R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there good people. I have not used my 2006 gs 1200 for a while and I went to start it a few weeks ago. The ignition turned on but clearly low on battery power and the starter just clicked. I tried to charge the battery then turned on the ignition and there was nothing at all. The ignition does not turn on at all. I have bought a new battery, no change. I have tried the second key, no change. I spoke to a friend who suggested maybe a fuse has blown but I believe the gs1200 does not have any fuses. Can anybody please suggest what may be wrong?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No question Is a silly question and I thank you for your response. I believe that I have hooked up the battery correctly. The new battery is connected up how the old one came out. I have to say that my information about the lack of fuses is based upon what I have read online and not on my own knowledge. Unfortunately electrical systems are not my forte. I imagine that the solution is quite simple if one knows what to look for.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If I may suggest, confirm that the red lead is connected to the + terminal on the battery and the black lead is connected to the - terminal. Check the fuses next.

I would then check that your connections are clean. Remove the battery cables from their connection points and scuff the ends and terminal points with emery paper or a wire brush. When disconnecting a battery always remove the negative cable first, then the positive.

If still no luck, then off to the local mechanic
Good luck and let us know what you found.
brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lhs of the bike is a cover over the starter take the. Cover off and try jump it to the terminals on the starter with ignition on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I had an update to give you. The bike is still dead as a dodo in my garage. A workshop manual has arrived through the post today so I will be trying to make progress over the weekend.

·
Not that senior.
701 Posts
Hello there good people. I have not used my 2006 gs 1200 for a while and I went to start it a few weeks ago. The ignition turned on but clearly low on battery power and the starter just clicked. I tried to charge the battery then turned on the ignition and there was nothing at all. The ignition does not turn on at all. I have bought a new battery, no change. I have tried the second key, no change. I spoke to a friend who suggested maybe a fuse has blown but I believe the gs1200 does not have any fuses. Can anybody please suggest what may be wrong?
That model had a very tight wiring loom under the steering head. I had a similar issue, but i had an intermittent problem, not total failure.
Trace your wiring loom down from the ignition switch, it will run down under the steering head, and is held with cable ties. That part of the moves under normal use, and wires will break at that point.
You will need to cut off the cable protection on that part of the loom and check the wires.
This was on a 2005 model.
It took some digging, so i went the whole hog and fitted some other accessories while the bike was torn down

This was from normal wear and tear of the harness moving around.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had the same issue as gdayjr on an '06 K1200GT, it was a known issue back then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks slow riding that does seem to be a possible cause and thanks for the photos. Much appreciated. I have just received a workshop manual so I will do some exploratory work this weekend and see if I can trace the fault

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jonyhaih thank you for shared info. So small and cheap part, that almost everyone will skip normally. Good luck and enjoy with again live bike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've recently experienced the power failure on an '07 and it was the ignition switch wiring at the aforementioned cable / zip tie in the loom under the steering head. It is a five minute fix once you get to it, but it is an hour to get to it. Unfortunately mine failed on a single track and it was necessary to tow the bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts