R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a way of turning the auto cancel indicators off with out paying a dealer to do it, this is a new feature that they introduced in the last 12 months, there is no user changeable settings on the bikes menu, the dealer informs me that only they can disable the function at a cost of 1 hours labour which is about £130

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,903 Posts
All 13 of my 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 R1200GS's all had auto cancelled turn signals and was a welcome feature. Saved me many times from riding around with a blinker blinking away.

Not sure if a Moto Scan or Gs911 will be able to do this for you but either are more than 130 sterling but they do also do more....

·
Registered
89 Posts
TBH I'm still pissed my '18 GSA does not have auto CNX signals. My 03' HD has them, for bloody sakes even my 89 DeMIL'ed CHP KZ1000 had them. I think the only bike I owned that did not have them was a Honda CT90.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I first learned of the auto-cancel feature on my 2014 RT. Not sure how it works on earlier GS‘s (particularly with the separate turn signal switches) but on my 21 GSA it works on a speed/distance algorithm described in the owner manual; BMW calls it a ‘Comfort turn indicator’. I still tend to push the button in to cancel, reflexively.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
421 Posts
There is no need to turn them off. When I went to the scheduled service, I asked dealer to extend the time/distance traveled before canceling and they did so I'm OK with it now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
They auto cancel on my 2014, but it's not an intelligent cancel. It's more of just a time/distance cancel. I still cancel mine after the turn as I have been conditioned by Japanese bikes, and it has become habit. Much better to manually cancel, and not have them stay on for 20 seconds and confuse oncoming traffic. Especially important in urban areas. With all the technology in today's GSs, self cancelling turn signals seems a strange omission. It is also strange that Harley Davidson brought the auto lowering function to the table with their 1st year PanAmerica adventure bike. C'mon man!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
They auto cancel on my 2014, but it's not an intelligent cancel. It's more of just a time/distance cancel. I still cancel mine after the turn as I have been conditioned by Japanese bikes, and it has become habit. Much better to manually cancel, and not have them stay on for 20 seconds and confuse oncoming traffic. Especially important in urban areas. With all the technology in today's GSs, self cancelling turn signals seems a strange omission. It is also strange that Harley Davidson brought the auto lowering function to the table with their 1st year PanAmerica adventure bike. C'mon man!!
Don't actually know when HD started putting the 'smart' auto CNX turn signals on the bikes, but my 03 Ultra has them. As soon as I'm straight and level from a turn they turn off. A simple ball-tilt-switch is enough to make the circuit work, I'd think the clever Kraut's would have HD one-up'ed by now. But perhaps they over thought the thing and decided whatever it was they came up with was too complex or too expensive, or both.

I did decide to let the signals run this weekend when no one was behind me on a 2-lane country road. I signaled about half a mile before a steep dive in to a tight right hander and they stayed on for over 2 miles before they shut off. Guess about three minutes all told. Definitely not sensitive to any turning, that's been proven.

Just got to remember to go back to my riding from the 80's and remember to turn them off. Thought about adding a turn buzzer, but quickly dismissed that as too bloody annoying at stop lights. Besides, the wife would kill me for adding a beeping think to the bike, took her months to get over the backup alarm on the RAM 2500 HD until she realized that it actually helped when some lady was too busy looking at her phone to realize 7K of truck was backing up as she went to step off the sidewalk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Self cancelling. Don't feel alone. Must be part of the LOL, LMAO, ROFL generation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Self cancelling. Don't feel alone. Must be part of the LOL, LMAO, ROFL generation.
Na, it's military shorthand for cancel. Rather than trying to signal "Exercise opposing force is canceled" with flag semaphore, CW (Morse Code) on radio or ship-to-ship flashing light, the signalman would send EX OPFOR CNX.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts