R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there -

I have about 1000 miles on my new 2020 R1250 GSA and find the stock seat intolerable, so I'm going to get a custom seat. This thing causes pain after around 45 minutes, so I'm looking for a seat that (realistically) can extend that time period to at least 3 or 4 hours.

I've looked at Sargent, Bill Butler Seats, and others - but I'd appreciate any recommendations you can provide based on your personal experience. It's a big risk buying a non-returnable item that costs $750-$1000, so thanks for taking the time to share your perspectives!

FA

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a Russel Day-long. It's amazing, got the heated version with matching rear seat (my wife and kids like to go on rides with me sometimes). It was in that price range and it is amazing. I've gone on 9 hour rides and was not sore at ALL. I tried a saddlemans before I bought the RDL, that was an expensive mistake. Other bikes I've bought Corbin, Sargent - but I've never had a seat this comfortable. 10000% recommend.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I've done Saddleman, Corbin, Mustang and Sargents on previous bikes. When I got one of the first '14 GSAs in the country, I rode it from NC out to CA and, while at the San Diego BMW dealership, I saw a Seats Concepts saddle. I wasn't familiar with them so the owner allowed me sit on his GS. It was firm and that's what I like. I ordered one of their seat kits (foam, vapor barrier & cover) and put it on my pan. It was great! When I got my '18 GSA, I ordered a new low saddle from them with one of their seat pans. It arrived the day before I left for Alaska and it's still on my bike. Just know that comfort is subjective and what works for me might not be what you require. Anyway, check them out: Seats Concepts

Mike

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree with enzo5000 and slow24. Sargent Seat works for me too. It's a wider saddle then a stock seat and IMO is light years above the stock seat. They have sales every so often too. Call them and talk to them about your needs.I did put a Cool Cover on it and its even more comfortable.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
150 Posts
I just put a Sargent Seat on last night and put 200 miles on it today. Wow, what a difference! My stock seat was about 12“ wide and the Sargent is 15”. It took 4 weeks to get it delivered after ordering it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have about 1000 miles on my new 2020 R1250 GSA and find the stock seat intolerable, so I'm going to get a custom seat. This thing causes pain after around 45 minutes, so I'm looking for a seat that (realistically) can extend that time period to at least 3 or 4 hours.
I had the same issue with the stock seat on my new 2008 R1200RT. I could not ride the bike for more than an hour without having major butt pains. From recommendations I decided to go with the Russell Day Long seat which revealed to be extremely comfortable. The only negative issue had to do with the new seat being taller and wider than the original OEM seat, causing me to be even more on my tip toe when stopped, I’m a 5’6” (170 cm) rider. This caused me to drop the bike a few times.
The seat fabrication took one day. I drove to their shop in Shasta Lake (Northern Cal) early in the morning and was back home in the SF Bay Area in the evening. I profited of the occasion to visit Shasta lake and take a guided tour of the dam.

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m very happy with the Airhawk IST (FA-BMW-0004) I bought for my 1250 from Sierra BMW (10% off with “ADVRIDER” coupon code). They also make a Low version if desired/needed.

It’s not only very comfortable but the “Breathable Space Mesh” fabric really works at keeping monkey butt at bay.

I gave it a real world test in +100 degree temps all last weekend and everything stayed dry “down there”. Airhawk offers a 60-day return guarantee so pretty low risk if it doesn’t work out.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Corbin here. They are firm and you can sit in the saddle all day. They also allow you to move around freely in the twisties. I've had a Corbin on all my bikes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Anything but a BMW stock seat. My 08 has a Corbin that I put on when I got it, does the job but I find I use my airhawk cushion on long rides now. I purchased a used seat off Ebay for the GS ( kept the so called BMW Comfort seat just in case ) and sent it off to RDL for a build this spring and can tell you it's been a game changer, can't believe how long I can stay in the saddle now ( two back surgery's ). Recently purchased a pair of padded bicycle shorts to wear under my riding pants and tried them out on a couple shorter rides, so far they seem to add to my comfort level...ANYTHING is better than STOCK !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone tried the Wunderlich? I was recently at their location and sat on one of the guys bikes, and liked how firm and supportive is was. I had a Sargent ok my Strom, but I felt like I slid around a little on it (forward and back) I’m 5’7” with a 30” inseam so I’d be looking at getting the low version of either

·
Registered
69 Posts
On your sergeant saddle you got the wrong cover. You should got the World Performance Plus seat. It’s the one I have on my bike with a gripper cover and you don’t move around. For the money you can’t beat it. Mine is also a low version!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The previous owner had bought the Sargent, I don’t know what I had! It was a good comfortable seat.
On your sergeant saddle you got the wrong cover. You should got the World Performance Plus seat. It’s the one I have on my bike with a gripper cover and you don’t move around. For the money you can’t beat it. Mine is also a low version!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered a new seat from Borbo of Hungary. Makes his own bases as well. So far it is sitting in Singapore in Fedex with no firm delivery time. Seat is wider under your backside and has a cut out for the coccyx which is a problem area for me. here's hoping. About 300 Euros.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there -

I've looked at Sargent, Bill Butler Seats, and others - but I'd appreciate any recommendations you can provide based on your personal experience. It's a big risk buying a non-returnable item that costs $750-$1000, so thanks for taking the time to share your perspectives!

FA
Have had a Saddleman for about 7K. I love the lumbar support, it really helps secure you when accelerating. Huge improvement from the stock one on my ’15 GSA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Closing the loop on this post, again thanks to all who responded. I decided to go for a Sargent seat (rider & pillion) and placed my order on Monday. Due to C19 they are running 2-4 weeks behind, just FYI, so I'm not sure when I'll receive the new seat, hopefully within six weeks or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts