R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that i might need to replace my factory bmw batter on my 2014 gsa .... gonna try to revive it tonight with a charger,,, don't know what happened to it i rode the bike to the office and then rode a different bike home and left the gsa in warehouse for a few weeks and it is deader than a door nail and the tender wont budge it..

so in the past i on my 1150gs i replaced with a odyssey and that was a dang good battery , but odyssey website show no direct cross by make and model on the r 1200gsa 2014..

was wonder what yall might have done.... i cant be the first one...

·
Always Learning
5 Posts
Wow, that's timing. My 2014's battery also seems to be at end of life. Started looking online for options and saw this high capacity one from Yuasa...

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/yua...eQJfLI18L5LxSzs9jNm1ntAYLX_vIA3hoC4RwQAvD_BwE

And was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

It appears that i might need to replace my factory bmw batter on my 2014 gsa .... gonna try to revive it tonight with a charger,,, don't know what happened to it i rode the bike to the office and then rode a different bike home and left the gsa in warehouse for a few weeks and it is deader than a door nail and the tender wont budge it..

so in the past i on my 1150gs i replaced with a odyssey and that was a dang good battery , but odyssey website show no direct cross by make and model on the r 1200gsa 2014..

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The stock battery that comes in many of the water cooled GS's is a Yuasa YTZ14S (Dimensions: 150mm x 85mm x 110mm).
Many owners replace them with the higher capacity GYZ16H which fits after removing the foam spacer.
There are also several companies that make high quality replacements like the Deka ETZ14S .

If I were going to use a lithium I would get the Antigravity.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They claim twice the service life, auto-reserve for a start when depleted and a weight of. 2.4 lbs vs 8.6 for the Yuasa. Price on the Yuasa site is ten bucks more than the equivalent Antigravity. Only concern is lithium as I go way back with lithium powered sonabouys and saw a few "light up". Boeing had a couple of issues as well on the 787. The energy density is very high compared to a lead/acid and bad things happen if they short out. I'd still consider one when I require a replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery

I purchased a WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery part# HJTX20CH-FP-IL and it works great for my 14 GSA. Plenty of cranking amps and reserve for charging devices. grabbed it from eBay for $150 to my door.

·
Registered
307 Posts

This product has been around longer than the current crop of Lithium’s..had one in my ‘09GSA... requires special equalization of cells..not your typical m/c charger..though some will argue the point..
https://shoraipower.com/products? action=vehicle&type=175&make=391168&model=391196&year=391196

Yes..they are pricy..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Regarding Lithium . . . charging requirements not clear

Lithium batteries' manufacturers recommend special battery chargers due to different voltage and current requirements as compared to lead-acid batteries, important shutoff voltages, ramping rates, etc., however, the bike's charging system REMAINS THE SAME for all battery types; I believe they usually provide about 14+v (and my Nav VI GPS actually displays that voltage, whatever it is--cannot remember at the moment but I think I recall 14.4v.)

Question: If lithium batteries can, without modification to the bike's factory voltage regulator output, tolerate being charged by the bike's nominal 14v charging system, intended for lead-acid batteries, what is going on. Does the lithium battery's internal circuitry act as its own voltage regulator, overriding the voltage/current furnished by the bike, (and, if so, then why do you need a special charger when bench charging?) I am not questioning the recommendation for a special bench charger for lithium batteries, only trying to figure out why the bike's charging system is suitable without modification when charging a lithium battery, as our bikes' regulators were not originally designed (I think) with lithium batteries in mind, with their different requirements. None of the lithium manufacturers discuss compatibility with vehicle charging systems, as far as I know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, that's timing. My 2014's battery also seems to be at end of life. Started looking online for options and saw this high capacity one from Yuasa....
Just curious, has anyone experienced completely unexpected battery failure or Is it more typical to see slow starting indications or other signs first? I’ve never had a bike before with as much electronics on it as the GS so am wondering if there are any warning signs I can hope for before dropping some cash on a new battery just because it’s 4-5 years old.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just curious, has anyone experienced completely unexpected battery failure or Is it more typical to see slow starting indications or other signs first? I’ve never had a bike before with as much electronics on it as the GS so am wondering if there are any warning signs I can hope for before dropping some cash on a new battery just because it’s 4-5 years old.
Over the years I've seen both kinds of failures with slow performance degradation being more common.
The OEM battery on my 2013 GSW just dropped dead one day less than a year old, replaced under warranty the dealer told me that they had several do the same their was a problem with a batch of batteries evidently.
I recently replaced the 4+ year old battery the dealer installed (the voltage on it had dropped to around 12.5v) with an Anti Gravity Re-Start lithium and so far I really like it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Over the years I've seen both kinds of failures with slow performance degradation being more common.
The OEM battery on my 2013 GSW just dropped dead one day less than a year old, replaced under warranty the dealer told me that they had several do the same their was a problem with a batch of batteries evidently.
I recently replaced the 4+ year old battery the dealer installed (the voltage on it had dropped to around 12.5v) with an Anti Gravity Re-Start lithium and so far I really like it.
Hi Jet,
Did you have to modify your battery box to install the Antigravity ATX12-RS?
I have a 2014 1200 GSW. I assume the 2013 and 2014 have the same battery box.

I contacted Antigravity about fitament for a 2014 1200 GSW.
Their website only have listings for 2005-2012 1200 GS's.
They didn't have a clue what a 1200 GSW was. I told them they were liquid cooled and were 2013 to current for GSW's and 2014 to current for GSW ADV.

They responded and suggested I use a ATZ10-RS for my 2014 GSW.

ATX12-RS ATX-12HD-RS
Ah 16 20
CCA 360 480

Dimensions for Both
L- 5.9" 150mm
W- 3.38" 86mm
H- 5.19" 132mm

ATZ10-RS L- 5.9"
Ah 10 W- 3.36"
CCA 360 H- 3.62"

I'm thinking that the ATZ10-RS might not be sufficient when I'm running full heated gear (gloves, jacket, pants and socks).

I also inquired with Antigravity if my charger https://no.co/g3500
would be suitable for topping up their battery in Lithium mode?
Never got a clear answer, just there may be problems if Lithium battery drops below 10 Amps.

Andy

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hi Jet,
Did you have to modify your battery box to install the Antigravity ATX12-RS?
I have a 2014 1200 GSW. I assume the 2013 and 2014 have the same battery box.
Installing the ATX12-RS in a '13 GS ==> https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2018/1005-42k/

No modifications to the box are needed. I modified the spacer that came with my bike so the battery wouldn't more around. That probably wasn't strictly needed.

I also inquired with Antigravity if my charger https://no.co/g3500
would be suitable for topping up their battery in Lithium mode?
It may be OK as long as the charger doesn't do use its "built-in battery desulfator" when in lithium mode. Desulfator and Li-Ion batteries do not get along.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the pics Marc

My stock battery must be larger than those for US models.
I do not have larger spacers underneath my stock battery.

My stock battery is BMW S:61 21 8 520153
12 AH 200 CCA
L- 150mm
W- 85mm
H- 145mm

Do you feel the Lithium battery is worth the extra expense?

Andy

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
T
Do you feel the Lithium battery is worth the extra expense?
I must have or I wouldn't have purchased one. Will I be proven correct? Ask me in ten years ;)

The batteries that came on early '13 bikes were smaller than the batteries that came on later bikes, although the specs were similar. That's why I had a spacer. If I hadn't the spacer to modify I'd have probably cut up an old mouse pad and used that as a spacer. A spacer probably isn't needed, but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lithium batteries' manufacturers recommend special battery chargers due to different voltage and current requirements as compared to lead-acid batteries, important shutoff voltages, ramping rates, etc., however, the bike's charging system REMAINS THE SAME for all battery types; I believe they usually provide about 14+v (and my Nav VI GPS actually displays that voltage, whatever it is--cannot remember at the moment but I think I recall 14.4v.)

Question: If lithium batteries can, without modification to the bike's factory voltage regulator output, tolerate being charged by the bike's nominal 14v charging system, intended for lead-acid batteries, what is going on. Does the lithium battery's internal circuitry act as its own voltage regulator, overriding the voltage/current furnished by the bike, (and, if so, then why do you need a special charger when bench charging?) I am not questioning the recommendation for a special bench charger for lithium batteries, only trying to figure out why the bike's charging system is suitable without modification when charging a lithium battery, as our bikes' regulators were not originally designed (I think) with lithium batteries in mind, with their different requirements. None of the lithium manufacturers discuss compatibility with vehicle charging systems, as far as I know.

The WPS battery is able to recharge off the bike OR a REGULAR 12v lead acid charger. It has a built in circuit board that monitors the charging completely, much like a laptop battery manages itself. The battery instructions clearly tell you to stay away from de-sulfication chargers and that the Battery Tender brand is recommended. Mine has been in service for about 8 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put a Shorai in my '08 GS, and it worked for several years, until one weekend it didn't. Reluctant to start on a Friday, which I blamed on unusually cool weather, it was completely dead on the Sunday. The much higher price certainly didn't pan out in my case; the light weight was a non-issue, considering how much added crap I had on the bike anyway.

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
I'm going to try the EarthX ETC36C in my '16 GS. Saving 8 lbs means pretty much nothing on a nearly 600 lbs motorcycle but I like the auto-shutdown feature that won't let it drain so low that the bike won't start. The 36C has an avalanche of CCAs to work with and it's my understanding that no special charger would be required should the need ever arise. The reviews on these batteries is that they have no parasitic drain and can sit for months at a time without requiring any recharge. My bikes may sit for a couple of months when the traction gets sketchy but they're otherwise in use.

·
Not that senior.
700 Posts
Thats what i did

The stock battery that comes in many of the water cooled GS's is a Yuasa YTZ14S (Dimensions: 150mm x 85mm x 110mm).
Many owners replace them with the higher capacity GYZ16H which fits after removing the foam spacer.
There are also several companies that make high quality replacements like the Deka ETZ14S .

Couldnt agree more. I have one on my 2010, 4 years old now. Half the weight, half the height.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts