R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Talihina, Oklahoma.
I looked this area up, asked my brother in law about it. He doesn’t ride, but he said as long as you don’t get too far off the beaten path ( he said the marijuana growers in that area will shoot you:) it looks very nice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sit around and ponder stuff like this, too, from my home in Tennessee. ;-) On my previous bike, a K16GT with great wind protection and heated everything, I could extend the season here just a bit more than I can on the GS.

My guesses would have been SoCal and Las Vegas.

·
Super Awesom Person
634 Posts
I sit around and ponder stuff like this, too, from my home in Tennessee. ;-) On my previous bike, a K16GT with great wind protection and heated everything, I could extend the season here just a bit more than I can on the GS.

My guesses would have been SoCal and Las Vegas.
I loved Tennessee. Followed the Blue Ridge Parkway from Tennessee to Virginia a few years ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think the consensus says that San Diego area is the best for year round riding. I mentioned this to my buddy and he said as soon as California falls into the ocean I will want to move to Durango CO for the beach front property.

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
I think the consensus says that San Diego area is the best for year round riding. I mentioned this to my buddy and he said as soon as California falls into the ocean I will want to move to Durango CO for the beach front property.
San Diego...the riding sucks when you head west though.
😄

·
Registered
12 Posts
Talihina, Oklahoma.
I looked this area up, asked my brother in law about it. He doesn’t ride, but he said as long as you don’t get too far off the beaten path ( he said the marijuana growers in that area will shoot you:) it looks very nice!
Southeast Oklahoma is a relatively decent part of the state that isn't all flat with roads on a grid system, and for in-state riding, by far my favorite part. However, I think I would give up my nearly "year-round" riding here to be able to ride regularly in Colorado during the riding season. In the past 2 weeks I've ridden 3 times and it's snowed twice, which is about par for Oklahoma winters (maybe not the snow, but ice or below freezing temps), but unless you are in SE OK, it's generally flat and straight roads.

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
Southeast Oklahoma is a relatively decent part of the state that isn't all flat with roads on a grid system, and for in-state riding, by far my favorite part. However, I think I would give up my nearly "year-round" riding here to be able to ride regularly in Colorado during the riding season. In the past 2 weeks I've ridden 3 times and it's snowed twice, which is about par for Oklahoma winters (maybe not the snow, but ice or below freezing temps), but unless you are in SE OK, it's generally flat and straight roads.
The topo map says it all.
Screenshot_20201231-231338_Maps.jpg

20 years ago I lived in Wichita and rode a few times into Oklahoma. The flatlands have their beauty but not much for elevation or twisties in the west and central part of the state.

25 years ago I visited SE OK in college. I was amazed how great the landscape and roads were. All goes well this Memorial Day I'll be back there on the bike. Covid-wise the lack of people there is a bonus. A Northern Colorado trip is on the list for this year too...

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
682 Posts
North Georgia. Hardly ever snow, or extreme cold. Close proximity to the mountains, lots of fire roads, Cherohala Skyway, The Dragon. Can't beat it.
Went to and stayed in Blue Ridge Georgia, which is where you mentioned. I agree. North Georgia has sweet riding roads and proximity to the surrounding states. One can never run out of riding roads and off roads up there. Get up there mid week and avoid the Atlanta weekend crowd.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Seems like everytime I see winter weather in OK its an ice storm?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Went to and stayed in Blue Ridge Georgia, which is where you mentioned. I agree. North Georgia has sweet riding roads and proximity to the surrounding states. One can never run out of riding roads and off roads up there. Get up there mid week and avoid the Atlanta weekend crowd.
great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Southern California if you can afford it and tolerate the politics. Northern Georgia isn't too bad, good roads, low cost of living, but January and February are pretty cold most of the time.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts