R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order a new adventure, and noticed that one of the options is "Automatic Stability Control" (ASC). I can't find any reviews or opinions regarding this feature, can someone please share whether this is worth the money or not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Do you think you will find yourself spinning the rear wheel often? If you never do that then it is not worth the money (IMHO). If you spin the rear wheel often when you'd rather not then buy it.

I suspect most folks don't know. I'd skip that option unless it was very cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response.

I am planning on riding 80% asphalt and 20% off road, but probably not more than trails. This feature is an additional $400. Also, if you don't mind me adding some questions, how useful is the tire pressure monitor?

I have to make up my mind before making the order since most of the accessories are factory assembly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more question:

Does anyone have any idea if the 2010 models are any different? And when are they coming out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Don't know about the 2010 models. I don't expect much (if anything at all) as the bike just went through a face lift. I certainly could be wrong.

Tire pressure monitor.... I have one, but not the BMW version. I like them, but only if I can change the set points. The BMW unit apparently doesn't let you do that. If you air down that 20% of the time you are on dirt you're going to be looking at low pressure warnings 20% of the time. I find that I check air pressure every time I leave my driveway -- much more often than I used to when I had to bend over with a gauge :D

$400 for ASC? Borderline for me. I've not been in danger from spinning the rear wheel on my '05. But the newer bikes have more horses. Dunno.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts