R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2016 GS but it clunks loudly every time I put it into gear from neutral. My friends with the water cooled bikes say that their's do that as well and that it's just the BMW way. My 2006 RT did that but my 2011 GS and 2012 RT do not. I understand that the water cooled versions have a wet clutch but so did my Tenere and Gold Wing neither of which did this. I test rode a 2014 GS when they were released and decided against it partially because of that problem but mostly because of the constantly changing clutch engagement point. I had hoped that the clutch issues were resolved but I have doubts after my 50 mile test ride of this 2016. This seriously is as bad as a Harley when putting it into gear and I am doubting that I could live with this and the probably related rough shift into 2nd and 3rd gear.

Is this normal with the water cooled wet clutch 1200s? Does anyone have a water cooled 1200 that doesn't do this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
It varies, but my 2016 R1200GS often clunks quite a bit going from N to 1. Not sure why, but sometimes it is smoother, sometimes clunkier.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On the latest 1250 version they lowered the stationary RPM, so the CLUNK diminished somewhat... .

It doesn't disappear entirely though... my KAWASAKI Versys 1000 does exactly the same and I admit that I got used to it since my first LC, back in 2013... (3 GS's ago...)

·
Registered
368 Posts
It varies, but my 2016 R1200GS often clunks quite a bit going from N to 1. Not sure why, but sometimes it is smoother, sometimes clunkier.
Ditto with a 2017 GSA but even when it clunks in, it isn't even a minor distraction. The gear box is what it is. I am one of those that truly love the "pro-shift" and use it most of the time. Over time I am able to shift up and down, even in first and second, smoothly but once in a while..... going up I get a jump coming out of first and sometimes second to third. Even less frequently I have to coax a downshift into first.

It is what it is....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ditto with a 2017 GSA but even when it clunks in, it isn't even a minor distraction. The gear box is what it is. I am one of those that truly love the "pro-shift" and use it most of the time. Over time I am able to shift up and down, even in first and second, smoothly but once in a while..... going up I get a jump coming out of first and sometimes second to third. Even less frequently I have to coax a downshift into first.

It is what it is....
+1

I also have 2017 GSA and it clunks from N to 1, even has a little bit a lurch.
My 2017 GS did the same.
I have gotten used to it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I test rode a 2014 GS when they were released and decided against it partially because of that problem but mostly because of the constantly changing clutch engagement point. I had hoped that the clutch issues were resolved but I have doubts after my 50 mile test ride of this 2016.
Twenty thousand miles on a 2017 has never shown me clutch engagement deltas, ever. Can't speak to a Two O Sixteen. When I do use the clutch, other than finding neutral/first at a stop, I barely tap the clutch lever for a shift. I have had occasions to "feather" the clutch and it is dependable like say in U turns.

·
Registered
89 Posts
going into gear lurch

The reason a wet clutch will "lurch" when shifting into gear is due to the fluid drag on the wet clutch. With a dry clutch
the air doesn't provide any drag but when the clutch is submerged in oil there is significant drag especially when the oil
is cold. Same thing with the auto transmission in your car. You know how it will creep at a stop if you don't keep a foot
on the brake. That's because there is trans fluid in the converter that "drags".

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch engagement Point

"2014 GS when they were released and decided against it partially because of that problem but mostly because of the constantly changing clutch engagement point. I had hoped that the clutch issues were resolved but I have doubts after my 50 mile test ride of this 2016." -- I had a 2013 doing that after many mails and the workshop manager involved it was the bearing on final drive that caused the varying engagement point.

In the end traded the 2013 in and got a 2016 with no clutch issues.

So maybe test drive another one to make sure... re clunking most of my bikes did it. Triumph tiger 1200 &1050 BMW 1200. My KLR did not clunck though coming to think of it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you don't want to hear the clunk, try engaging the clutch and backing the bike up a few feet to break the clutch plates loose. Usually works on my Harley and GSA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you don't want to hear the clunk, try engaging the clutch and backing the bike up a few feet to break the clutch plates loose. Usually works on my Harley and GSA.
Doing that before you first start it is one thing, doing it at every stop sign is another. I don't know if it is clutch plates dragging or oil flying around or something else that keeps the mainshaft turning in neutral. It is annoying and I cannot believe that it is harmless to the transmission. I will be shopping for an extended warranty on this bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 18 GSA clunks and lurches when I engage first gear and the dealer claims that this is normal! Interestingly it doesn't do it when the bike is cold. This is the fourth GSA I've owned, the previous three had dry clutches, and in my humble opinion the clutch operation on my Rallye is far inferior to the older bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts