R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Xtremada panniers and Bumot tool box.

Due to the recent cold and freezing rain there has been no test ride, so this is only my initial observations. Longevity and build quality cannot be determined.

Atacama Pros:

very well made
can be synched smaller
superior method of using inner and outer bags
polished finished look to them

Atacama Cons:

mounting plate is visible and susceptible to damage when the bags are removed
bags cannot be used in conjunction with a rack mounted tool box such as the Wunderlich or Touratech aluminum storage box
bag height interferes with the passenger’s access to the grab rails

These last 2 cons are my reason for replacing the Atacama with the Xtremada bags. The Atacama Bags are listed for sale in the classified.....open to offers.

Xtremada Pros:

easy on/off
lockable
no additional adapter brackets required

Xtremada Cons:

basic simple design, doesn’t have all the frills and attachments found on the Atacama
locks exposed to elements, no key flap or opening covers
inner bag looks like an afterthought, not as clean looking as the Atacama

Bumot tool box v/s Wunderlich

Wunderlich wins hands down:

it’s larger
its narrower
better door design for weather protection
lock is covered by a rubber boot to keep grit out
more robust key

Had I know the Wunderlich tool box would have worked with the Xtremada bags I wouldn't have ordered the Bumot tool box, although it's nice only needing one key for all

thanks
brian

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just installed my Xtremada panniers and Bumot tool box.

Due to the recent cold and freezing rain there has been no test ride, so this is only my initial observations. Longevity and build quality cannot be determined.

Atacama Pros:

very well made
can be synched smaller
superior method of using inner and outer bags
polished finished look to them

Atacama Cons:

mounting plate is visible and susceptible to damage when the bags are removed
bags cannot be used in conjunction with a rack mounted tool box such as the Wunderlich or Touratech aluminum storage box
bag height interferes with the passenger’s access to the grab rails

These last 2 cons are my reason for replacing the Atacama with the Xtremada bags. The Atacama Bags are listed for sale in the classified.....open to offers.

Xtremada Pros:

easy on/off
lockable
no additional adapter brackets required

Xtremada Cons:

basic simple design, doesn’t have all the frills and attachments found on the Atacama
locks exposed to elements, no key flap or opening covers
inner bag looks like an afterthought, not as clean looking as the Atacama

Bumot tool box v/s Wunderlich

Wunderlich wins hands down:

it’s larger
its narrower
better door design for weather protection
lock is covered by a rubber boot to keep grit out
more robust key

Had I know the Wunderlich tool box would have worked with the Xtremada bags I wouldn't have ordered the Bumot tool box, although it's nice only needing one key for all

thanks
brian
Candubrain the atacama works with the wunderlich tool box

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Candubrain the atacama works with the wunderlich tool box
virkdoc I'm afraid you are wrong. The mounting brackets for the Atacama plates are too thick and the bolts too long, there is not enough clearance between the mounting bracket and bolts and the tool box, you only have aprox 6.0mm of clearance.

Yes you can modify things to work, such as making the bolts shorter, off centering and skewing the tool box, but then you'll have difficulties opening the back of the tool box as now you will have interference from the signal light.

My OCD, and 40+ years of being a journeyman millwright would not allow this.

brian

·
Registered
526 Posts
virkdoc I'm afraid you are wrong. The mounting brackets for the Atacama plates are too thick and the bolts too long, there is not enough clearance between the mounting bracket and bolts and the tool box, you only have aprox 6.0mm of clearance.

Yes you can modify things to work, such as making the bolts shorter, off centering and skewing the tool box, but then you'll have difficulties opening the back of the tool box as now you will have interference from the signal light.

My OCD, and 40+ years of being a journeyman millwright would not allow this.

brian
This is weird?? Ill post pics......mine mounted without any mods

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My previous reply sounded harsh, it was not intended. Yes I would like to see how you did it, too late for me now as I have 2 sets of soft bags....lol

brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this is an older post, but I am shopping for tool box to mount with the Atacama bags and would like to see what you have set up. Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts

That seems to be a popular box. Do you have any pics of how you mounted it with the Atacama mounting plates on the BMW rack?
Just fits normally I think.....Cant remember if some fiddling was done but it fits and works.
Also have gone a diff route now.
This is 2 years ago.
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 9.44.49 AM.png

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Looks like no interference at all from the thick bag plate backers. I'm looking to move tools from the bag to a toolbox in order to free up space on longer trips, so this helps with my selection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Atacama bags with the Touratech toolbox on the OEM rack of my 2018 GSA. I had to grind down a couple of the edges of the Atacama mounting pucks to create enough clearance for the tool box. Then used shorter bolts at those locations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the insight. For right now, I'm leaning toward a solid metal box, with rear opening. Based on the feedback from here, I think I can make almost any of them fit without too much interference from the bag mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts