R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2006 R1200GS.

I suspect I may have connected my new battery the wrong way around - foolishly I thought the red cable went to + and black to -, there was a nasty bang from somewhere when the connection was made and I knew I'd done something wrong. Now my electrics are dead, there's literally nothing. Is there a fuse somewhere I've blown, what on earth have I done?

Many thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you connect the positive first? If not then you may have touched something metallic inadvertently and caused a short in the battery.

When connecting your battery, connect the positive (red) first and the negative (black) second. When removing the battery, disconnect the negative (black) first and the positive (red) second.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm really not sure, possibly not. I was confused because the battery I was replacing, when I took it out, the red cable was connected to the negative - I always thought that red was positive? Anyway I connected it back up the same way but it didn't seem right, I convinced myself that I'd got them round the wrong way and swapped them over, that's when I heard the pop, so I swapped them back to the way the previous battery was connected. But as I say, now there's no electrics at all.

Kevin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check your fuses. For fuse locations, check your owners' manual. For proper battery polarity and connection, check your owners' manual.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yes, red goes to positive. Also, ALWAYS disconnect black/ground first and connect black/ground last.

In this pic I've removed the ground connection as the first step in preparation to replacing the battery.

Here's a page on battery replacement: New battery for the GS

·
Registered
22 Posts
R1200GS has electronic fuses, so no fuses to replace.If you connected the battery the wrong way you may have burned the ECU :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts