R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 computers I use for BaseCamp route planning; a desktop in my office and a MS Surface to be mobile. I get irritated that both computers don’t have the same information on them. So I investigated and resolved the issue. Here's what I did. My Desktop had the most routes on it so I copied the files in the Basecamp default location to a folder I created in DropBox.

The BaseCamp default location is: C:\Users\<computer name>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database, the files are AllData.gbd & FolderData.gfi

Once the files are copied to DropBox, the go into Basecamp on the Desktop and change the file location to your DropBox folder. To do so: Edit/Options/General/Database Options/+, then browse to your DropBox folder with the files. BaseCamp with restart and use the files in the DropBox folder.

Now go to your lesser used computer (in my case my MS Surface) and export each list/route that you want to integrate individually. In basecamp, I create folders for each state or area and then Lists of Routes that go together, like 5 days of routes from a single trip. Then I export/import the Lists. I created another DropBox folder named "Garmin Routes to Integrate" and copied all these exported lists/routes to the folder.

Then go back to your main computer and import each of those exported lists/routes into BaseCamp. Be sure to check each as I had several where the export/import didn't work perfectly and I had to go through the process again, maybe 10% of routes. Once done, the integrated group of folder/lists/routes are all located in the DropBox folder.

Now go back to your lesser used computer and change the database file location to the DropBox folder. BaseCamp will restart and now any change you make on one computer will be pulled up on the other. Just don't use both at the same time as I'm not sure what would happen.

Now, no matter which computer I’m on, it has the same data (folders, lists, routes, tracks, waypoints, etc.) as the other computer. An added benefit is that it’s on the cloud, so I’ll never lose any of my BaseCamp data.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good thinking. I use OneDrive to accomplish the same thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts