R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Colorado and its awesome here.
Winter sets in and the bike randomly comes out of the garage.
So I started researching year round places to ride as well as
best places to ride in the winter.

Here is what I've come up with as ideal, great roads with plenty of variety.
There are plenty of elevation changes.
Weather stays between 45 and 80.

What comes to mind is Arizona, Texas, California, Florida and Tennessee,
but during the summer it may be intolerable....

Any input would be welcome.....

·
Registered
636 Posts
There is no "best" place to ride year around. My buddy just crested 80,000 miles (yes 80,000) for 2020 yesterday. He has ridden at least 10 consecutive miles every day since 2/21/2000 as of today 12/30/2020 that makes 7,618 days in a row w/o skipping a single day.

Blaine has lived his entire life in Pennsylvania where we get rain shine sleet and snow. Riding year round is not limited by where you live, its limited by if rider that chooses to ride or not.

·
Registered
911 Posts
@Xlntcfp you are correct. Colorado is awesome in the spring and summer as long as there are no fires.
I assume you are looking for best weather year round or for winter riding while Colorado is snowed in.
IMO its southern California, if you can tolerate the traffic, taxes, and gas prices.
Or possibly southern part of AZ, not real familiar with that part of AZ or any of Texas though.
Florida is too much rain for me to even consider. Tennessee falls into the same category as the states that don't offer year round riding.
Here in Northern Nevada I usually get to ride about 10 months out of the year. I rode 200 miles yesterday. Winter rides are shorter due to shorter daylight and colder.
But even those places will force you to chose on some days whether to ride or not.

·
Super Awesom Person
631 Posts
I'm pretty happy here in San Diego. Year round riding and a lot of backroads to explore. The only trouble is if I want to go north I have to go through LA and if I want to go east I have to go through the desert..

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am from Colorado and its awesome here.
Winter sets in and the bike randomly comes out of the garage.
So I started researching year round places to ride as well as
best places to ride in the winter.

Here is what I've come up with as ideal, great roads with plenty of variety.
There are plenty of elevation changes.
Weather stays between 45 and 80.

What comes to mind is Arizona, Texas, California, Florida and Tennessee,
but during the summer it may be intolerable....

Any input would be welcome.....
I ride year round here in Santa Cruz/Monterey California...

Worst I get is rain, wind, sun, but no snow!

Kam

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Xlntcfp you are correct. Colorado is awesome in the spring and summer as long as there are no fires.
I assume you are looking for best weather year round or for winter riding while Colorado is snowed in.
IMO its southern California, if you can tolerate the traffic, taxes, and gas prices.
Or possibly southern part of AZ, not real familiar with that part of AZ or any of Texas though.
Florida is too much rain for me to even consider. Tennessee falls into the same category as the states that don't offer year round riding.
Here in Northern Nevada I usually get to ride about 10 months out of the year. I rode 200 miles yesterday. Winter rides are shorter due to shorter daylight and colder.
But even those places will force you to chose on some days whether to ride or not.
California if you can put up with.....I’m going out to ride some of the pacific coast highway this coming year

·
Registered
911 Posts
California if you can put up with.....I’m going out to ride some of the pacific coast highway this coming year
Dont get me wrong, I've tolerated the gas and traffic to ride a lot of the roads in California. They have some great roads. It's just a hop over the Sierras for me.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Talihina, Oklahoma.
After thinking more...St. George, Utah may be a good choice too if you want to avoid pavement. Would forgo the GS for a light dualsport if it was me. Love this guys channel and the scenery is incredible.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here in Balkans semi island there is eight months (from March to October) suitable climate conditions. Depends on years even is suitable January and February but not every year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
S Indiana near Louisville ride every day rarely gets below 10 degrees and Ice is only on road more than 3 days a year lots of farm country and rolling hills.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts