R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 R1200GSA, Riding off road the rear splash guard/mud flap support bolt attached to the shaft drive assembly keeps breaking off. Local shop/mechanic says leave off there not made to ride off road and will keep breaking. Twice it broke on me. Any ideas on how to keep existing flap? If not any ideas on a modified flap?? Thanks, Gary

·
Not that senior.
702 Posts
2010 with no trouble

You must be treating it rough.
I have a 2010 with 108 thousand km on it. Plenty of off road and not a sign of trouble with the rear fender.
Probably all comes down to how well maintained the bike is, and what checks you do before going off road.

There is hardly a Bolt on my bike that has not got medium strength locktight on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 R1200GSA, Riding off road the rear splash guard/mud flap support bolt attached to the shaft drive assembly keeps breaking off. Local shop/mechanic says leave off there not made to ride off road and will keep breaking. Twice it broke on me. Any ideas on how to keep existing flap? If not any ideas on a modified flap?? Thanks, Gary
Don't know about the advice being "correct", but I took mine off to make room for a toolkit box I no longer use, and I never put it back on. I use blue Loctite on most bolts anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW! All I asked was. (Riding off road the rear splash guard/mud flap support bolt attached to the shaft drive assembly keeps breaking off. Local shop/mechanic says leave off there not made to ride off road and will keep breaking. Twice it broke on me. Any ideas on how to keep existing flap? If not any ideas on a modified flap??) Also Gateway BMW of ST. Louis Missouri said take off as well. Forum rider #1 says correct leave off. Forum rider #2 says he left his off and Forum rider #3 You must be treating it rough. I have a 2010 with 108 thousand km on it. Plenty of off road and not a sign of trouble with the rear fender. Probably all comes down to how well maintained the bike is, and what checks you do before going off road. There is hardly a Bolt on my bike that has not got medium strength locktight on them. WOW AGAIN! Being accused of several things and still no ideas on what I originally asked. I just have to defend myself! I bought an Adventure bike to ride it OFF ROAD! Not Powder Puff off road on no bumps dry graded gravel roads. I look for unmaintained old logging roads, jeep trails and single track. I have knobbies front and rear. So keeping mud off my 5 duffle bags. panniers, trunk and fishing pole holders is necessary as I ride in mud, snow and ice. My riding partners appreciate a flap as well. I am certified service with BMW, Honda, Skidoo Arctic Cat and Kawasaki. I had a dealership for six years with a rental. So I have an idea on how to maintain a bike and as far a checking my bike over I do every time I stop. Yes I know how to use Loctite. The bolt breaks it doesn't back out! So back to original question. Any ideas on how to keep existing flap? If not any ideas on a modified flap?? Thanks for hearing me out.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
I dont have a direct answer but I can provide perspective.

When I bought my 07 GSA it came without a mudguard. I bought a knockoff one on Amazon and less than 5 miles in it flexed enough to curl and make contact with the tire and ate it up. Yet to reinstall the replacement they sent me. Like you dislike the flinging mud.

My point being even the BMW design is not strong...add a few pounds of mud and I can see why the bolt would break. Guessing that is by design to not break the $180 guard itself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My riding friends and I looked at many ways to beef up existing one with quality and to keep the look. Nothing. So sits on the shelf. Made one out of a napa mud flap. protects well but looks? May have to keep. Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So keeping mud off my 5 duffle bags. panniers, trunk and fishing pole holders is necessary as I ride in mud, snow and ice. My riding partners appreciate a flap as well ... Any ideas on how to keep existing flap? If not any ideas on a modified flap??
I think this is the essence of your question? The answers you're getting are because pretty much the entire GS community agrees that the mud flap is basically an annoyance, often referring to it as a "possum scraper" (only good for scraping the possum off your wheel after you've run over it).

I think your primary concern is to prevent mud / rocks from shooting out the back and hitting the buddies behind you. I am not aware of a solution for that other than the OEM mud flap. Which will break in deep mud or sand. I don't know of a solution for reinforcing it.

People often install an aftermarket "mudsling" on their bikes, but that just prevents mud and crap from getting thrown into your rear shock etc and not out the back at your buddies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or being liable for other motorist as well.

I'm trying to post a picture of my flap I presently use but can't figure out how to download the picture in the chat box here. I'm not a computer guru. I managed to post it to my Garage file but not here any help on how to do that? The insert tab above cant get it to work and below attaching files and then adding images will not work either.

·
Registered
338 Posts
After having 2 of the possum scrapers break I no longer use one. I never had one fail while riding on pavement or groomed dirt roads but, on primitive roads they don't hold up. The guys I ride with off road know to leave an appropriate distance from the bike ahead to avoid being pelted with debris from the guy ahead.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also liability of other vehicles. Example passing a car and rocks in the windshield. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the reinforcement bracket. Awesome. I'll check into. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Moto Z. Front is Tractionator Adventure and rear is Tractionator Rally. 50/50. I have pictures in my garage but don't know how to copy and paste to this

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Moto Z. Front is Tractionator Adventure and rear is Tractionator Rally. 50/50. I have pictures in my garage but don't know how to copy and paste to this
To add a photo...start a post then hit the paper clip icon at the top.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts