R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking to add auxiliary stop light. No turns lights just simple extra light when the break is applied.
Where will be the best location to tap the wires. 1200GS 2013 LC is the bike.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look at that.
Currently I have pre Billie can opener witch is not compatible with Billie brake light so looking for different options.
Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
I dont know your setup, but Im running a HEX EZ Can and a brake light from superbright LEDs.....its amazing and cheap and has held up well these 2 years in a country like India where you are on the brake more than on the throttle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know your setup, but Im running a HEX EZ Can and a brake light from superbright LEDs.....its amazing and cheap and has held up well these 2 years in a country like India where you are on the brake more than on the throttle.
Where did you tapped the HEX EZ can input wires, this is really what I am asking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Billie Jr ran off the CanOpener (which are both running light and brake lights) and top mounted brake light only (no running light) which I run off a relay. The factory brake lights on these bikes are an embarrassment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where did you tapped the HEX EZ can input wires, this is really what I am asking.
Hexezcan provides its own wires, gets main power from a lead to battery. Not the same as splicing into existing wiring. Actually quite easy, but the device costs around $200 US.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@mitko69 we dont need to tap them anywhere running a HEX EZ CAN......the wires from the LED light go into the hexez can....its very simple and a beautiful device.
Ok, now I understand. I have Clearwater lights with pre Billie can opener, this model is not compatible with Billie brake lights.
I am thinking just to tap some sort of LED brake light with GS100 blinking module.
Anyone tapped directly to the brake light wires?

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
558 Posts
Ok, now I understand. I have Clearwater lights with pre Billie can opener, this model is not compatible with Billie brake lights.
I am thinking just to tap some sort of LED brake light with GS100 blinking module.
Anyone tapped directly to the brake light wires?
Yes I have. I just dropped the tail light housing and spliced into the existing harness using Posi Taps.

Posi-Tap MINI Connector 20-22 AWG Red / Gray Re-Usable Quick NO Crimping | eBay

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/images/P3-wiring-web-160.jpg

I source my lights from SuperBrightLEDs. I have added strip lights( combination directional/tail/brake) and driving lights to improve the factory set up.

·
BMWShane
3 Posts
I have applied a very simple solution, I purchased two high output LED's they are about an inch in diameter with a 6mm thread on the rear (ebay special) which screws to the top number plate holes (also helps attach the number plate). As these have almost zero amp draw I fabricated a small loom to go in series with the original Brake Light Bulb. If I didn't like it no harm done as just remove the loom and back to standard. No problems, no faults and can be scene for miles, and I have been getting great comments about this from other riders. Total cost was about $5.00.
If you wanted to mount some of the larger type LED's, thus larger current draw, as seen here all I would do is use the Brake Light Signal to fire a relay, this relay would gain its power directly from the battery thus bypassing any of the bikes computer systems, ie no faults registered. Just my opinion.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
558 Posts
I have applied a very simple solution, I purchased two high output LED's they are about an inch in diameter with a 6mm thread on the rear (ebay special) which screws to the top number plate holes (also helps attach the number plate). As these have almost zero amp draw I fabricated a small loom to go in series with the original Brake Light Bulb. If I didn't like it no harm done as just remove the loom and back to standard. No problems, no faults and can be scene for miles, and I have been getting great comments about this from other riders. Total cost was about $5.00.
If you wanted to mount some of the larger type LED's, thus larger current draw, as seen here all I would do is use the Brake Light Signal to fire a relay, this relay would gain its power directly from the battery thus bypassing any of the bikes computer systems, ie no faults registered. Just my opinion.
I have the same set up. Cheap simple and effective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found the Billie lamps to be dim, expensive, and just a bad marketing gimmick.

The option I chose was using LED modules designed for Police and Fire. I mounted two Feniex T3 Surface Mount LED units vertically on either side of the number plate. They are inexpensive at $35.00US each and fit nicely on either side of the BMW number plate bracket with just two small screws.

(c) 2020 All rights reserved

The image on the right gives you an idea of the brightness, but the T-3's are actually even brighter because the camera auto-compensated for the light level to prevent a washout of the image. The flasher is already built in to them and you can pick what kind of flashing by just grounding the blue wire for a moment to set the pattern. They will sync together and with other Feniex lights or you can set them to a master/slave and have them alternate against another set.

If you want something bigger (Billie sized, but with more LED segments and brighter) look at the Feniex Fusion LEDs. These cost $59.00US (The double stack is a bit of a bargain at $109.00US) and will get your attention. I know as I have them on the front brush bar of the FD Woods truck. People say they see the brush bar lamps before the roof mounted light bar.

For folks in areas that need overkill due to inattentive drivers (or in a state where pot is legal but the cops don't bust for stoned while driving until after they kill a biker), look at the Feniex Wide Lux Series. the 7 x 3 size is $109.00US. If you get rear-ended and the driver claims they did not see you or a brake light, you have a SOLID case for impaired or inattentive driving. The city has them for the regular brake lights on the rescue units as well as responding lights and IMHO (as a firefighter) they are too bright.

(Full disclosure: I do not work for, or own stock in, any company or service I comment on.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts