R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. Picked up my new 2022 R1250gs with the TFT. So far I am not at all impressed. And quite disappointed in it really. I guess I was naive, but I just assumed the display or home page or whatever BMW calls it would be programable as to what you wanted displayed, much like the home screen on your computer desktop. Needless to say, when I learned all you can change is what shows up on the little information scroll line at the top of the screen...WTF. I couldn't even find the fuel gage! On my old 2015 analog, the fuel gage was ALWAYS displayed, as it should be...I shouldn't have to go looking for it. Then the whole connectivity issue...what a plumber's nightmare that is. I use a Senna 30K and have multiple bikes. So for my Senna to work properly with my phone, I have to pair it to the GS every time I get on that bike. And when it is paired to the TFT, as far I have been able to discern, I lose the voice command ability to stop, start, change songs, etc. Nothing intuitive about the BMW TFT at all. I hate having to toggle through page after page to find stuff. If I could swap the screen out for analog gage pod I'd do it in a second. I suspect I'll ride this bike a year and sell it. What was the last year of the analog gages...2017? Maybe I can find a nice low milage one.
I've had my 2021 since July and share the exact same sentiments. I sometimes wonder if the tech people even ride a bike to see if things like this are actually useful in day to day use. I completely agree that having to scroll to the fuel gauge, TPS, or engine temp is just plain stupid. They should have a dedicated spot on the screen, there's plenty of space.

One option I've occasionally used is to scroll to the Vehicle settings screen, the one that displays the bikes tire pressure, oil level etc and leave it on this screen. The speedometer is still visible at the top of the TFT, but you do lose the tach readout. The other option is to use the Nav screen (if you have that unit) to show bike status data.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
^ Don't get me wrong, I like the TFT for legibility, I just think the layout is poorly done. I still prefer it over analog though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts