R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Tyre to travel to create routes but find I have to drag the GPX route into the GPX file to be able to get the waypoints to work, Not ideal but usable.
So, I thought id have a bash with basecamp, Is it me not really getting my head around it or is it a shit bit of software?

Thanx

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have not been able to use Basecamp sucessfully, but I am computer illegitimate. There is tutorial on YouTube somewhere. It seems very complicated for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Base Camp - proper setup is crucial

I struggled with BaseCamp until I found this tutorial. http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
I had tons of issues with BaseCamp. It was taking 15-30 minutes to calculate a route. Very slow and painful. I realized that others were able to use it so I figured it must be something about the way I was using it. I run on a fairly powerful laptop with the latest gen i7 processor, 8GB of RAM and SSD drives - so nothing should slow it down.

I followed the setup instructions at the link above and suddenly it started routing almost instantly. Most of the issue was with the avoidances. Once I unchecked those (as recommended above), it's actually usable.

Not crazy about the interface, but then again - crucial tools are hidden by default. Once you turn them on it's much easier to use (although still not great). My advice is that if you have a Navigator, put in a bit of time to learn to use it. Plenty of You Tube video tutorials out there that I found helpful. YMMV

Tags: Garmin, Basecamp, slow

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use Tyre to travel to create routes but find I have to drag the GPX route into the GPX file to be able to get the waypoints to work, Not ideal but usable.
So, I thought id have a bash with basecamp, Is it me not really getting my head around it or is it a shit bit of software?

Thanx
I have used BaseCamp quite a lot but mainly just for loading .gpx files onto my Garmin devices and storing tracks and routes. I use other gps editors like RideLeader to actually create my tracks then upload those files to BaseCamp. BaseCamp seems very awkward to me for creating routes...The free Rever software seems quite easy to use for creating routes but I have not tried to make one and then transfer it to BaseCamp.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Did the above tutorial a couple o years ago and I find it usable if not the most intuitive software I have used.

I like being able to load a new ride into Base Camp from my Nav and save it for future reference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BC is useable, but not as intuitive as MapSource. I use it because I've become a fan of TRACKS rather than ROUTES. I really don't need the GPS recomputing every time I diverge from the route. I can find my way back to a track, have no problem following the magenta line.

The Basecamp tutorial videos (youtube) are pretty good, and an absolute necessity to avoid frustration. Garmin has taken much heat over the cost and complexity of their products. The ONE THING that keeps me coming back to Garmin is this:
EVERY TIME I have called their Tech Assistance department, I have spoken with a human being (real time!) and they have walked me through whatever procedure necessary to fix my problem. Every time. Try that with DeLorme, TomTom, or even Microsoft.

·
Lifetime Rider of Bikes
42 Posts
Base Camp is a lot of things . Intuitive not so much.

Interesting responses to the thread and I will have to go along with those who think it is not the most intuitive software and likely impossible to get a result without some sort of tutorial help .

That said , on a recent 1000 mile trip one of our Mates plotted and entire trip up and back to a great location friendly to bikes and made a plotted base camp file which he emailed to me . I uploaded it to my Nav V and with a few hiccups about which part to upload and which part to ignore was able to follow the routes and way points with no problems.

The chap who did it all is much younger and apparently has no problem with Base Camp and that is what I might try and accomplish over the winter months going forward. I do wish I'd waited for the NAV VI , though from what I've read about the screen being improved .

cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
The link is no longer active. Looks like someone didn't pay the bills. :grin2:

Any other links to something similar that anyone knows of?

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Basecamp is actually a powerful tool for creating and using tracks, routes, and special POIs on your rides but intuitive it is not. I think google maps is probably what most people think of for an intuitive mapping interface and BC is nothing like that - it's just different and requires a brain reset and surrendering to it's user interface instead of fighting it. I hated it at first until I finally surrendered and I've been using it very successfully to plan and ride some very complicated ADV rides lasting multiple weeks.

I have a large number of ADV ride tracks that I've downloaded from various sources and more than a few of my own tracks that I've recorded and organized from my own rides. I keep all of that in basecamp and can pretty easily mash up a new ride plan by stitching together pieces of all the information I've collected. For example, we rode the full TAT in 2015 and wanted to do something similar in 2016 but with less logistical cost/hassle. So I created something I called my Frankenstein route that went from Maggie Valley NC to NY state by stitching together the body parts of many different sources of tracks including a few of my own. I did all of that in basecamp by merging, cutting, and hacking on tracks from a variety of different sources.

This is our east coast Appalachian route with a return back to Punxatawny PA for the Phil Fest :)

The vast majority of lines on this map are rides already done with a few yet to be ridden. I enjoy spending time over the winter planning where we might ride next year and I do that in basecamp:

Reactions: Lowcruzr

·
Registered
761 Posts
Where?

I hate BC, but I have loaded some routes others have created and I would like to find a depository of others!

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
I hate BC, but I have loaded some routes others have created and I would like to find a depository of others!
I get a lot of my tracks from prowling around on the ADVrider.com site. There's a huge wealth of info there and I've contacted a number of the guys there off the forum who have been happy to share their tracks and experiences for places I've planned to visit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Basecamp is not for most people

1. I speculate that it was was initially developed by/for their engineers, or perhaps for professional mapping users, and not really intended for the general public. It has a lot more functionality (and complexity) than most people need.

2. Garmin no doubt is fully aware that it is not considered user-friendly or well-received. However, judging by the posts, those who do take the time to figure it out seem to make good use of it (though I would recommend that most people just avoid it.) Nevertheless, I do appreciate Garmin letting the masses have a crack at it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
1. I speculate that it was was initially developed by/for their engineers, or perhaps for professional mapping users, and not really intended for the general public. It has a lot more functionality (and complexity) than most people need.

2. Garmin no doubt is fully aware that it is not considered user-friendly or well-received. However, judging by the posts, those who do take the time to figure it out seem to make good use of it (though I would recommend that most people just avoid it.) Nevertheless, I do appreciate Garmin letting the masses have a crack at it.

doesn't sound like a real good business model to me, but as they are the only game in town, they can get away with it, at least for now.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I've been using GPS since about 2000 and it has come a long way. Garmin's Mapsource was easy to use and I was quite happy with it. They stopped supporting it and, when I got a new computer, it crashed constantly so I went kicking and screaming into BaseCamp. Man, I hated it! Lowcruzr posted the New England Riders link and that became my "GPS bible." Using their instructions, I finally had my "ah-ha" moment and, now, I have no issues with BaseCamp. Yesterday, I worked on an upcoming trip:

I've still got work to do and BaseCamp allows me to organize and load it onto my Nav V's SD card by date. All I have to do each day is turn on the unit, select the route and hit "Go."

Keep at it and you'll get it.

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep at it and you'll get it. Mike
I went through the entire tutorial from the link I posted. I've created/transferred several files from Basecamp to my Nav 6 but each time I do, all the Waypoints I used in the rides get tossed into my Favorites folder on my NAV6. I've searched on R1200GS.info as well as the ADV Rider forum but have had no luck. Youtube wasn't helpful, nor was Google. I've been deleting all the favorites each time I import a track. Haven't had my "ah-ha" moment yet. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
So the Nav VI loads your waypoints into Favorites automatically? With my Nav V, I have to load them in there myself . . . no big deal, though. I want them in there in case I go off my daily route and do some exploring. When I want to return to my regular route, I can easily find it (the closest waypoint) in 'Favorites.' Sometimes, I'll just find my destination for the day, select it and hit 'Go.' When the trip is over, delete all the waypoints.

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
So the Nav VI loads your waypoints into Favorites automatically? With my Nav V, I have to load them in there myself . . . no big deal, though. I want them in there in case I go off my daily route and do some exploring. When I want to return to my regular route, I can easily find it (the closest waypoint) in 'Favorites.' Sometimes, I'll just find my destination for the day, select it and hit 'Go.' When the trip is over, delete all the waypoints.

Mike
From what I'm experiencing, yes. It could be something I'm doing that makes this happen. Not sure. If you have a large trips with dozens and dozens of Waypoints you'll have a very congested Favorites folder which isn't at all helpful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts