R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings forum,
My question is: Does anyone know of a great cover/technique to use while towing a R1200GS on a 3-rail open trailer? I need to tow my GS plus 2 others from Denver, CO. to Los Angeles, CA. at the end of February. The amount of road grime, sand, gravel, snow, salt, Magnesium Chloride, etc. will be extremely caustic to the bikes on an open trailer. Does anyone have a thought(s) outside of the obvious one-don't do it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Greetings forum,
My question is: Does anyone know of a great cover/technique to use while towing a R1200GS on a 3-rail open trailer? I need to tow my GS plus 2 others from Denver, CO. to Los Angeles, CA. at the end of February. The amount of road grime, sand, gravel, snow, salt, Magnesium Chloride, etc. will be extremely caustic to the bikes on an open trailer. Does anyone have a thought(s) outside of the obvious one-don't do it...
A good coat of wax and metal polish will get you too central AZ and out of the snow zone.

·
Survivor
681 Posts
If you use a fabric cover you will assuredly cause a great deal damage due to the wind caused rubbing. Could you rent an enclosed trailer? Perhaps a wind block can be attached to the front of the trailer shaped like the prow of a ship, but if not done well it could fail and cause much damage. Such a block will reduce but not eliminate the grime on the bikes. Not much, but that’s all I’ve got.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
19 Posts
How about wrapping the bikes in cling wrap once tied to the trailer? The same type of wrap being used to wrap pallets for shipping.

The cling wrap should provide a waterproof cover, but also stretch tight around all the corners to prevent damaged to the paint and finish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Outside a enclosed trailer I think the best solution might be the "cling wrap" method. If I do that I will certainly post of picture! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Short of finding a good way to cover/wrap/enclose the bikes, I'd probably find a good anti-corrosion spray (e.g. ACF-50, or plenty of other options on Amazon) and give them a liberal coat.

Back in the day I always dumped a can of silicon spray on my CX500C when storing it for the winter, and that worked well for me, but I'm sure the new anti-corrosion sprays are better for what you're wanting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Only way to cover or tarp would be to first wrap in moving blankets like at Harbor Freight, then cinch the cover or tarp really tight. The moving blankets would protect from chaffing.

Even with shrink wrap I'd remove the windshield and do the moving blanket deal.

I'd be cautious of a spray. What keeps the salt off can be a huge bear to get off. I work for an equipment company and some machines we shipped overseas would have a coating to protect from salt spray. Sweet Lord the stuff was near impossible to get off.

·
Reprobate
133 Posts
I once towed a small displacement Honda under cover. Big mistake! The chafing from the wind left flaws that never came out.

These days if I have to tow in adverse conditions I spray the front end with Fluid Film. It's lanolin based and washes off with warm soapy water.

Pete

·
Registered
148 Posts
Spray the bikes liberally with acf-50, wipe them down on arrival. If acf-50 can protect from the calcium chloride of the Haul road, it'll work just fine on the towed bikes.

Here's what the bike looked like with the calcium chloride covering the bike. Got back home after nearly a month on the road, took several washes but the product kept the bike parts from being damaged. I couldn't get the chloride off of the front/rear fender fully [ looked like they were oozing tiny milk droplets ]. Nothing seemed to get them back to original, then I reapplied some acf-50 to them and they have remained like new for over a year now.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
For something that is only for short-term application, it appears that Fluid Film would be just as protective and easier to remove than ACF-50. I would be sure to remove the Nav. and protect the contacts well. The vacuum from the tow vehicle is going to suck up everything from the road and deposit it on the bike in the form of a spray. You will need to spray under the seats also. I don't know what the tariff would be on a one-way rental of a small U-haul, but it may be worth while, unless you are moving the open trailer to CA also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rent a U Haul, or other enclosed trailer is the only real way to keep the crud off your bikes. That Liquid road grim will get into everything, under the seat, under the tank, electrical connectors.... everywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would see if you could somehow install 1/2” plywood under/between the rails. That would really help keep the grimy air moving towards the rear and not get swirled around every which crazy direction. Add on some side panels, then use some shrink wrap and the bikes should be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts