R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
My EarthX ETX36C came today and was a 10 minute install. I'd never had the battery out of my '16 GS so it took a minute to figure out how to get that inside plastic retainer off but once that was out, the 36C fit perfectly without having to use any of the large number of foam spacers that they sent with the battery:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Shorai Battery for 2016 GSA

I am about to change out my stock original battery for a new Shorai - would anyone happen to know which Shorai unit will fit? There may in fact be two fitments with one being a slightly beefier option (which is the option I would prefer). Any help much appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Replacing the factory AGM battery with a lithium type

Lately my 2017 R1200GS (purchased new about 1.5 years ago) is turning over sluggishly when starting.
I am thinking about upgrading the battery with a lithium type - EarthX ETX24C.
Is this cool as far as the motorcycle warranty is concerned?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lately my 2017 R1200GS (purchased new about 1.5 years ago) is turning over sluggishly when starting.
I am thinking about upgrading the battery with a lithium type - EarthX ETX24C.
Is this cool as far as the motorcycle warranty is concerned?
Seems early for an oem battery to fail..but they do on occasion. Maybe a warranty situation. I believe they (oem battery)are covered up to 3 years.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Will installing a lithium type battery for its good attributes (lighter weight, etc) void motorcycle warranty if, say, something breaks in the electrical system?
I AM NOT A LAWYER

If the battery is with bmw's power spec, then no.

Based on that thinking, I would guess 99.63% (now that is precise! ?) have voided our warranties

1. Non oem tires
"the brakes failed due to tires" not warranty

2. Anything electrical
"your extra light..."
"your USB power adapter"
"your led turn signals"

The key is that the product is within some spec, like power, BATTERY SPEC.

Kam

·
Registered
1 Posts
I understand there is a lot of doom & gloom surrounding mfg warranty coverage, but that hasn't been my experience with BMW. They had an issue with certain era of fuel level sensors and extended the coverage on those for 12 years (affects 3 of our bikes), and they readily replaced a leaking front ESA shock on my GS even though it was out of warranty on both time and miles and I bought it used. If you're not satisfied with what the dealer tells you, then always go to the regional BMW Motorrad rep. Good dealers will contact the rep for you and work on your behalf to assure you are taken care of. That was Louisville Harley/BMW that took care of that for me. Of course later, that same dealership also over-filled the final drive on my K1200GT (blowing out the final-drive seal), and refused to take responsibility for that - so mileage may vary.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts