R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have R1250GS adv which I purchased brand new in January. It's been 3 months that I have started to notice rev is not stable between 2500 3000 rpm in any gear. It is up and down in any gear you actually feel surging and can literally see in the screen that it goes up and down approx 200rpm. On a flat road, it starts doing it in ~1 min, riding down the hill starts straight away especially cruise control on (it's like having your bike's drive chain never had maintenance and 60.000 km old). I finally had a chance and took it to dealer and told they couldn't find any issue as surging is normal as all r1250gs doing what I described. (I work a lot, don't have time during Mon to Sat)
Now all I'm asking is if you can ride at 60km/h in fourth gear. Or try to ride at constant speed and rev (between 2500 and 3000). Last dealer I took the bike said that these types of bikes is not like other bikes so rev range I notice this is low and I should ride in higher rev range rather than 2500rpm. However, I did not have this issue until 3500km.
I appreciate your time reading this and would be delighted if you can tell whether your bike does same as mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have R1250GS adv which I purchased brand new in January. It's been 3 months that I have started to notice rev is not stable between 2500 3000 rpm in any gear. It is up and down in any gear you actually feel surging and can literally see in the screen that it goes up and down approx 200rpm. On a flat road, it starts doing it in ~1 min, riding down the hill starts straight away especially cruise control on (it's like having your bike's drive chain never had maintenance and 60.000 km old). I finally had a chance and took it to dealer and told they couldn't find any issue as surging is normal as all r1250gs doing what I described. (I work a lot, don't have time during Mon to Sat)
Now all I'm asking is if you can ride at 60km/h in fourth gear. Or try to ride at constant speed and rev (between 2500 and 3000). Last dealer I took the bike said that these types of bikes is not like other bikes so rev range I notice this is low and I should ride in higher rev range rather than 2500rpm. However, I did not have this issue until 3500km.
I appreciate your time reading this and would be delighted if you can tell whether your bike does same as mine.
I have a R1200GSA (2018). I find anything below 3000 rpm is too low for cruising. I am generally always between 3000-4000 rpm.

As far as cruise control going downhill, the bike can "buck" a bit on steep descents as it tries to hold speed. Its not the engine's fault, just the way the cruise control is programmed. I think it gets confused and its on and off the throttle when engine braking is too much for its algorithm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi everyone,
I have a R1200GSA (2018). I find anything below 3000 rpm is too low for cruising. I am generally always between 3000-4000 rpm.

As far as cruise control going downhill, the bike can "buck" a bit on steep descents as it tries to hold speed. Its not the engine's fault, just the way the cruise control is programmed. I think it gets confused and its on and off the throttle when engine braking is too much for its algorithm.
I see that makes sense however mine does it on flat straight road too (Just to clarify; not with cruise control) and down hill.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you asking about one issue or two (surging and bucking when using cruise control). My 1250 GS does neither.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you asking about one issue or two (surging and bucking when using cruise control). My 1250 GS does neither.
Please ignore cruise control. Surging and bucking while riding without cruise control at say 60kmh in 4th gear. Does rpm moves up and down in the screen? Do you feel anything?
OP, rpm's are too low. The bike likes to run in the 35-4500rpm range. Under that you're lugging the motor. 37mph, you should be in 2nd gear, not one higher.
I see what you say. BUT does your bike do anything what I described?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Please ignore cruise control. Surging and bucking while riding without cruise control at say 60kmh in 4th gear. Does rpm moves up and down in the screen? Do you feel anything?

Can't say, I've never lugged the motor in that rpm range, it's not where the bike was designed to be run.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Can't say, I've never lugged the motor in that rpm range, it's not where the bike was designed to be run.
Thank you.
Some says its normal, some it is not. Found only 1 person nearby who has got same bike, does not have this issue (this person have had 9 r12 and now this bike, guessing throttle body issue since my bike does not start at first). I have ridden demo bike and didn't do anything like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought mine in January as well. R1250 ADV. 8k miles so far. No issues as you have described. Only issue I've had is the left heated grip doesn't heat as well as the right. Dealer blew me off saying it was because the right was on metal. Total bull.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am kinda new in this bike so I may need some help here, what gear do you choose in school zone (ie 40km/h = 24 mph)? my bike does want higher gear after ~2500 rpm as upper arrow appear above selected gear which I assume it needs higher gear guess Im wrong in this case

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am kinda new in this bike so I may need some help here, what gear do you choose in school zone (ie 40km/h = 24 mph)? my bike does want higher gear after ~2500 rpm as upper arrow appear above selected gear which I assume it needs higher gear guess Im wrong in this case
2nd gear. My master bmw mechanic whose worked on Beemers for 20+ years told me to stop lugging the motor [ which he thinks is anything below 3K ]. He prefers the bike be kept in the 3500-4K range, as high as 4500.

Keeping it in the range he suggests and not lugging the motor is actually better for the motor than running at 2500-3K. Since taking his suggestion, the bike gets better mileage [ not much but a little better ].

Like yourself, I rode easy, kept the rpm's low around town, but the bike wants to be within it's power band, not lugged around.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have noticed that my 1250 will make a blubbering sound with the exhaust when held at a constant speed in the upper rev ranges. I don't notice any loss of power or acceleration. I presumed that it was from the shift-cam holding the intake valves open. I will try riding in a higher RPM mode and see if anything changes. Unlike the OP, I don't see a variation in RPM on the tach when I hear the blubbering sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have noticed that my 1250 will make a blubbering sound with the exhaust when held at a constant speed in the upper rev ranges. I don't notice any loss of power or acceleration. I presumed that it was from the shift-cam holding the intake valves open. I will try riding in a higher RPM mode and see if anything changes. Unlike the OP, I don't see a variation in RPM on the tach when I hear the blubbering sound.
Thank you.

I took it to dealer for this issue, and it got SW updated. The battery also changed because of another issue (sometimes bike does not start- videos on YouTube). Unfortunately it still has this problem. Now I cannot ride in 1st gear at~15kph in a shared zone as it does this accelerating and decelerating. If this is normal as some forum members say, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took it to dealer for this issue, and it got SW updated... Unfortunately it still has this problem. Now I cannot ride in 1st gear at~15kph in a shared zone as it does this accelerating and decelerating. If this is normal as some forum members say, I don't know what to do.
15 km/h (9 mph) is pretty slow. Did the mechanic ride the bike? If you are still concerned take it back and ask him to ride it at a steady 15kph in 1st gear with no clutch.

I am probably on my clutch that slow on my 1200 and would not be surprised if it bucked a bit if I tried it in first gear without the clutch.

You have two very large pistons in your engine so power delivery will be "unsteady" at very low engine rpm's. The effect would be magnified in 1st gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I have to agree with some others on this subject. I too have an R1250 GS Adv, and compared to my Triumph Tiger Explorer it is pretty gutless below 3,000 RPM. In fact 3K is probably the slowest engine speed I would recommend in any gear. 3,500 would be better.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You're not doing anything wrong and it's just a matter of riding style. The bike is more responsive and smoother above 3500 rpm but I routinely ride around in parking lots or side roads in 3rd gear at 25 - 30 mph. You're not really "lugging" it unless you're giving it large throttle openings at <2,000 rpm. My 2016 1200GS is perfectly happy tootling around in stop and go traffic at 2,000 rpm. But give the proper conditions, I'll almost always shift between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts