R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I was the only one out there that actually prefers the analog plus Nav VI vs TFT plus Nav VI? I basically spend my time using the NAV VI to see upcoming curves and also there is a screen option were you can display your digital speed on the lower right side of the NAV VI. Therfore, if I could get the bike cheaper without the TFT I would prefer that.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I see this as a step in the evolution of the dash. I would bet that in the next generation or two that it will replace the Nav altogether. Just slowly getting us acclimated to the concept.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me it makes the bike much more expensive and also makes the wonder wheel comand two screens instead of just one. I also love the look of the Analog dash. The TFT looks like an IPAD pasted on. I mean it looks fancy but nothing that makes me go "wow I need to upgrade my bike".

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I much prefer the TFT screen to the old analog which I find 90% useless.
The numbers are so small on the analog IP that I can't read them very well and the upper part of the tach is blocked by the Nav, I use the Nav device almost exclusively while riding.
From the reviews and videos online it is evident that the TFT display is much easier to read and also incorporates a few new features, I see no reason to not embrace this IP display except that people have a tendency to downplay something they don't or can't have.

·
Survivor
864 Posts
I much prefer the TFT screen to the old analog which I find 90% useless.
The numbers are so small on the analog IP that I can't read them very well and the upper part of the tach is blocked by the Nav, I use the Nav device almost exclusively while riding.
From the reviews and videos online it is evident that the TFT display is much easier to read and also incorporates a few new features, I see no reason to not embrace this IP display except that people have a tendency to downplay something they don't or can't have.
You're not still flying, are you?!?!?! :surprise:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see no reason to not embrace this IP display except that people have a tendency to downplay something they don't or can't have.
I like to wait to embrace something like this until its been out for a while. In other words they may just come up with a replacement of both TFT and NAV vI in the near future. Also, glitches will be completely ironed out after a few years. I can see the ANAlog gauges fine except for the Speedo which really does not matter since i can see it clearly on my nav vi

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You're not still flying, are you?!?!?! :surprise:
I am, and guess what kind of instrumentation the aircraft I fly incorporates?
We use a few analog instruments as emergency back-ups.

I like to wait to embrace something like this until its been out for a while. In other words they may just come up with a replacement of both TFT and NAV vI in the near future. Also, glitches will be completely ironed out after a few years. I can see the ANAlog gauges fine except for the Speedo which really does not matter since i can see it clearly on my nav vi
TFT displays have been out for years I have zero concern over the reliability of this technology, and if you wait for the next best thing you will spend your whole life waiting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like analog as I rarely need the preciseness of digital information. BUT, the more I look into the TFT the more I'm starting to like it. (Oh garcon, another glass of the BMW kool-aid please.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm sure TFT's are nice feature wise. I personally like analog. It's presents exactly the information you need and no extraneous, menu driven items to fumble through. The existing Dash is fine with me. I don't want my motorcycle looking like an appliance or an iPad.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,281 Posts
I like the TFT display, not sure I would buy one yet. I use the My Motorcycle display on my NAV V for all the info I need. I don't even know if the new TFT display shows the same info as My Motorcycle? I figure it will take a couple iterations for them to work out the gremlins on the new TFT.

·
Registered
890 Posts
While I like the analog, as jetspeed said, it is mostly useless. I use the right side for current consumption on top and usually range on the bottom, though I will scroll through tire pressures and voltage output engine temp. The speedo's numbers are way too small and the speedo on the gps is accurate.

Yes, I realize the NAV x can show those things, but the NAV x does not offer XM radio, so I have the 665--if it had XM, I'd have the NAV

I would not have any problem with something the size of a mini i pad to replace the dash, especially if I could configure its "desktop" to my liking.

ORs and most acute care units have had digital readouts, traces, curves, on TFTs for decades. They are very configurable and obviously easily read, and reliable out the wazou. There are very very few analog dials left and they are for mostly measures that are static. I would be totally comfortable with a big-a$$ TFT display. Not something to trade for, but if offered, I'm there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just bought a 2017 GSA with the analog gauges, I'm coming off a few motorcycles that have TFT displays; Ducati Monster 1200, Tiger XCx, and a Honda Africa Twin.

When it comes to the GSA, I'd have opted for the TFT IF the cost was the same as the analog. I find the analog speedo is too small to see if I'm going 40, 50, or 60 mph. Kinda important if there are police around. I'm usually 10 over the speed limit... Maybe I'll get used to it after awhile... I liked the Display on the Africa Twin. Nice layout and easy to see the important info. My Tiger XCx's display was a bit small so it was hard to see, but was bright enough. My Ducati the TFT was drowned out in bright daylight, so it was useless most of the time.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can't read a billboard without corrective lenses and even with, my vision at 71 years is not my strongest suite. It certainly keeps me off the road at night. That said, I completed an 11,000 mile ride this summer and found the analog display supplemented with the Nav VI to be most adequate. My corrected vision is no where near 20/20, the requirement for military pilots.

