R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had the opportunity to choose as I ordered my new GS (arriving in February).
I am all for new technology but I think this is something of a personal preference. In my case I do not care for the connectivity aspect.
I do use the GPS so if the TFT had a GPS/map inbuilt I would love it. Maybe next iteration of the instrument cluster.
For the time being however, and for this type of bike, I asked many people what they thought suited this bike better and 95% of people I asked, said the analogue suited this bike better.
I may be showing my age, but I also prefer the analogue displays too.
On top of all that, the TFT was (in my case) extra $$
So I chose the analogue display.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the new TFT look but doubt if I will trade up just to get one. The newest Nav VI on the other hand might be worth selling mine V and upgrading as I have read the screen is far more readable in sunlight. That said , I would comment that the cost of replacement parts on these wonderful Beemers has all of a sudden reached a point of absurdity in my view and if you don't believe it wait till you have a relatively light crash and see how little it takes to declare your 20 K bike you just bought a Total write off. It is very upsetting to know I am riding around on such a fragile enterprise and makes the idea of going off road on an adventure in a whole new light. It takes surprising little to bend the newest frame , possibly due to the every pressure for designers to lighten the bike and more and more plastic should reduce cost but just the opposite is happening; Just for shids and grins I ran the numbers to replace the parts of my bike at retail level and all in not counting tires fluids or fasteners the total for the hard parts was over 70K . Not counting labor or soft parts it would cost over a hundred grand to get a dealer to build one of these guys from the parts department and that just seems wrong for a bike that is supposed to be designed to go out and play in the rock pile . Rant over.
I am afraid thats the case for all bikes (and cars these days)
A few years ago I bought a little Kawasaki Versys 650 to ship overseas and go on a few rides. Before I got to do that, a woman reversed into it at a car park (shopping mall) and the bike fell over. The cost to replace the plastics was more than half of what the bike was worth. Her insurance still paid for it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The thing that annoys me the most about the TFT display is that when an alert occurs, it flashes up on the display overriding everything else.
When the alert is critical, ie: flat tyre, its would be OK, but when it continues because something requires attention is just plainly annoying ie: low fuel etc.
I used to have a GTR 1400 Kawasaki which used to do this and whilst the alerts were on, you could not see anything else.
I have seen this TFT showing similar behaviour.
Thats why I like the conventional one, because although it shows a warning light, all the rest like speed tacho etc is still there and you can continue to ride without a large alert going on....
The other thing I don't like about it is the connectivity. The last thing I want is to get calls when riding, or to be warned on the display of an incoming call or for the bike to book itself in for a service....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts