R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also a newbie so go easy on me.
Only had the 2007 model for a few months and own a GS Paris Dakar also.
Two weeks ago I went for a ride with the wife , doing 350 km around Brisbane (Aus) where the temperture is a nice 30degrees C. After the ride put the bike in the shed. A week later I discovered I left the keys in the bike and thought that this may be the reason for the bike being dead. So I charged the Battery and still no Go. The warning panel shows EWS. Out comes the owners manual which tells me that it is the Electronic Imobiliser. I did everthing the book told me to do (plastic key etc.) Checked the clutch lever, sidestand etc. But no Go. Also no starting sound or sound from the fuel pump. H/ Light comes on for a second. Panel light stays on. Orange triangle is showing- EWS warning is showing and N (green) is flashing.
No idea what to do so totally disappointed I hopped on my old PD and went for a ride on it instead.
(the PD never stopped on me in 19 years but of course I needed an update or so I thought.)
I am happy this is happening at home and not in some godforsaken country where I have been with the PD
A friend suggested to disconnect the battery altogether to let things reset it self- wishfull thinking -- nothing happened and everything went back as described above.
Any help is welcome.

·
Old Guy
75 Posts
First, you need to verify that the EWS mod has been completed. Your local dealer can do this just by looking at the part number. You can also find the correct part number by doing a little searching (see ADVRIDER).

Second, how old is your battery. The BMW factory batteries are known to fail suddenly, without warning. My 2007 battery lasted 3 years before it needed replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, you need to verify that the EWS mod has been completed. Your local dealer can do this just by looking at the part number. You can also find the correct part number by doing a little searching (see ADVRIDER).

Second, how old is your battery. The BMW factory batteries are known to fail suddenly, without warning. My 2007 battery lasted 3 years before it needed replacement.
I am not sure what you are referring to (EWS completed- as I have carried out what the handbook said i needed to do) and what part number are you refering to?
thanks for your reply
ric

·
Old Guy
75 Posts
You can call BMW customer service and give them your vin. They will tell you if your bike has had the recall completed.

I believe the "new" part number ends in 247, but you should still verify with BMW. By the way, another benefit of contacting BMW is that they will register the bike in your name for future recalls.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My take on 1200's and batteries: The AGM batteries no matter
what brand are just barely able to handle the 1200 twins.
Just sitting the 1200's discharge at about one percent per day cause of all
the electronic stuff. The batteries must be trickle charged when being stored
and not running. Reliable battery life is 2 to 2 and 1/2 years. Most
non-starting issues are battery issues.

100's of threads on this subject on the forums-archives.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys plus my old BMW website

G'day,

To me it was a strange situation, however I figured that it has to do with the later model electrinoc gear on the bikes. It was the battery after all.
In my 40 years of riding BMW's I have gone trhough a fair number of batteries. The usual scenario was that while starting, the engine would crank over slower and slower and after a while the battery would just give out. At home I could charge the respective batteriy and even managed to start them using what little power was left aided by a battery charger and she would fire up.
I was surprised that noting helped in this case.

I hope I bought the right battery .. I didn't even entertain to ask BMW because they buy them anywhere and put the BMW brand on it in order to charge an outragious price.
Local suppliers quoted me 140 Aus dollars. The day I went to pick it up I happen to pass another battery place and casually enquired. The showed me the battery and I ask what the price was. Before agetting the answer I corrected myself by saying, "what I mean is what are YOU going the charge me for this" The guy gave me a look and checked his book and said : i charge you trade , 87 dollars will be OK! ---deal

Anyway guys thanks for the advise. I wil stay on the forum,
regards
Rich Wolt

plenty of BMW stuff here (A bit dated though)
index

·
Knees in The Breeze!!
33 Posts
Ne Battery Technology

G'day,

To me it was a strange situation, however I figured that it has to do with the later model electrinoc gear on the bikes. It was the battery after all.
In my 40 years of riding BMW's I have gone trhough a fair number of batteries. The usual scenario was that while starting, the engine would crank over slower and slower and after a while the battery would just give out. At home I could charge the respective batteriy and even managed to start them using what little power was left aided by a battery charger and she would fire up.
I was surprised that noting helped in this case.

I hope I bought the right battery .. I didn't even entertain to ask BMW because they buy them anywhere and put the BMW brand on it in order to charge an outragious price. Needless to say I'm hoping that their claims for battery life hold true!!! the weight loss is noticeable in increased performance on acceleration and hefting the bike off the side stand as the batt box is right up top in front of the gas tank behind the steering stem!!
Local suppliers quoted me 140 Aus dollars. The day I went to pick it up I happen to pass another battery place and casually enquired. The showed me the battery and I ask what the price was. Before agetting the answer I corrected myself by saying, "what I mean is what are YOU going the charge me for this" The guy gave me a look and checked his book and said : i charge you trade , 87 dollars will be OK! ---deal

Anyway guys thanks for the advise. I wil stay on the forum,
regards
Rich Wolt

plenty of BMW stuff here (A bit dated though)
index
Rich based on an article I read in MCN(Motorcycle Consumer News) MCN.com this last year I purchase a Shorai Lithium/IRON NOT iON BUT IRON LI/FE BATTERY with Shorai's charger which plugs into the battery directly into a port made in the battery (No exrtra harness required)!! for my 2008 K1200GT, based on their (Shorai's) claims it will hold a charge for a year on the shelf!!! and has a longer life!! FWIW the coast was about the same as a OEM BMW battery!! the benefit!! it is half the size of the OEM Batt and only weighs @ 2 lbs/1Kilo!!! I did have to put in some additional styrofoam sheets to make it fit the batt box, they did include some foam sheets for packing but it wasn't enough!! a bit of caution on charging, Lithium Batts are very sensitive to charging current and Voltage, they claim that a Caltran Battery tender charger will work ok but as conservative as I am I sprang for $79.95 for their charger so there won't be any question about compatability. I just bought a new 2012 R1200GS and plan to replace the oem batt in the near future. check out Shorai.com and see what you think!! it is speced at 270 CCA (cold cranking amps) and fires up my KGT with no problem hot or cold!!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts