R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Having an issue with my 15 R1200GS. Closest dealer is 3 hrs away so I want to eliminate all possibilities before taking bike down on a trailer.

Stored bike last fall in garage. Full tank of gas &/inhibitor and battery charger.

Did the 50K km check before putting on road. Changed oils, plugs, filters and checked clearances.

First ride everything was going good until i got down to 2 bars on gas gauge and fuel light came on. Bike suddenly started running rough, hesitating, not getting full power. Suspected bad gas. Able to limp home and put in high octane Chevron. Got home added a small amount of seafoam.

Next day everything worked fine. Rode bike until gas gauge down to half way mark and filled up again with high octance Chevron. Everything fine for next trip.

Went for a long ride, everything fine until tank got to 1/2 ful. Some of the same problems appeared but were short lived. Got home and hooked up GS 911 and had 2 Oxygen Sensor codes but no engine light on bike? Cleared codes.

Ran bike until 2 bars in fuel gauge and problem came back. Thinking it might still be bad fuel working its way through I filled again with chevron high octane and small amount of seafoam. This time problem didn't go away.

Going to hook up GS 911 again and see if any new codes. Next step is to empty fuel tank completely and start with the normal fuel i put in to eliminate the bad gas theory.

Could it be the oxygen sensor? Shouldn't it trigger an engine light? Fuel control unit? Bad Gas?

Gas mileage didn't seem affected.

Appreciate any thoughts.

TIA

·
Registered
41 Posts
if it all works well till half tank then I would suggest something in the fuel tank, fuel pickup or something in that line...

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
160 Posts
Reminds me of a problem we that had with a John Deere wheel loader randomly stalling when less than 1/4 of tank... There was a loose rag in the tank... occasionaly covering the strainer... (a long time ago, I was a heavy equipement mechanics)

I'd start with a good inspection of the tank (when almost empty). On my 2009, fuel tank is not difficult to remove (I don't know for the 2015) so I'd remove it and turn it upside down.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
594 Posts
Just a thought based on the theory of fuel pumps immersed in fuel tank. The gas in the tank keeps the pump cool. Nothing will kill a pump like running with less than 1/4 tank ( on autos ). Maybe, your pump is on the verge of failing and heat is causing it to falter. Just askin'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Submerged fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel going thru the pump not being submerged. What it be a good idea to put something that gets hot in a closed container with gas fumes? That is why they say it is bad to run a tank dry because the pump has no gas going thru it to cool it. Sounds like a fuel filter issue. Be interesting to know the answer when you figure it out Grumpy. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nothing new, but sounds like gummed up old gas has clogged something. Fuel filter, fuel pump injectors. most likely need to dismantle and clean everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts