R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I want to have the dealer to do the annual service on my 2019 1250GSA. I am way below the 6000 miles service so according to the manual for annually, I need to change oil/filter, check air filter and visuals and change rear bevel oil and delete the lame service message. The dealer wants $400, which sounds insane for engine and rear drive oil change, but a few questions if I do it myself:

1. The dealer said they would do a software update if it needed it, but they could not tell me if it needed it over the phone. Are there important updates that make the bike way better and is there a website to find out what the latest versions are? What is so special about these updates? Will my bike grow wings and fly or become gold plated all of a sudden?

2. I think the dealer is trying to shaft me, they said I need a brake fluid replacement, 2 months after changing the calipers and 1 year after changing the fluid, am I missing something? Manual says every 2 years after the first.

3. What is so special about BMW brakes that require such frequent brake fluid changes anyway? All of my vehicles do just fine without this, does BMW have a problem with their brake system that can't hold up for more than 2 years? Somehow after 40 years of riding, none of my other bikes ever had a problem not changing fluid. My prior 2007 R1200GS also worked great and I never changed the fluid. Is it perhaps just a service trick to make BMW more money?

4. Am I missing something else that costs $400?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Call and ask the dealership what the cost of updating the factory software is? It should be free.

Then ask "IF" the brake fluid needs changed due to the calipers being replaced (under warranty I assume) why would you have to pay. This should be a warranty follow up procedure.

What costs $400? The answer is whatever they can get you to pay for.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
175 Posts
1. Is everything OK with the bike? If so, you don't need software update
2. Yes, brake fluid is to be changed every 2 years
3. Don't let the fluid go over 2 years. As the percentage of water in it after 2 years is high for safe braking, I change it on my bikes every 2 years.
4. Yes... Your bike has BMW badge

If your bike is out of warranty, do yourself whatever you can and for the rest look for independent mechanic that owns equipment to delete service schedule message (if it bothers you).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Brake fluid requires changing the first year, then every 2 yrs afterward. Its easy to do, and you don't need the GS911

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure on the 1 yr then 2 yr, maybe a break in thing for the first yr, but since the manual says that and I still have warranty I am following it to the letter. Anyway, that was easy doing the service, now for half the price I also own a nice MX+ tool that I can use on my other vehicles. Next step is to buy the service manual so I can fix anything down the road.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why 1st year the every two years? Is the DOT4 they use initially different than the DOT4 they use after that?

It was explained to me, that from original fill date at the factory to the time you've ridden for a year, it usually is close to the 2 yr lifespan, despite the bike being on a showroom floor in ideal conditions.

A bottle of Dot 4 is a lot cheaper than a corroded ABS module

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I get it a bottle of DOT4 is cheap. In fact I saw it for $1.49 today.

But why would replacement calipers need a "break-in" fluid change when ever other caliper on earth does not require this.

I also do not buy the born on date when the caliper is originally filled accounting for one year of the two years serviceability. How old was the fluid before dealership used it? Shouldn't the clock start ticking as soon as its packaged? If the clock does start ticking as soon as the caliper is filled maybe the dealership should be the one filling the system as part of the pre-delivery process so the end user get the full two years since its new?

Out of curiosity how often have you had you car/truck brake fluid changed? I mean brake fluid is cheap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I get it a bottle of DOT4 is cheap. In fact I saw it for $1.49 today.

But why would replacement calipers need a "break-in" fluid change when ever other caliper on earth does not require this.

I also do not buy the born on date when the caliper is originally filled accounting for one year of the two years serviceability. How old was the fluid before dealership used it? Shouldn't the clock start ticking as soon as its packaged? If the clock does start ticking as soon as the caliper is filled maybe the dealership should be the one filling the system as part of the pre-delivery process so the end user get the full two years since its new?

Out of curiosity how often have you had you car/truck brake fluid changed? I mean brake fluid is cheap.

I replace the brake fluid in all my vehicles every 2 yrs.

Its not a break in fluid change, its a change because brake fluid is hydroscopic, and 2 yrs is it's recommended change frequency. Its the same reason you only use fresh brake fluid from a sealed bottle and not keep what is left in your bottle on the shelf for next use

·
Registered
6 Posts
$400 for a oil/filter change and brake fluid flush is not crazy expensive IMO. They have overhead and need to make a profit. But chances are the brake fluid was changed when the calipers were installed so new fluid might not be required, and you should confirm/verify if it was changed. Assuming the brake fluid is fresh, you should inquire about just a oil and oil filter change, I'd guess somewhere in the $150-$200 is a reasonable price for that. Check and swap the air filter yourself...it's very easy. And yes, 2 year intervals for brake fluid is the recommendation and a very good idea to avoid future problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts