R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my GTL, I kept the battery charged by using an “Optimate 4” battery charger/tender. I simply attached one of the BMW plugs to it and plugged it directly into one of the BMW outlets on the bike.

Can I do the same with a ’17 GSA? Or would it be best to hang a standard pigtail from the battery terminals? Thanks.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
119 Posts
I have battery tender but I simply don't trust plugging it into outlet on my new 2021 GS. I have pigtail connected straight to the battery and ziptied to the frame.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have my RT connected direct to the battery by way of a pigtail using a battery tender, I use an optimate 4 on the gsa direct to the battery also but wouldn't hesitate connecting it through the auxiliary port ( can-bus ) to maintain it. The optimate is a dual charger made to do exactly that...

·
30 Posts
I agree with bosnjo - the battery is easily accessible, and so is threading a pigtail around the cover to make it even easier. Going straight to the battery avoids any can-bus issues if you're not using the correct tender like Rapala50 is using.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
Many dealers, before initial delivery, convert the DIN/Powerlet port down on the left side (on my '16) from CANBUS to a direct fused battery connection so it can be more easily used for your heated gear and simple battery chargers.

Reactions: DuxRus
1 - 8 of 8 Posts