 70mph they just shrieked, the back was square from the factory and just got squarer, and the front wore in a sawtooth pattern (the part of the tread block that was leading edge under braking wore about twice as fast as the other side of the block). I think they might have had about 8-10K on them when I replaced them with Continental TKC 70s for the upcoming trip to Moab, Bryce, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Scratching my head my head HOW some of you get the mileage you get out of the Anakee 3 rear????
I've been lucky to get 7,000 to 7,500 miles out of my rears.

The tires perform very well on the road and the noise doesn't bother me (wearing earplugs) but the rear seems to square off after only a few thousand miles. Then it feels like I'm riding on a square tire when riding twisty roads.

I spoke with the Michelin reps at the MOA rally in Des Moines an voiced my displeasure with the early squaring off. I told them if the they used the PR5 compound on the Anakee 3's, they'd have a winner.

The rep told me that a new Anakee would be coming out shortly.

I'm currently running the Avon Trailriders and have around 3,000 mile on them. I'm liking them and they handle very well in wet weather.
I haven't had a chance to try them on dirt yet.

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
While you can get recommendations remember everyone gets different results from their tires. The only way your going to find a tire that works for you is to try them all one at a time. Sorry. I hear good things about the Dunlop RoadTrail tires. FYI...I only got 5500 miles from the stock Anakee 3 tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im at 11,600 miles on a set of Anakee III's. The rear is definitely squared off and nearly to the wear bars. I would have replaced the rear miles ago but I wanted to see how far I could stretch them. I could probably get another 2 or 3k out of the front. I'm going to give a pair of Shinko's a shot next.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
I replaced my Anakee IIIs at ~20,000kms (~12,500 miles), almost entirely pavement with a mix of commuting, joy riding, and distance touring. They could have gone further... I was really close to the wear bars but still had some room left. Only replaced them when I did b/c I was about to head off on a ~6,000km (~3,700mile) trip. Being a Metzeler fan, I replaced the Anakees with Roadtec 01s. Might be my imagination but the Roadtecs are an order of magnitude smoother than the Anakees at freeway speeds, IMO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Got 13 000 miles on A3´s. Front tyre was gone and rear seemed to be good for another 2000 addtional miles. Could never figure out why front one was worn out before rear one. :surprise::

·
Registered
10 Posts
Michelin tires have soft sidewalls they wear funny, I have been running Pirelli Angel GT mileage is good and tires wear even.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just replaced my A3's the other day with Moto Z Tractionator GPS. After 18.5K km the rear was starting to square off and the front was cupping badly. I've had Heidenau K60's on my previous bike (pre Dec 1/17) and routinely got about 24K km/15K miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I started this thread a long time ago and made another on using street tires on a GS. IMO the Anakee III is a great tire and I have yet to find one that has more tread life. I will say that the Pirelli Scorpions, Conti Trail Attacks, and even the PR4 Trails handle better on the street. I now have just put on Conti Street Attack III's and can't say much for wear because they have less than 300 miles on them but they handle better than ANY of the previously mentioned tires. I won't say anything about the PR4 Trails other than they are over rated, have poor mileage and you are way better off sticking with Anakees. Both the Scorpions and Trail Attacks are worth trying, excellent tires, but the Street Attack 3's I sum up in one word, WOW!

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
I think your talking about the Conti ROAD Attack 3? Sure, a 100% road tire should out perform a 80-20 tire. I am curious how they last tho because I'm extremely hard on tires. People on the 1600 forum were getting over 7k on the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and I was barely getting 4500 on mine. The Dunlop tires sure are sticky tho.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I started this thread a long time ago and made another on using street tires on a GS. IMO the Anakee III is a great tire and I have yet to find one that has more tread life. I will say that the Pirelli Scorpions, Conti Trail Attacks, and even the PR4 Trails handle better on the street. I now have just put on Conti Street Attack III's and can't say much for wear because they have less than 300 miles on them but they handle better than ANY of the previously mentioned tires. I won't say anything about the PR4 Trails other than they are over rated, have poor mileage and you are way better off sticking with Anakees. Both the Scorpions and Trail Attacks are worth trying, excellent tires, but the Street Attack 3's I sum up in one word, WOW!
I don't know if I read your thread about street tires on the GS, but I recently got a great deal on some Roadsmart III's and installled them on my GSA knowing I wouldn't be riding any off roads for the winter. What a difference! So quiet, so smooth, and handled great on the roads in Oregon and Yosemite.
I have used the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's on my GSA and I think they were better then the Anakee III's.
I think Pirelli makes a great tire. I used the heck out of the Angel GT's on my GTL and I wish they made the Angel GT to fit the GSA.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yes, they are Road Attack 3's, sorry bout that.

On the comment about guys getting 7k on a tire while you get 4.5K, not unusual. Those Michelin PR guys make claims of over 10K miles too. Must be counting trailer time. LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Darrel, IMO PR4's suck. At least the Trail version. Mine lasted something like 3600 miles and Michelin gave me half off on my next one. Even at half off it isn't close to a Conti Road Attack 3, or Trail II. Pirelli Scorpions are way better too. I said I ride streets, make that twisties. Those are NOT track and far too many people tend to think track converts to street. It does not. You are absolutely correct about a bunch of factors are involved. Lots of FJR riders who ride like I do wear fronts faster than rears. On my Triumphs 955i's and 1050 Tiger, it was 1 and a half front to one rear. Lots of reasons why stuff happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 R1200 GSA with 10,500 miles on both tires. The front tire is still in great shape. The rear tire is getting a flat center, but I believe I can get another 1000 to 2000 miles safely out of the rear. I ride solo and sometimes have touring gear. No unusual wear.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got 10,000 Kms on the A3's, I have no experience with other brands or types of adventure tires and this is my first adventure bike, (other than a short relationship with a KLR 650).

Tallying up my years of riding, I have done 427,325 Kms to date, and have ridden in everything from snow to intense summer heat.

I am simply amazed with the confidence the A3's give me on wet pavement and how far I can push in corners when dry. I have ridden them on ATV trails, gravel, followed hydro line roads, but no single track. Their off pavement performance is exceptional, considering I don't bother to air down. Of course I am not riding beyond my limited ability off road, so someone with more aggressive experience will no doubt disagree with my statement.

But, be honest with yourself, on where you are riding and what tire you actually need. For me, I'll buy another set.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts