R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Feeling a little shoulder and neck pain during long rides. Would prefer to sit a little more upright when riding.

I am six feet tall, 200 lbs. I ride a 2018 R1200GS, standard height with a standard seat and stock foot pegs.

I am leaning towards the Wunderlich bar risers:

Ergo Handlebar Risers (#41970011-111) Oil and Water Cooled (1994 to present) 41970011-111 | BMW Wunderlich America

as I like their quality, fit and finish. Was searching this topic on the forum and noted that several riders purchased the ROX bar risers. They offer fixed risers and pivoting risers.

The Wunderlich risers come in two sizes. Neither require modifications to the cables, except some minor re-routing.

They have a 25mm size which raises the bars up and back one inch. They also have the 40mm size which raises the bars 1.6 inches.

My question is directed to riders that are roughly my height and riding a GS with a similar setup to mine. Which is better? The 25mm or the 40mm for comfort?

For those recommending the ROX risers, please specify height of risers and whether you bought the fixed or pivoting type.

Not really interested in lowering foot pegs or changing seats at this point. Want to give the bar risers a try first.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the fox, th pivoting version. I don't recall the size, but they're the largest/tallest.

I'm 5'11

Because they pivot, I can raise the bars, and bring forwards or backwards as needed. Made an major difference to me.

Had to reroute the cables.

Kam

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the 25mm Wunderlich risers. It also depends on arm length. I am 5'11" and sleeve length in shirts is a 34-35. I like the fact that it moves the bars a little closer for a more relaxed position for my shoulders. Used the same risers on my 2015 and now my 2018.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 25mm Wunderlich risers. It also depends on arm length. I am 5'11" and sleeve length in shirts is a 34-35. I like the fact that it moves the bars a little closer for a more relaxed position for my shoulders. Used the same risers on my 2015 and now my 2018.
I have a 34" sleeve as well. You must be satisfied with the quality as you bought them again. Do the bar risers interfere with your tank bag? (assuming you have one)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a 34" sleeve as well. You must be satisfied with the quality as you bought them again. Do the bar risers interfere with your tank bag? (assuming you have one)
I am near similar to you in height and weight! I have the ROX pivoting risers. Where exactly is the sweet spot will take some adjustments.....I also had arm and shoulder pain, installed the risers......the pain went away BUT the bike lost some sharpness in handling.....Cannot define what I mean by this but something goes off...a wee bit.
Then I removed them and the arm and shoulder pain came back in one day....so I put them again, and this time tried a few positions and now have 10000kms pain free and decent handling...its still not that sharp though.
With the ROX and the position I have them in the tank bag is ok

·
Registered
28 Posts

I don't use a tank bag but I wouldn't think they would interfere unless you had an extremely large bag. I have not noticed any difference in how the bike handles with these risers. And yes the quality is great and they match the stock bars perfectly, another reason I went with these again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Day late and a dollar short....

I experienced shoulder pinch on long hauls so I rotated the stock bar setup about one witness mark down, (or up) I can't recall. The change in elevation/angle at the bar ends was an inch or so and completely solved my problem. I'm 6'-0" and around 200 but I think there are too many variables to physique to expect identical results.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tried both TT’s 2.5 & 4.0 cm. Even with the Rallye high seat found the 4.0 a tad too high when seated. If I were to spend a lot of time on the dirt standing, the 4’s would be my choice but the 2.5’s with bars rolled slightly up are a good compromise for me at 6’3” 33” in seam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Feeling a little shoulder and neck pain during long rides. Would prefer to sit a little more upright when riding.

I am six feet tall, 200 lbs. I ride a 2018 R1200GS, standard height with a standard seat and stock foot pegs.

I am leaning towards the Wunderlich bar risers:

Ergo Handlebar Risers (#41970011-111) Oil and Water Cooled (1994 to present) 41970011-111 | BMW Wunderlich America

as I like their quality, fit and finish. Was searching this topic on the forum and noted that several riders purchased the ROX bar risers. They offer fixed risers and pivoting risers.

The Wunderlich risers come in two sizes. Neither require modifications to the cables, except some minor re-routing.

They have a 25mm size which raises the bars up and back one inch. They also have the 40mm size which raises the bars 1.6 inches.

My question is directed to riders that are roughly my height and riding a GS with a similar setup to mine. Which is better? The 25mm or the 40mm for comfort?

For those recommending the ROX risers, please specify height of risers and whether you bought the fixed or pivoting type.

Not really interested in lowering foot pegs or changing seats at this point. Want to give the bar risers a try first.

I have similar Wunderlich risers on my '08, on which I needed higher bars for standing. I prefer them, in my application, to the original swiveling Rox because they are less fiddly to set up.

BUT, they may not help you much. If you take your hands off the grips and raise them up 25mm, you'll see that it doesn't change the position of your torso much. To sit straighter, you need to move the bars back as well as up. (The risers you mention do move back, but only because of the angle of the steering crown.)

These might be better: https://www.advdesigns.com/rox11barifor.html

·
Not that senior.
699 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im m5'11 and 140Lbs, with 31 inches from my arm pit to the tip of my fingers, and use the ROX risers that are adjustable back. When I set the cruise I'm able to sit straight up and keep 3 fingers on the right grip...Its not my 2006 1800 Goldwing but then again I knew it wouldn't be. Around town I lean in slightly.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
6'1" with a 34" inseam. On my '06 GS, I run the seat in the high front/low rear position (that the manual pretty much tells you not to do), and have a set of ROX B17R-15M non-adjustable risers that move the bars up and back 1.5 inches. This combination works pretty well above the waist, though I still feel my legs are a bit cramped. Last year, I also ran a Seat Concepts "tall/GSA" foam/cover kit, which gave me better legroom but had me reaching too far forward (like stock seat and bars without risers), plus it got me just high enough to experience all kinds of shoulder and helmet buffeting. So, back to the terrible stock seat for now, and I guess if I want more legroom I'll look into lower footpegs. Anyway, I like the ROX risers a lot. They clear my tank bag (an old Buell item that I think was made by Wolfman) and provide the added bonus of just enough clearance in front that I can clamp a water bottle holder to the handlebar without blocking my view of the speedometer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts