R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my first post here.

I have a R1200GS 2005 which starts as soon as the ignition is switched on.

Interesting thing is that with the 911 diagnostic tool connected it works fine (switch starts the bike and it runs OK, so eliminates a possible short circuit starter switch)

I have not looked at any fault codes yet. Anyone come across this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check your start switch/ wiring sounds like a short to me. Could be the switch unit itself or in the wire harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I think the switch is OK as with the GS-911 tool connected it works OK. Have to press the switch to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think the switch is OK as with the GS-911 tool connected it works OK. Have to press the switch to start.
Check the relay under the seat for corrosion. Happened to a buddies bike in the middle of nowhere half way between Churchill Falls and Goose Bay. We wired up a switch to break the contact and carried on.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Had similar problems on a K1600. Was. Faulty starter solenoid, under the seat. Could be...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After studying the schematic, discovered that you can bluff the ECU into thinking that there is a GS-911 diagnostic tool attached, bypassing the errors.
Taking pin 1 on the diagnostic tool socket to 12 volts does this, I connected to 12 volts via a 10 K ohm resistor (I wouldnt recommend connecting directly), bike now starts OK. Picture attached.
Still have the underlying start issue which is now masked, but at least the bike works, CAUTION be aware if you do this, the clutch in and stand down switches are bypassed.
This info could be a life saver if stranded in the "bush" with a sensor problem preventing the bike from starting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine too!

Similar symptoms with a 2007 R1200ST in my case. Not only did it fire the starter as soon as I turned the ignition, but it kept trying to fire it after the engine had started - sometimes continually, sometimes randomly.
It doesn't happen when the kill switch is on which I think rules out a faulty relay or solenoid (if they were firing randomly they wouldn't care about the kill switch)
As the ECU will normally ignore starter button presses when the engine is running (try it!) then you wouldn't expect it to be a switch or switch wiring short - and I spent a couple of tedious hours with a multimeter confirming this. And it does still ignore button presses with the engine running, when it's not misbehaving.
Like Toddy's it appeared to go away with the GS911 plugged in - although I didn't investigate very thoroughly.
In the end I just put an interrupt switch in line with the lead into the solenoid, with a warning light to tell me when it's trying to wreck my ring gear for me.
The foiled attempts to fire the starter motor seem mainly confined to when the bike is cold, and occasionally under braking, which suggests a physical fault in the ECU - but then it respects the kill switch ?!?
My bodge is keeping me on the road but I fear this is just the first step to more general ECU failure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts