R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I have a '17 1200 GS. I generally despise tank bags. I just don't like the feeling of one in front of me since I often like to get my upper body low over the tank. However since the accessory socket is on the dash and I often have to recharge batteries/phones using a usb adaptor and it would be nice to have a waterproof place to store the battery/phone while charging. So I'm thinking of using a tank bag for longer trips.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a water cooled GS with keyless start? Do you mount it to the gas hatch or use straps? If you mount it to the gas hatch, is that difficult with the keyless mechanism to open the hatch? How much of a pain is it to get it out of the way when gassing up? I don't need a huge bag--just something big enough for a few items.

Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hey guys.

I have a '17 1200 GS. I generally despise tank bags. I just don't like the feeling of one in front of me since I often like to get my upper body low over the tank. However since the accessory socket is on the dash and I often have to recharge batteries/phones using a usb adaptor and it would be nice to have a waterproof place to store the battery/phone while charging. So I'm thinking of using a tank bag for longer trips.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a water cooled GS with keyless start? Do you mount it to the gas hatch or use straps? If you mount it to the gas hatch, is that difficult with the keyless mechanism to open the hatch? How much of a pain is it to get it out of the way when gassing up? I don't need a huge bag--just something big enough for a few items.

Thanks.

Peter
I have a GIVI bag, great fit and finish
Well to gas up we have to remove the bag but its quick and easy

·
Registered
659 Posts
I use one of the bags from RKA. Don't remember the name, but a small one. Richard at RKA fixed me up with cords to make the bag "hot", so I can power several things. I use the straps, but created some snaps for the front two. Same on the K1600, so I can easily swap bags. Refueling is a breeze as well. I did not use the powerlet, but ran an SAE down between seat tank. Used the battery tender lead for power. It's already fused, wired direct to the battery, and has more capacity than the factory powerlet. Richard is a good guy and can give you some pointers, give them a call.

:smile2:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 2017 GS Adventure with keyless. I purchased this tank bag that works great, it is not the magnetic style. It is straps that goes around the stem and i rigged to attach to tank under the seat.

Easy on and off when gassing up. You can either disconnect from the front or back depending on your preference. Very secure.

I have the full pannier/top case but I use this most for wallet, cell phone, lip balm, water bottle etc: Very Roomy with lots of compartment and best part will not cost you an arm or a leg.

Will not interfere when riding.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-12-liter-strap-mounted-tank-bag

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know about best but I like the BMW small R1200GS tankbag that I just bought. Grey interior for easy visibility, waterproof, mounting bits included, ~$215CAD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went with :
SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Micro Tank Bag
SW-MOTECH QUICK-LOCK EVO Tankring Adapter Kit BMW Keyless Ride Models

It's designed for keyless BMW gas hatches. It's small but expandable, well made, fairly easy to install (although you do have to drill into the base of the bag to attach the locking mechanism), and allows you to get fairly low over the tank. I like it--pretty much just what I was looking for.

I've attached some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use a Givi XS319 for commuting and short trips. It's small, convenient and the tanklock feature is very handy. It's a snap to pop off for a fuel up.

Just this morning I ordered a Mosko Moto Nomad for long multi-day trips. The organization and storage as well as the built in water bladder are what have been sorely missing on my big trips. A place for everything and everything in its place! Plenty of youtube videos or their website if you want to research it more. It beats the pants off of everything else I've looked at.

Good luck in your search - depending on what you're looking for, there is an option out there to fulfill your needs, I'm sure!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mosko Moto. Uses straps and has a platypus water bag also.
I have a 2017 Rallye and use a Mosko Moto Nomax Tank bag. Off the bike it is a great versatile bag. On the bike it fits awkward and not easy to access on the road, all of the zips and snapped pockets open away from you. The fit on the tank tower is not ideal. For fueling you just unsnap the front buckle, then loosen the rear buckle to reattach afterwards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys.

Thanks.

Peter
I have a 2017 Rallye and use a Mosko Moto Nomax Tank bag. Off the bike it is a great versatile bag. On the bike it fits awkward and not easy to access on the road, all of the zips and snapped pockets open away from you. The fit on the tank tower is not ideal. For fueling you just unsnap the front buckle, then loosen the rear buckle to reattach afterwards. It attaches via straps. I have found that the most useful aspect of the bag is the water bladder. During long rides I can easily access the hose and bite valve. On rough terrain I have had to retighten straps to keep the bag centered.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
242 Posts
SW Motech City Tank Bag with their Tank Ring mount.
It has worked fine for me on both my '14 and now my '21 GSA.
The Latching mechanism requires cleaning periodically or it will get sticky. When it starts to get hard to remove (requiring a hard pull on the lanyard) remove the mount from the bag (4 screws), take it apart {5 screws}, and wash it in soap and water. I lube mine with powdered graphite - lasts about a year before it needs to be cleaned again, Dusty off-road riding can accelerate the need for cleaning. SW Motec has improved their mounting system and the new system has fewer moving parts and uses a magnetic ring.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I went with :
SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Micro Tank Bag
SW-MOTECH QUICK-LOCK EVO Tankring Adapter Kit BMW Keyless Ride Models

It's designed for keyless BMW gas hatches. It's small but expandable, well made, fairly easy to install (although you do have to drill into the base of the bag to attach the locking mechanism), and allows you to get fairly low over the tank. I like it--pretty much just what I was looking for.

I've attached some pics.
I have the same Mo-Motech setup, although it does not contour to the tank on my GSA, it's a rock solid connection and will not disengage until the release cable is pulled. Great space for on-demand items.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts