R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2018 GSA, want to add pigtail to battery, it says only charge battery this way when disconnected from motorcycle.

Said it will damage electronics

Any advice on how to get this so I can put bike on trickle charger?

Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
I periodically trickle charge when bike is garaged for trips/vacation, and never had an issue. 2015 with original battery 84k miles

Kam

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Said what?

I've used an Optimate on my 2017 GSA since new. It is garaged for several months at a time. It is connected to an SAE pigtail directly off the battery. It is microprocessor controlled and checks the battery voltage every half hour or so by applying a small load, for accuracy. If the battery voltage is within range it does nothing. If the battery voltage has slipped it applies a low amperage charge until target voltage is met.

The Optimate costs more than the Battery Tender but connected to a $26k bike, I went with the premium. That said I've never heard of Battery Tender brand causing problems and believe me, if one of these units caught fire or blew the electronics on a BMW bike, the event would be broadcast from the tallest tree.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

I have 3 BMWs all new each one has a trickle charger on them they a directly wired to the battery. Use any trickle charger
The other option is to buy that Optimate

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tecmate-optimate-4-dual-program-battery-charger-for-bmw-canbus?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukCR01qoDDLYnHnR0dsgZ2K8tOQq_PmNZCZrXIWQo88vV2VC6Kd3N6saAkAzEALw_wcB

Last option buy the BMW charger

I’ve got a 2018 GSA, want to add pigtail to battery, it says only charge battery this way when disconnected from motorcycle.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Optimate

Thats a 2 thumbs up for Optimate smart battery chargers. They are the gold standard for battery maintenance, do not buy or use a "trickle charger", use some type of "smart charger", it will monitor, charge, de-sulfate as required. You will never buy another battery !

·
Registered
4 Posts
consideration

I would expect to properly recharge a battery we would use a "battery charger" and not a " battery tender" each having a distinct and dedicated purpose. The first is to bring a "dead" battery back into operating condition and uses 3-6-12-25 amps to boost or jump the battery up over a short period of time. The maintainers are to keep a charged battery in optimum range, preventing unnecessary wear on the bikes own recharge system. Some newer batteries actually call for lower amps and longer charge cycles to prevent damaging the cells, Gas Mat types, and some of the newer Lithium types can be especially sensitive to large amp pushes. The presumption above is that they recommend disconnecting the battery from the bike when reviving a dead battery and assuming that the battery can take a large amp boost. The newer bikes have lots of low voltage sensors and light now and may be prone to over current damage. That just my hat in the ring thing. 0:)

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts
Stick to an Optimate charger

Thanks
I have a 2015 GS with the original battery. I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. If it's not running its plugged to the optimate via the powerlet plug.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I asked my dealer's mechanic this very question. He said it is not an issue.
Had my 2018 hooked up to an Optimate 24/7 in my unheated shed all last winter. No Problems

·
Registered
368 Posts
I ended up with the Optimate 4, dual program, but have always used it on the conventional program side, SAE plug direct to battery. You have your options with this unit. Since I have the SAE Pigtail for heated gear/air compressor anyway, and never could fully digest issues with the Canbus shutting charging down, I just took the bypass road. I leave my bike in the states for months at a time so I didn't want to fiddle with charging issues.

Optimate 4, perfect. Save a buck not going with dual program, probably the right thing to do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
FWIW, my '19 1250, which was a demo with 600 miles, came with a Battery Tender pigtail installed on it. "Trickle charger" is not the correct term..., totally different animal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Battery Tender is a brand name. The term Trickle Charger is not definitive. Some Trickle Chargers deliver constant energy, others go into "float" mode when the battery is fully charged. Those that deliver constant energy can and will damage a battery if left connected past the need for additional charge. Those that go to "float" can be left connected and will not do damage.

Direct to battery pigtails are most usually SAE female plugs and can be used to power anything within the amperage range directly off the battery, or apply charging energy to the battery.

Various charger brands utilize microprocessors that test and apply only the energy required, among other functions based on how the manufacturer has programmed them to operate. I like the range of functions provided by Optimate but others are satisfactory, I'm sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tricle charge batteries

I charged my past 4 R1200 RTs, my current R1200 GS, and Ducati Monster using this method. Never had any problem and it's worked great for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts