R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been thinking about the TAT for awhile now. The more I think about the safety aspect, the more I think a riding partner is smart. Looking to start mid-late summer’23. Wonder if anyone else is planning the same and may want to consider pairing up.

· Administrator
2,092 Posts
Looking for someone to pickup your GS/GSA for you?
:D

Most I've seen/read about the TAT I'm not sure I'd take anything heavier than a KLR. May be something for my DRZ...

· Registered
55 Posts
I rode the TAT through Arkansas and there was only a 500 yard long section (Warloop Road) that would be a challenge on a R1200GS/GSA. And as long as your going east-to-west it’s doable. The other direction requires a highly skilled rider. I don’t know about any other part of the TAT.

· Registered
167 Posts
I rode the TAT through Arkansas and there was only a 500 yard long section (Warloop Road) that would be a challenge on a R1200GS/GSA. And as long as your going east-to-west it’s doable. The other direction requires a highly skilled rider. I don’t know about any other part of the TAT.
Road some of TAT in Missippi south of Memphis years back on a friend Honda Trans Alp. It was a challenge in places but not terrible. Not sure I'd try it on my R 1200 GSA, an F- bike would be more reasonable. Looking at the F750 as a second (OK, third) bike for more technical trail trips the big GSA is a bit too big for.

· Registered
10 Posts
I’ve been thinking about the TAT for awhile now. The more I think about the safety aspect, the more I think a riding partner is smart. Looking to start mid-late summer’23. Wonder if anyone else is planning the same and may want to consider pairing up.

I'm retired and prepared to go on short notice. I have ridden (Africa Twin) parts of the tat in west Virginia thru to NC,TN,MS and Arkansas solo. This last June I trailered (R1200GS) to Colorado and rode the passes and Moab UT. The first solo trip I dropped the bike in the mud on warloop rd, Ak. I could not right the bike alone, the rear tire kept slipping out. I waited 4 hours for a passerby. All he did was foot the rear and I picked it right up. I turned back home at that point thinking solo riding was foolish. This June while riding out west, I was struck by how isolated I was. Not a good place to be without help if need be!
The R1200GS proved to be an able ride, it's a tractor.
I would like to ride the entire trail with a comrade or 2.
Give me a buzz

· Registered
12 Posts
We rode the full length of the TAT in 2015 on KLRs. Honestly, about 90% of the TAT could be done pretty easily on a GSA. About 8% will get your attention but should be no problem for anyone that has any off-road experience. And 2% of it will challenge anyone regardless of what they're riding and those sections have pretty straight forward work arounds if you're not feeling up to the challenge. I'm going to do the TAT again, maybe on the 10 year anniversary of our last trip and I'll be taking my GS. It'll be way more capable/comfortable for the 98% of the trip and since 2015, I've taken my GS in to way more challenging terrain. If you're thinking of taking your GSA on the TAT, I would strongly recommend going to the 2 day BMW off-road school. I came away from that with more confidence than I ever would have achieved on my own.

The TAT route has changed since we rode it - mainly out west skipping a lot of two-track soft sand in Nevada and routing more through Idaho. ADVrider ride reports will be invaluable in setting your expectations for what to expect and how to prepare for the trip. My ride report from our adventure can be found here:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts