R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I much prefer the TFT screen to the old analog which I find 90% useless.
The numbers are so small on the analog IP that I can't read them very well and the upper part of the tach is blocked by the Nav, I use the Nav device almost exclusively while riding.
From the reviews and videos online it is evident that the TFT display is much easier to read and also incorporates a few new features, I see no reason to not embrace this IP display except that people have a tendency to downplay something they don't or can't have.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You're not still flying, are you?!?!?! :surprise:
I am, and guess what kind of instrumentation the aircraft I fly incorporates?
We use a few analog instruments as emergency back-ups.

I like to wait to embrace something like this until its been out for a while. In other words they may just come up with a replacement of both TFT and NAV vI in the near future. Also, glitches will be completely ironed out after a few years. I can see the ANAlog gauges fine except for the Speedo which really does not matter since i can see it clearly on my nav vi
TFT displays have been out for years I have zero concern over the reliability of this technology, and if you wait for the next best thing you will spend your whole life waiting.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
SiriusXM is likely left off the BMW Nav devices for the simple reason that the service is not available anyplace other than the U.S and Canada so why add the additional expense of implementing it into the GPS when customers in other regions can't use it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BMW sales almost 10% of their bikes in the U.S, the reason Asia appears to be so strong is that places like India, China, Thailand and other countries in that region buy up cheap crap and scooters like they're going out of style.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It's not a simple matter of conventional (needle) Speedometer and Tachometers being replaced by a digital TFT, it's all the other features and functions that go along with the new instrument display.
I do prefer the sweep of the needle when it comes to the Tach but I like a digital reading on the speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts