R1200GS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It's not a simple matter of conventional (needle) Speedometer and Tachometers being replaced by a digital TFT, it's all the other features and functions that go along with the new instrument display.
I do prefer the sweep of the needle when it comes to the Tach but I like a digital reading on the speed.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
677 Posts
It's not a simple matter of conventional (needle) Speedometer and Tachometers being replaced by a digital TFT, it's all the other features and functions that go long withe the new instrument display.
I do prefer the sweep of the needle when it comes to the Tach but I like a digital reading on the speed.
I use a Garmin 276c and use the speedo readout while never consulting the sweep needle gauge. This unit also switches background color at night and is an excellent visual reference. Still consult the tach but mostly rev by ear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The thing that annoys me the most about the TFT display is that when an alert occurs, it flashes up on the display overriding everything else.
When the alert is critical, ie: flat tyre, its would be OK, but when it continues because something requires attention is just plainly annoying ie: low fuel etc.
I used to have a GTR 1400 Kawasaki which used to do this and whilst the alerts were on, you could not see anything else.
I have seen this TFT showing similar behaviour.
Thats why I like the conventional one, because although it shows a warning light, all the rest like speed tacho etc is still there and you can continue to ride without a large alert going on....
The other thing I don't like about it is the connectivity. The last thing I want is to get calls when riding, or to be warned on the display of an incoming call or for the bike to book itself in for a service....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thats why I like the conventional one, because although it shows a warning light, all the rest like speed tacho etc is still there and you can continue to ride without a large alert going on....
The other thing I don't like about it is the connectivity. The last thing I want is to get calls when riding, or to be warned on the display of an incoming call or for the bike to book itself in for a service....

That's easy fixed...don't connect your phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tft

You pay 25k for the bike and worry about $350 for Tft? No question to me it’s great, I can see the display now and indications. The sun or glare has no effect digital speed is great with rpm in a yellow color with red for engine temp

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if I was the only one out there that actually prefers the analog plus Nav VI vs TFT plus Nav VI? I basically spend my time using the NAV VI to see upcoming curves and also there is a screen option were you can display your digital speed on the lower right side of the NAV VI. Therfore, if I could get the bike cheaper without the TFT I would prefer that.
I wholeheartedly agree with your view. I also use the Nav VI in the same manner. I've read that the TFT is a bit redundant to having a Nav VI when viewing general information of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. Picked up my new 2022 R1250gs with the TFT. So far I am not at all impressed. And quite disappointed in it really. I guess I was naive, but I just assumed the display or home page or whatever BMW calls it would be programable as to what you wanted displayed, much like the home screen on your computer desktop. Needless to say, when I learned all you can change is what shows up on the little information scroll line at the top of the screen...WTF. I couldn't even find the fuel gage! On my old 2015 analog, the fuel gage was ALWAYS displayed, as it should be...I shouldn't have to go looking for it. Then the whole connectivity issue...what a plumber's nightmare that is. I use a Senna 30K and have multiple bikes. So for my Senna to work properly with my phone, I have to pair it to the GS every time I get on that bike. And when it is paired to the TFT, as far I have been able to discern, I lose the voice command ability to stop, start, change songs, etc. Nothing intuitive about the BMW TFT at all. I hate having to toggle through page after page to find stuff. If I could swap the screen out for analog gage pod I'd do it in a second. I suspect I'll ride this bike a year and sell it. What was the last year of the analog gages...2017? Maybe I can find a nice low milage one.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
57 Posts
My '17 GSA has the analog instrument panel along with the Nav V. I rode a '20 GS in the UK in September and I didn't think that much of the TFT. Zippy looking as the revs climb, but it's not anything I'd pay extra for if it wasn't standard equipment.

·
Super Awesom Person
773 Posts
Old thread. If you like your bike I wouldn't upgrade just for the TFT however after owning an 18 model with the TFT for the last 3+ years and 40k miles I wouldn't ever own another bike without one.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. Picked up my new 2022 R1250gs with the TFT. So far I am not at all impressed. And quite disappointed in it really. I guess I was naive, but I just assumed the display or home page or whatever BMW calls it would be programable as to what you wanted displayed, much like the home screen on your computer desktop. Needless to say, when I learned all you can change is what shows up on the little information scroll line at the top of the screen...WTF. I couldn't even find the fuel gage! On my old 2015 analog, the fuel gage was ALWAYS displayed, as it should be...I shouldn't have to go looking for it. Then the whole connectivity issue...what a plumber's nightmare that is. I use a Senna 30K and have multiple bikes. So for my Senna to work properly with my phone, I have to pair it to the GS every time I get on that bike. And when it is paired to the TFT, as far I have been able to discern, I lose the voice command ability to stop, start, change songs, etc. Nothing intuitive about the BMW TFT at all. I hate having to toggle through page after page to find stuff. If I could swap the screen out for analog gage pod I'd do it in a second. I suspect I'll ride this bike a year and sell it. What was the last year of the analog gages...2017? Maybe I can find a nice low milage one.
I've had my 2021 since July and share the exact same sentiments. I sometimes wonder if the tech people even ride a bike to see if things like this are actually useful in day to day use. I completely agree that having to scroll to the fuel gauge, TPS, or engine temp is just plain stupid. They should have a dedicated spot on the screen, there's plenty of space.

One option I've occasionally used is to scroll to the Vehicle settings screen, the one that displays the bikes tire pressure, oil level etc and leave it on this screen. The speedometer is still visible at the top of the TFT, but you do lose the tach readout. The other option is to use the Nav screen (if you have that unit) to show bike status data.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had my 2021 since July and share the exact same sentiments. I sometimes wonder if the tech people even ride a bike to see if things like this are actually useful in day to day use. I completely agree that having to scroll to the fuel gauge, TPS, or engine temp is just plain stupid. They should have a dedicated spot on the screen, there's plenty of space.

One option I've occasionally used is to scroll to the Vehicle settings screen, the one that displays the bikes tire pressure, oil level etc and leave it on this screen. The speedometer is still visible at the top of the TFT, but you do lose the tach readout. The other option is to use the Nav screen (if you have that unit) to show bike status data.
I'm with motormike and pcarnut, I don't see the point of the TFT. Tach takes up fully half of the available space, at best it's "nice to know" not critical information. Digital speed is ridiculous when we all know it reads low anyway - how useful is it really to know that that I'm going somewhere between 2% and 7% below exactly 53 mph? BMW has completely disabled the ability of US-spec bikes to display km/h, a significant impediment to those of us who cross into Canada or Mexico - at least the analog gage had that stupid dual-scale marking. Sure the supplemental displays are cool but the main display actually presents less information than the one on my 2016.

And now the newest models expect you to use your cellphone for navigation, no more "nav prep" with a cradle. For reasons of my own I have no wish to do that, and will continue to use a dedicated GPS. I just hope they don't do what BMW auto and Audi have done, require you to use a subscription service ($400/year) and app to send route data to the vehicle.

Reactions: Krons
41 - 60 of 62 Posts