I could easily see the speed needle when necessary but generally used the GPS/Nav VI number out of convenience given the multitude of information, in addition to speed, it offers.

No objection here to the digital display but given it's reported weak mapping ability, I would still look for a more accomplished map/gps facility rather than depend on the current iteration of the TFT display and I'm no fan of Garmin excepting their aircraft flight deck arrays.

Where strict adherence to speed limits is required, common sense and survival instinct keeps me in line. When one can wind it up, the difference between 81 and 85mph is not an issue:nerd:

·
Registered
350 Posts
For my type of riding, the analogue screen combined with the GPS is adequate.
The TFT is clearly the future for all instrument displays. They will eventually be produced in such numbers that they will be affordable and fitment will be commonplace.

Reactions: ExHarley Rider

·
Registered
132 Posts
Analog

I am for everything analog.
Nature is not digital.
Although materialist philosophy would like it to be (atoms, quanta, particles etc...).
Digital is perverse human invention that sprung out of pure human weakness and inability to represent certain things in analog way. Similar to a straight line in architecture. It is not natural. Gaudi considered it weak.

To represent something in a digital way, something that was possible to be represented in analog way and worked well, to me is a step backward. (It looks fancy though).

I did not want to wait one month to get the GS with digital screen. I would never want it on my bike. Do not need any NAVs. I am in no rush. Nothing and nobody will rush me. If I get lost - it is a part of the adventure. No music, or anything that would distract me from pure riding pleasure. Especially no music which was created as analog, transferred to digital (f.cked up) and reproduced as lower quality analog.

I know what Jet is talking about. In aircraft digital replaced analog gauges, and it is helpful, but as he said the most important ones are left analog "just in case".

·
Registered
367 Posts
In aircraft digital replaced analog gauges, and it is helpful, but as he said the most important ones are left analog "just in case".
The very most important system on all modern commercial aircraft, control of flight surfaces for vertical, horizontal and longitudinal movement of the aircraft are digital, "fly by wire" if you will. Even when the computer is not in charge of controlling flight surfaces, there is no analog link between the pilot's input and the servos that manipulate the surfaces. There is however, redundancy, built into all these systems to ensure reliability.

I've seen what an analog wire between the control yoke and the elevator can result in when the wire becomes frayed where it changes direction over a pulley on a Twin Otter.

Digital applications are not limited to display functions on either an Airbus or my R 1200 GSA. I am not a motorcycle tech but I would forward to guess that even on BMW's analog speedometer and odometer, there is no rotating cable to the meter? Let's not leave out ABS, Dynamic Stability or the other digital functions on a modern bike.

I understand a preference for an analog display and objection to specific analog displays. Digital control of key mechanical functions is the order of the day, and is here to stay, however you display the variables.

"On A380 and A400M the last step is done: the mechanical linkage from cockpit control wheel to the actuator of the horizontal stabilizer is cancelled. Ultimate back-up is thus similar to A340-600 rudder one, but controlling rudder, one pair of elevators, and one pair of ailerons, based on pedals and sidesticks order. Technology is currently analog."

Beyond the redundancy offered in the fly by wire digital systems, some analog control of flight surfaces remains. A situation that would require its use however would be an extreme, last resort option. This is a complex topic and difference exist between the Boeing 777/787 and current Airbus equipment. Viva Digital!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I understand a preference for an analog display and objection to specific analog displays. Digital control of key mechanical functions is the order of the day, and is here to stay, however you display the variables.
You are right in most of what you have said. But the future might be in analog computers (again) because of the limitations of processor size. We are now down to i believe 7 nm processors, and they are getting pretty noisy. There are projects looking into ways that will free us from "digital tyranny" as they say in this article:

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/analogfuture/

So soon we might be talking about analog fly by "wire systems".

It is just that I have this aversion towards anything digital in the sense that analog world is represented by digital means. In my mind analog=true world; digital=fake (or virtual) world.
To me the fact that say digital TV image is made of thousands of tiny squares, which we can not notice with our eyes is just somehow disappointing. In other words, I can live with all of this. I just don't like any of it.

We might be confusing here words "electronics" and "digital". Electronics can be analog or digital or both. Computers are mostly digital today but seem to have bright analog future. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts