R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to up load a video and couldn't so I'll try to explain the problem
I'm new to Basecamp but I thought I had a pretty good grip on the basics.
I'm trying to plot a ride.
Whats happening is I'm trying to turn off a road onto another road and instead of connecting the way points next to each other it picks a route that goes all the way around and back to the second way point.
Specifically. The end of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Cherokee NC, trying to make a left turn onto Bia 1410. I zoomed in all the way, I've tried to make my way points close together or farther apart and every time it routes out to 441S to Bia 441 and back up to the way point I chose on Bia 1410 and I can't figure out why.
I went into Routing options and unchecked everything under Avoidance's and tried all 3 route preferences. :confused:

·
Registered
795 Posts
welcome to basecamp (sarcasm intended)

I feel your pain. The simplest fix for that I've found is to put your points closer together, IOW beat basecamp on the head with a frying pan until you make it do what you want. I'll warn you that when you import your route, it may or may not go through as drawn, IOW when it hits your gps the recalc may still occur. ALWAYS go over your route on the gps before you blindly follow it.

I will add that I recently plotted the blueridge pkwy and met with frustration also. Once you're on the pkwy it is pretty easy to follow, but meeting up with it, getting back on it, leaving it can be challenging. It would seem that it should be easy as pie, right? It isn't. Basecamp kept directing me to I 81....and you would think that something as famous as the BRP would be highlighted on "travel" software like basecamp, but it is NOT. In fact, you have to go into a pretty magnified screen to see it and it is labeled with 0.0006 sized font.

Basecamp is profoundly infuriating software. It's not you, it's garmin and the so-called software. Another warning, if you use it frequently, you may remember the arcane steps involved, but if you use it infreqeuntly, there is a learning curve every time. User hostile.

Pray for google or apple or motorola etc to make a gps using google maps.

also, it may help to do a search on gps track blueridge parkway...there is a site that has an importable file of that that may or may not work for you

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried various options in Basecamp and got the same results with 1410. I also tried Tyre and got the same results with connecting as you did, routing on 441 and not 1410. It works better if you start from the south and go to the BR Parkway, but at some point the routing reverts to 441 and not directly on 1410. :frown2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried Basecamp, Tyre, and Microsoft Streets and Trips with the same result. However if you look on Google earth the problem is clear. The Blue Ridge Pwy goes over 1410 and there is not an exit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I have tried all of the above suggestion. The one about putting the multiple way points close together has worked for me in the past at a different location.
It is frustrating when technology doesn't work as advertised, you never know if it you or the technology. It would appear that the problem is a mapping error, Basecamp shows BRP going over 1410, when it doesn't. Unless they built a bridge this winter I know it doesn't.
Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Millsaps...
be aware that the part of the BRP that addresses Mt Mitchell was closed (in Sep/Oct 17), iow the BRP was closed at that point and I had to exit. Also, getting back on it from Mars Hill was not easy. It would seem that from many places all you have to do is ride east or west, but not all cross roads have access to the BRP. Wound up with about a 15 miles detour, lost and asking a postman for directions to it. He laughed when I asked, ie not the first time he's been asked, or it IS difficult to find in some areas, or I'm an idiot, or some combo of those factors

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Look at the intersection of Blue Ridge Parkway and Bia 1410 in Google Earth Pro.
Ha! Yeah, the map is not the territory. Lines crossing on a map do not mean you can get from one road to another. I remember my GPS once telling me to turn left due to a route I programmed. Wasn't going to happen. The roadway for the cross street was about 70' above my head!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts