R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 R100 RT, 2018 R1200 GS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky me, I had a pair of SW-Motech's Bar Back's https://sw-motech.us/bike/BMW/R1200G...2572026984.htm available to try on my 2018 R1200 GS. SW-Motech claims extending the cables and brake lines are not required; however, it appears that the brake lines and electrical wires are being pulled slightly when the handlebars are moved to either the extreme left or right. While it's rare to move the handlebars that much, it does happen. Anybody else have this issue? I'm not sure it's best to leave them on; as such, I'm tempted to take them off. What are other's thoughts here?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the ROX barbacks. The cables are pulled slightly by the bars but aren't stressed. I can still jiggle them by hand.

There are instructions to reroute the cables if you think yours will be a problem. I left mine alone.
The instructions seem good except that they do not indicate the proper torque spec for the top nut. I can across this list of torque specs, but I wasn't 100% sure which bolt and torque spec applies. http://www.jvbproductions.com/Wethead Torques 4.pdf Can someone let me know what the appropriate torque spec is for that bolt?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the ROX barbacks. The cables are pulled slightly by the bars but aren't stressed. I can still jiggle them by hand.

There are instructions to reroute the cables if you think yours will be a problem. I left mine alone.
So I tried this, and the right side did not work. No matter how I moved the brake line/electrical cables, I could not find a place were the forks did not hit the lines or the lines would have been somewhat kinked. It's a bummer. Consequently, I removed the bar backs. Back to the drawing board. I'm thinking just plain bar risers and not bar backs may work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts