R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding from Anchorage, Alaska to Tuktoyaktuk, NW Territories in the end of June and beginning of July. Average daily temps in Tuktoyaktuk are 35F-52F each day. I don't have anything for base or mid-layering yet. I want stuff that I can easily wash & dry without machines. All the big names make stuff but come with big price tags (Klim, REV'IT, RUKKA, etc.). What moisture-wicking, easily "dryable" layers are y'all using that work well?

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
588 Posts
I just completed a month long buying spree at CycleGear.com for base layer and outerwear. Haven't even spent $250.00. The inventory includes;

1. Base layer torso underwear top
2. Base layer long john underwear bottom
3. Zippered Jacket /Gilet w/ zip out sleeves
4. Freeze out skull cap
5. Glove liners
6. Breathable windproof riding pants
7. Sedici weatherproof leather riding gloves

8. etc ; probably forgot something. Their sizing is quite accurate for me since I am 6'4" and used to problems with length.

It's a warehouse clearance event. Free shipping. up to 78 % off full price retail I am ready for years to come.

I am not affiliated in any way with them, but enjoy their products. Check for retail stores in your area. Their return policy ( although I have not needed it ) is quite friendly. :smile2:

https://www.cyclegear.com/base-layers?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180219_CGD_BaseLayers&utm_term=Cycle%20Gear%20%7C%20Active%202017

·
Super Moderator
697 Posts
Any synthetic wicking base layer is fine. Under Armor, Columbia, LLBean, Nike, Champion, etc. just about everyone makes it these days. I carry an electric jacket liner for a mid-layer when required. Otherwise my Klim Badlands with just a base layer is fine down into the 50's F. But everyone's temperature sensitivity is different. I ride with a friend sometimes that has about 2% body fat and he rides with his Gerbing jack under his outer wear when it's below 75 degrees :)

I've been taking multi-week trips for the last several years from snow and ice in high elevations to 100+ degrees riding in terrain that required a lot of work - all within the same week - and I don't own a stitch of base layer stuff from Klim or Rukka or the other premium ADV gear brands.

I carry enough base layer stuff (shirts and leggings) for about 5 - 6 days and plan to do laundry about every week on the road. Heck with sink washing stuff - I find a laundry and throw it all in machines. I'll sit out in the parking lot or some nearby shady spot doing some light bike maintenance while the clothes are washing or drying. If you're still someone that packs cotton stuff like t-shirts and jeans, you'll be amazed at how small and light your week's worth of clothes can be with all synthetic stuff. For dressier moments, I carry hiking pants and a synthetic button up shirt or two. NO COTTON!

·
Registered
190 Posts
OP

Can you share your expected route? I am very interested in this ride.

I had understood that ice highways were the only way there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've spent big money on the motorcycle-centric stuff and found it worked no better than the Under Armor stuff I buy from their Outlet Store. The under-armor stuff works great. Their winter base layers are amazingly warm and not bulky. Their Summer gear works great and breathes really well. I say "Outlet Store" as they put out new stuff every season/year so the previous season stuff just doesn't fit their "colors" for the year, but it all works the same and its cheaper than the motorcycle specific stuff...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've spent big money on the motorcycle-centric stuff and found it worked no better than the Under Armor stuff I buy from their Outlet Store. The under-armor stuff works great. Their winter base layers are amazingly warm and not bulky. Their Summer gear works great and breathes really well. I say "Outlet Store" as they put out new stuff every season/year so the previous season stuff just doesn't fit their "colors" for the year, but it all works the same and its cheaper than the motorcycle specific stuff...
This was the route I was planning to go. Outlet stores for the win!. I knew someone had used Under Armour type base layers before and had good results. Good to hear that any wicking stuff works. I'll look at the Cyclegear site and then see what I can pick up at the local outlet mall. Thanks all for chiming in!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP

They finished creating a permanent road from Inuvik, NW Territories all the way to Tuktoyaktuk, NW Territories. Google doesn't recognize the Top of the World highway so it will route you waaaay out of the way. Some mapping programs also don't recognize the ferries and will say the route cannot be mapped. Dawson to Tuktoyaktuk works in Google. Try it!

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
OP

They finished creating a permanent road from Inuvik, NW Territories all the way to Tuktoyaktuk, NW Territories. Google doesn't recognize the Top of the World highway so it will route you waaaay out of the way. Some mapping programs also don't recognize the ferries and will say the route cannot be mapped. Dawson to Tuktoyaktuk works in Google. Try it!

Thanks. Very helpful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Very helpful.
Sure thing! Obviously, I'll have a separate track for Anchorage to Dawson. Ferry at Dawson, then select the next section pre-loaded in the GPS. Funny that Google knows about the two ferries north of Inuvik but not the one in Dawson.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Base Layer

Ive used northface and under armor!
Both moisture wicking work well
On a ride to Leh (India) temperatures range from 110F to 25-30F

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ive used northface and under armor!
Both moisture wicking work well
On a ride to Leh (India) temperatures range from 110F to 25-30F
That trip to Leh (Ladakh) is harry but very rewarding. The lake near the China border is gorgeous. I had tea w the Indian army not too far from there! What road is that please?

·
Registered
677 Posts
That trip to Leh (Ladakh) is harry but very rewarding. The lake near the China border is gorgeous. I had tea w the Indian army not too far from there! What road is that please?
So there are a couple of lakes we go to....the most popular is called pangong tso, from there we head out to visit hanle which is an observatory and then onwards to the other 2 lakes Tso Moriri and Tso Kiagar

It is rewarding and a very dangerous ride......but so much fun

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have done the trip multiple times on the Tiger 800! Would love to do it on the beemer....Dont know how she will handle that terrain

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have done the trip multiple times on the Tiger 800! Would love to do it on the beemer....Dont know how she will handle that terrain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangong_Tso

Yes that's the one. We drove in a SE direction on NH1D from Leh and then NW along smaller dirt roads and never were off road for the entire trip to Pangong lake where we stopped to skip rocks and have sandwiches. We were told that if we kept driving along the Northwesterly road we would soon be in China, but we had no visas. So we turned around and headed for the town where we had tea in the guard house with Indian army. Some really majestic views and very friendly people. Town of Leh reminds me to some extent of Lake Tahoe, though it closes to the outside world in the winter time. (We arrived late November and the towns hot water had already been shut.)

[Truly sorry to hijack this posting. Let me know if I should start another.]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mid layer clothing

I have switched to Peak Performance gear for mid layer clothing. This stuff comes from Europe and if expensive, but it usually goes on sale in the ski shops in the spring for 50% off. The gear is very light, warm, and last forever.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
129 Posts
I've put 60,000 miles on my Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants including a 2017 trip up the Dempster to Inuvik which was the End-of-the-road at that time.

It is all in what you wear underneath.

My basic outfit is LDComfort Long sleeve shirt and LD Comfort Long Underwear as my base layer.
This works for me from 55-90F with adjustment of vents as the temperature rises.
As the temp goes above 90F I close all the jacket vents, wet the sleeves of the LDComfort shirt, open the collar to the jacket and regulate the air conditioning by varying the air I allow to flow through the sleeves. Cooling effect lasts for 2-3 hours depending upon air flow. I've used this up to 110F in the desert and in the Deep South 100% Humidity/100F.

When it is cooler than 60 I put on my Gerbing Electric Jacket on and adjust the thermostat as needed. If I'm going to ride all day at 50F or below I'll shift from LD Comfort Long Underwear bottoms to a heavyweight Merino Wool set of Long Underwear bottoms and wool sox. I've ridden in 30-36F rain and snow for an entire day with this setup and have not been too cold.

My Latitude gear is looking pretty ratty, but still watertight, I think I'll replace it with another set of Latitude gear before I set out for Alaska in June. As always I'll check with Alex at Black Hills Moto for the best deal. Call them as KLIM has a Minimum Advertised Price, which Alex often beats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts