R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I frequently swap my BMW Nav VI between my various bikes including my dirt/ADV bikes. I have Garmin cradles on my WR250R and my KTM Super Duke 1290R. I was recently in Gunnison Colorado on a KTM 690 Enduro R doing the COBDR when my NAV VI decided to depart the cradle at about 40 mph on the main street through town. Luckily I was being followed by a Gunnison Police officer who stopped, turned on his blue lights and retrieved it for me from the road.

My heart dropped when I saw it flip off the cradle and disappear behind me. I knew it was going to be a loss and since it was the only GPS I had on the trip, our trip was going to be very different going forward. I was using it following tracks for the COBDR and it was going to be very difficult to finish the trip just using the maps the old school way (amazing how spoiled we can become by technology)

Anywho, I took it back from the officer and it looked OK so I popped it back in the cradle. It came right up and worked normally. I took a good look at it when I got to the hotel and could hardly tell it had experienced anything like bouncing down the road at 40 mph:

It looks like it might have hit on this corner:

It worked fine for the rest of the trip and consider me very impressed with how tough this little device is and how it stands up to the abuse I give it off the pavement. I think it was probably some grit that had gotten into the latch mechanism from the several hundred miles of dusty off-road use that it had just experienced and the latch just didn't close completely on it. A little compressed air and it works great now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think he works for Garmin.
Seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Garmin didn't design a GPS that you can leave on on the bike without depleating the battery over a few days.....on both my MY17 GSA and my wife's. Crazy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Garmin didn't design a GPS that you can leave on on the bike without depleating the battery over a few days.....on both my MY17 GSA and my wife's. Crazy.
Interesting to hear that. I have a '16 GSA and leave it for months and have no battery drain.

Reactions: Sed8r

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking you mean the battery in the Garmin, not the bike, right? That's a fact. If I don't use the GPS for a few weeks, it won't turn on with the bike until it gets some charge on it. If I'm about to take a big trip and haven't used it in a while, I'll bring the GPS in the house and charge it on my desk (and update it and load my tracks, routes, waypoints, etc).

Reactions: Cocoa-Ice

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Nav VI stays locked to my bike except when I'm loading routes onto it. So it's always charged/charging.

My experience with an accidental drop wasn't as good as the OP's. I was removing it and dropped it facedown alongside the steering stem. Never got to the ground. Yet there was a gouge of displaced plastic in the center top of the screen, right in the middle of the area that tells you where the next turn is.

·
Looking to Travel !
3 Posts
I just mine back for the second warranty replacement in 12 months. First one, software went haywire, second one, screen froze up. Not inspired by this performance, hoping third time is the charm ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Unless the cradle on the new bikes has changed, the GPS doesn't get power (charge) when the bike isn't running. On my '17 the Nav V went dead when I had back surgery and didn't ride for a couple of months. Now I take it off after a week or so and take it into the house and feed it. Living in the South, there is rarely a two-week period when I don't ride...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its winter here in the north east so not really riding. A couple weeks ago I took the GPS off the bike and couldn't get in to turn on so I plug it the computer and gave it a few hours to get a charge. Only seemed to get 25٪ of a charge but did come to life. Two days later and it was completely dead again. I contacted Garmin warranty by email and explained what was happening and within 30 minutes I recieved an email with instructions for placing a no cost order for a new battery, ( recieved it yesterday ). Now that's what I call great customer service, who does that anymore without the red tape B.S. ?
I must note that my unit was purchased less then a year ago though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My NAV4 can sit in the cradle for a month and loses 15% of a full charge. If I take it out of the cradle for a month, it loses 15% of a full charge. Normal drainage of batt either way, not being discharged while left on the bike.

Has that changed with the 5 and 6's? Interesting

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can NavVI (or V) Charge While Turned Off - Plugged In?

One thing I have seen is the both my Nav V and VI only charge when the screen is on - when I have it plugged in to a Wall charger. Has anyone else noticed this? So I tried a few times to first plug it into the wall, then turn the unit off. Checking later, it seems no charge got into the unit at all. It's only when I turn the unit on and leave it on - screen glowing, etc., is when it charges when plugged into the wall. Thanks.

And yes, I have seen the minor battery drain when the bike hasn't been ridden in a while - even when I have the bike on a battery tender. I don't think the cradle gets any power while the bike is off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My NAV4 can sit in the cradle for a month and loses 15% of a full charge. If I take it out of the cradle for a month, it loses 15% of a full charge. Normal drainage of batt either way, not being discharged while left on the bike.

Has that changed with the 5 and 6's? Interesting
My Nav V battery discharges much more than 15% when GPS is not used and/or removed from bike for extended periods.
Known issue with Garmin GPS's (My 660 did this also).

When storing GPS for winter or not riding for an extended period, suggestion is to unplug the battery for extended storage.

My battery had its storage capacity significantly reduced after a number of years of not unplugging battery during winter shutdown (of riding).
I contacted Garmin and if your GPS is less than 5 years old, they will send you a free replacement battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts