R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a R1200GS Adventure, orignally I was looking at the 800GS but after test riding both I was blown away by the overall ride on the 1200. For the record, I only test rode on dirt track and highway. Considering I would mainly do dirt / gravel roads and highways I think the 1200 is for me...any comments? Also I would like any thoughts regarding ASC and ESA options. In Australia a new 1200 Adventure will cost around AUD34,000 without options, how much is it in the USA or Europe? Thanks for your inoput and comments, cheers Daz :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Greetings from Texas!

Hi there!
In Texas, you would be hard pushed to find one without ESA and ABS as well as the trip computer preinstalled - I have yet to see a basic GSA with no options on it over here. With that said, the price for a new GSA with the above options preinstalled comes to around $21K US in Texas.
If you also wanted ASC, you would need to order one with this option as they are usually not imported into Texas with this option and it is not possible to install this after the fact.
My GS has ESA, ABS and the computer but no ASC or tire pressure monitoring system...
I would highly recommend getting the ESA - very versatile system, especially when you venture off road. I think ABS is a no-brainer also. Just remember to switch it off when you go off road.
As for ASC, I have been living without it for years just fine but those who have it installed say that it does help those with jerky right wrists!
I hope all this was useful.
Regards,
A

·
Registered
379 Posts
Gidday Daz
I came over the ditch in 2010 to ride around Oz. Went anticlockwise from Sydney to Sydney - 23,000km in three and a half months. We included the gravel roads up the Cape York, the Gibb River Road and the Meanee (sp?) Track near Uluru. There were two of us both with R1200Gs - mine with ESA and ASC and his without. I would strongly recommend the ESA and ASC options. (Here you can't but them without I think - maybe you have to order specially?) The GS is great on gravel - they work hard in severely rutted roads and they HATE sand.

The GSA is a great bike - I especially like the 33litre tank but it is too tall. I think the R1200GS is the bike for me. In Unzud now, a new GS is around $NZ30,000.

I have a blog of that trip if you're interested: Ken's trip around Australia

Regards and good luck (come across the ditch sometime!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pilot & Ken

Thanks guys for the good advice and I intend to follow it. I have read a few reviews and blogs in the last 24 hours and the common line is that ASC & ESA are highly recommended. I received a formal quote from the dealer today so all I got to do now is take the leap and pay the deposit. The price with ABS, ASC, ESA and RDC is AUD30,800 incl on road costs. Gotta say I'm excited and nervous at the same time...it's a lotta dough!! That said it's been a dream to own a GSA for more than 10 years so i'm pretty well sold on doing it. Hopefully it will take be around oz, and the rest tof the globe...see you in Texas Pilot and I'll be over the ditch too Ken. By the way Ken, I checked out your blog...great trip you did, must have been excellent...and your blue Helga is a beautiful machine...wish they still had that colour.

Cheers Daz

·
Registered
32 Posts
If ever in Texas..

You are most welcome! Enjoy your new ride and if ever you are in North Texas, drop me a line so we can go flying/riding around this crazy state of ours!

If you get the chance, post some pictures of your GS when you get it!

Ride Safe,

Al - 210 Pilot

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cheers Daz
On to the next trip now. Leaving in mid-June for Vancouver then going north to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska and then south to Usuhaia in Southern Argentina. Taking my new bike which is GS Triple Black.

I think it will make the ride around Australia seem like a pootle! :):):) (Probably not going through Texas though Pilot)

Good luck with the GSA - we're all biased on this bulletin board of course but I think you'll love it. If you're coming across the ditch in 2013, give me a call. (I'm in Wellington)

Cheerz
Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Pilot

Thanks for the invite. I really hope to take you up on that, just got to find the time between projects (work) to tajke these rides. I also have a cousin living in Tennesee to visit, she says theres some great rides in some mountains near where she lives. I'll keeping dreaming.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ken

Man, you are one fortunate dude, I've been dreaming of that same trip from Alaska to most the most sourthern point in Sth America...will you be keeping a blog for the trip? I'd love to follow your progress.

I think I've been biased for more than 10 years, I have looked at other bikes..KTM...Yamaha....but I keep coming back to the GSA.

cheers Daz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts