R1200GS Forum banner

Best way to get off the center stand.

21K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  Bonjoe 
#1 ·
I've used the center stand several times and I find it very high when mounted to get it off the center stand. Is there a method that you use or is it best to get it off the center stand while on the ground. I always have the feeling like I'm going to loose it getting it off the center stand while mounted. Just curious as to what other riders do.

#2 · (Edited)
So I do it totally bass ackwards....

When I park the bike, I put the side stand down, then holding the front brake I dismount the bike stepping on the left footpeg then off the bike. I then hold the bike even and put the centerstand down with the sidestand still down and leave it that way.

When I'm ready to go, I grab the left handlebar and the rear seat grabrail and rock the bike forward off the centerstand. I then set it down on the already extended sidestand. Then using the left footpeg I step up and with my right hand engaging the front brake and mount. I then put the sidestand up and and I'm off.

My inseam is about 30 inches. For me, this works and I'm use to it. YMMV.

#3 ·
... I grab the left handlebar and the rear seat grabrail and rock the bike forward off the centerstand. I then set it down on the already extended sidestand. Then using the left footpeg I step up and with my right hand engaging the front brake and mount. I then put the sidestand up and and I'm off.

My inseam is about 30 inches. For me, this works and I'm use to it. YMMV.
That works till the first time that sidestand comes down on top of your foot or the sidestand folds up from the forward motion.

I simply mount the bike, shift my weight back, then lunge forward enough that the centerstand retracts.

#6 ·
At BMW Rider Training in South Carolina, they taught us to stand on the left side of the bike, hands on both ends of the handlebars, right hand squeezing the front brake, and your right knee pressing into the rear of the left hand cylinder. Push the handlebar forward and simultaneously press the left cylinder forward with your knee and the bike will move forward off of the center stand and stop due to the front brake. You could also leave it in gear with the same effect. You can have the side stand down already if you wish and then just rest it on the side stand while you mount.

#7 ·
Hmm. I might have to try that but how to you save it if it starts to fall towards to the other side? That's why I stand with my right hand on the passenger rail and my left on the handlebar. If it leans slightly to the right when it bounces off the stand I can save it. I don't get the sit on and rock it off program but maybe that's because I'm on the short side.

#8 ·
I have found one scenario where I can NOT manage to get my GSA off it's center stand. I've had other bikes with center stands; Super Tenere, Tiger XCx, Africa Twin, and no issues;

In my garage, the floor is that smooth concrete. I can easily get it on the center stand BUT when I try to get it off the stand the whole bike just moves forward. It's like the floor is too smooth to keep the center stand in place. I've tried many times and it just keeps sliding forward till I'm up against the wall. I've even tried getting on the bike and rocking it to no avail.... I've finally would up just pulling it by the rear rack and sliding it till the center stand sits in that small gap between my garage and driveway slabs and it comes off easily.

Everywhere else it's not an issue...

#14 ·
This my way getting the Beemer off its stand.. :grin2:
I stand next to the bike grab both the handlebars, and give it a quick firm push forward.
Then just at the moment the bike lands on its two wheels I sqweez the frontbrake, to stop the bike from
rolling forward.

I allways make sure that the sidestand is also out (you never know).
After one time scratching my leg you know where to place your leg..lolllll

When I am on a 'slippery' ground so to speak, and the bike slides forward on its stand, I just block it
with my feet. By the way I am just 175 cm 'tall' and my weight is 74 kg, so I am not a Swazzernegger..:laugh2:

#15 ·
I use the left hand on left handle bar and right hand on rear frame with side stand down approach. With a fully loaded bike as the bike comes off its center stand it will compress the suspension possibly hitting the side stand first forcing the bike to its right side..that’s why I have my right hand on the rear frame preventing the bike from falling to its right.. This is experience from many miles with a ‘fully loaded’ GS/A..something the BMW training center doesn’t teach...

#21 ·
Here's how I do it, since it's slightly different from the methods others have posted here.

I stand on the left side of the bike, put the bike in neutral, and turn the handlebars slightly to the right. This way, the bike leans a little bit towards me when it rolls forward on the front wheel. This give me a little peace of mind that I won't lean the too far away from me, especially when the bike is fully loaded.

When I took the BMW offroad course, they wanted me to keep the handlebars straight and the bike in gear so that it doesn't roll away (for when you're on an incline) but I only put the bike on the centerstand when it's in the garage so turning the handlebars works for me.

#22 ·
I think the most important thing is to use whatever method you are the most comfortable with that gets the job done. If you don't have one, there are many good suggestions given here. Try a few with a spotter to help the first time and see what works for you. We are all different sizes and ride differently. Some of us are right handed, others left, etc.

Even if I went to the BMW Riding Course (which I plan to do the off-road classes), I would more than likely use what works for me now and has for many years of riding.

#23 ·
I think that I misread the OP's original question, he said "when mounted" which I took for him being mounted on the bike, I think that he actually meant the bike being mounted on the center-stand.
In this case it will depend on your size and strength to some degree, I am average build and fairly fit and from the left I grab the handlebars, squeeze the front brake lever and push the bike forward off the stand, never had any issue doing it this way and I use the center-stand 95% of the time when parking the bike.

#24 ·
I prefer to just get on and rock it forward. I don't usually have the side stand out when I do this as I (on more than one occasion) have felt like an idiot when I drop it into gear and it immediately dies... duh.

But I'm 6'3, so even when it's on the center stand and I'm sitting on it, my feet are only an inch or two from the ground. I never feel like i'm going to drop it. The idea of standing next to it worries me in that I might somehow get it off balance and drop it on its right side.

#25 ·
On all my other bikes with a center stand it wasn't an issue and that was what I always had done. Mount the bike and push off. But when I did it on the GSA it was higher than I was used to and I felt I could loose it if I wasn't careful. That is the reason I asked how other were doing it, and got a lot of good input in the process.

#34 ·
Hand Beer to Buddy, Remark "Watch This"

Start Engine
Engage Clutch
Engage First Gear
Raise Engine RPM to 5,000
At the same time - Rapidly Disengage Clutch While Rapidly shifting weight forward.

Ride for at least 8 seconds and retrieve beer!

#38 ·
Color Codes

I have a R1200GS 2018 Rally. I know the trim color is Lupin Blue Metallic but not sure what the base color is called.
Can someone tell me? I think my sales guy is color blind. Also, is there a site where I can get the code numbers for the paint?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.