R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for comments regarding highway services and lodging. Planning to ride hard from MI to Wall SD, then the MadMaps Adventure America Wild West Ride, and back to MI. Crossing through IN, IL, IO, SD to WY. Might catch Cooke City and Red Lodge MO.
If you live in any of these states, how is motorcycles touring looked under your current COVID-19 orders.
And any other pearls of wisdom appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm in Des Moines, IA.

Pretty much all gas stations are open and many restaurants (even back to eat-in), I-80 traffic is a little bit lighter than normal but still steady. Hotel parking lots look desolate...I would plan and call ahead.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
124 Posts
I'm in Spearfish SD, I-90 Exit 14.
Motels are open, places to eat are open, we are seeing plenty of tourists and motorcycles here.
Montana lifts there 14-day quarantine on June 1st, Red Lodge should be OK
I rode from Spearfish to Sheridan, over to GreyBull, down to Tensleep, over to Buffalo and home on Tuesday last week.
Motels looked open, there were restaurants open, you shouldn't have any problem.

Note that we are seeing a significant uptick in COVID-19 cases in Western SD, especially in Rapid City.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
124 Posts
I go to Red Lodge frequently, 2-3 times a year, usually with some visiting riders.

When I lead folks to red Lodge I take this route which encompasses the "Best of the Big Horns"

531 miles and only a bit of Slab between Spearfish and Gillette WY, a good bit of slab can be eliminated if one wants to see Devils tower as well. Spearfish to Red Lodge Spearfish to Alpine Lodge Via Devil's Tower, but it will add another hour to the trip.

When in Red Lodge I prefer to stay at the Alpine Lodge ALPINE RED LODGE - A True Red Lodge Experience

Very friendly to motorcyclists. Wash rack, Towels to dry etc. Great Cooked to order al fresco breakfast,

·
Registered
297 Posts
Devil's Tower is worth the extra mileage. Did that with the family from Mt Rushmore to Yellowstone and glad we did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts