R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After using the new Nav-VI for a few thousand miles I have a couple of issues, I would like to hear from anyone else that is having problems with their NAV-VI and discuss possible fixes to resolve them.
First my setup: Interphone Tour Helmet BT device, Phone is a new Samsung Galaxy S8 formerly an S7 same problem with both.
My problems are:
1. During a phone call my voice will start echoing in my headset, the person on the other end can't hear me either, sometimes it comes back. (did this with my old Nav-V as well).

2. The PREV and NEXT buttons on the Interphone quit working but they work fine if paired and listening to music directly from my phone.

3. There is no Artist/Song data displayed when using the new phone passthrough feature. (everyone is reporting this)

I have hard reset my Nav-V and my Interphone and re-paired everything also have the most up to date firmware on all devices and no help.

I sent Garmin support an email describing my problems and the response I received back (from Craig) was less than helpful, he stated that they have not tested their device with the Interphone and that it was incompatible, he than pasted a form letter describing how to fix BT connectivity issues.

·
Registered
317 Posts
After using the new Nav-VI for a few thousand miles I have a couple of issues, I would like to hear from anyone else that is having problems with their NAV-VI and discuss possible fixes to resolve them.
First my setup: Interphone Tour Helmet BT device, Phone is a new Samsung Galaxy S8 formerly an S7 same problem with both.
My problems are:
1. During a phone call my voice will start echoing in my headset, the person on the other end can't hear me either, sometimes it comes back. (did this with my old Nav-V as well).

2. The PREV and NEXT buttons on the Interphone quit working but they work fine if paired and listening to music directly from my phone.

3. There is no Artist/Song data displayed when using the new phone passthrough feature. (everyone is reporting this)

I have hard reset my Nav-V and my Interphone and re-paired everything also have the most up to date firmware on all devices and no help.

I sent Garmin support an email describing my problems and the response I received back (from Craig) was less than helpful, he stated that they have not tested their device with the Interphone and that it was incompatible, he than pasted a form letter describing how to fix BT connectivity issues.
I also went from a Nav V to a Nav VI and had the echo issue with the Nav V. I made two calls tonight with the Nav VI and it started again.

This time I was using a iPhone 7 Plus and Sena 20S

Also tried:

Scala Packtalk
Moto Z
Moto X
Moto X Force
Nexus 6
iPhone 6S

They all do the echo issue

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that feedback Fred, it is probably safe to say that this phone call problem resides within the NAV unit since we both have used a slew of other phones and headsets with the same results.

I had read on another forum that by not allowing the NAV-VI to have access to your contact information on your phone the (echoing) problem goes away, I have just re-paired my phone to the NAV unit and will report back if that resolves that issue although it introduces another problem for some riders.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for that feedback Fred, it is probably safe to say that this phone call problem resides within the NAV unit since we both have used a slew of other phones and headsets with the same results.

I had read on another forum that by not allowing the NAV-VI to have access to your contact information on your phone the (echoing) problem goes away, I have just re-paired my phone to the NAV unit and will report back if that resolves that issue although it introduces another problem for some riders.
I'm just going pair my phone directly to my Sena like I had it with my Nav V. I had hoped they would have fixed it but clearly not.

I don't get why this is not a more widespread issue.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm just going pair my phone directly to my Sena like I had it with my Nav V. I had hoped they would have fixed it but clearly not.

I don't get why this is not a more widespread issue.
I think that it is a moderately common issue but the forums that deal with with BMW nav devices are few and far between and many riders don't use the nav to make/take phone calls either and probably not all that many who have ponied up the nearly $1K for the VI either even though I had the same issue with the V.

I was disappointed at Garmin's response though that the NAV-VI was not tested with and is not compatible with my headset (Interphone Tour) even though it uses the same A2DP/AVRCP Bluetooth protocol as every other headset on the market and the fact that there are just not that many BT headset manufacturers out there to begin with.
No to mention back in the days the older BMW nav units worked better with the older Interphone headsets, but this problem is not due to the brand of headset that I use or the phone.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think that it is a moderately common issue but the forums that deal with with BMW nav devices are few and far between and many riders don't use the nav to make/take phone calls either and probably not all that many who have ponied up the nearly $1K for the VI either even though I had the same issue with the V.

I was disappointed at Garmin's response though that the NAV-VI was not tested with and in is not compatible with my headset (Interphone Tour) even though it uses the same A2DP/AVRCP Bluetooth protocol as every other headset on the market and the fact that their are just not that many BT headset manufacturers out there to begin with.
No to mention back in the days the older BMW nav units worked better with the older Interphone headsets, but this problem is not due to the brand of headset that I use or the phone.
I think that's their standard response but I am using the Sena 20S and iPhone 7S Plus. These are probably the most common and popular devices so they don't really have a lot of excuses.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have Nav V and Iphone 6s, with UClear. I get the echo as well. Usually just disconnect and redial.:eek:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Garmin can be a tough nut to crack. My latest dance with them was over a failure of Garmin Express, the update/backup facility, to connect with the Nav VI I recently purchased. My computer is OS X and after multiple conversations over ten days I gave up and used a friends Window 10 to do the deed. Note: You have to update these units because out of the box the software and maps are NOT current.

Out of the blue they got back to me and said that although instructions preclude connecting via a USB hub, I would need to use a USB hub to connect? Ok......

Me thinks that Garmin's attention is more on the avionics side and they regard the vehicle side as a step child. That said, they are a very capable company......

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have Nav V and Iphone 6s, with UClear. I get the echo as well. Usually just disconnect and redial.:eek:
Well more echo crap with a iPhone X and Sena 20S using the Nav VI. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Tomtom Rider 450 and just using the Nav VI as a dashboard for the info page.

It's not very good as being a GPS either but still thinking of this setup

·
Registered
317 Posts

I was disappointed at Garmin's response though that the NAV-VI was not tested with and is not compatible with my headset (Interphone Tour) even though it uses the same A2DP/AVRCP Bluetooth protocol as every other headset on the market and the fact that there are just not that many BT headset manufacturers out there to begin with.
Did you ever workout a solution for the phone call echo on the Nav VI?

I've tried the following and it still does it:

2 x Nav V's
Nav VI
Motorola Moto X
Nexus 6
Motorola Moto Z
iPhone 5C
iPhone 6
iPhone 6S
iPhone 7 Plus
Scala Q1
Scala Q9
Sena 20S

Never had any issues with the Tomtom Rider 400 I used and only with the Garmin devices. I can't believe more people haven't mentioned this in the forums.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed this update and will try it out today on a ride, but so far the one problem I can test easily is not addressed and that is that the UP and DN buttons on my BT headset (Interphone Tour) still do not work with the NAV-VI, these buttons allow you to go to the next song or replay the current track, they do nothing still.
I'll see if the echoing call is fixed but I have doubts as this update appears to be aimed at iPhone/IOS11 issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am curious if this problem is with iPhones only. I've only taken a couple of calls with my Galaxy Note 8 paired to the Nav VI and the Nav VI paired to my Sena 20S without any noticeable echo. I use an iPhone 6s for work and was thinking about using it while on the bike to take calls but I won't if there are issues.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am curious if this problem is with iPhones only. I've only taken a couple of calls with my Galaxy Note 8 paired to the Nav VI and the Nav VI paired to my Sena 20S without any noticeable echo. I use an iPhone 6s for work and was thinking about using it while on the bike to take calls but I won't if there are issues.
The echo issue happens randomly so it's only a matter of time

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a Samsung Galaxy S8 and get the echo at the same time the person at the other end also gets an echo and we can no longer hear one another, sometimes if you wait the call will come back but normally we just hang up and call again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I finally got the media player to work as advertised. I can play pause fast forward. Also I can take and receive calls. Beautiful thing

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally got the media player to work as advertised. I can play pause fast forward. Also I can take and receive calls. Beautiful thing
Would you mind sharing with us what equipment you are using?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would you mind sharing with us what equipment you are using?
iPhone 7+ nav 6 and SENA 10s (will be upgrading to a 20s or a 30k this week). The only crappy part is you can’t pair the phone to the SENA. Otherwise the phone won’t work. With the phone not being paired you can use the Sena app for settings etc. but finally the damn music works. I can stream from my playlist or pandora or iHeartRadio radio

·
Registered
376 Posts
iPhone 7+ nav 6 and SENA 10s (will be upgrading to a 20s or a 30k this week). The only crappy part is you can’t pair the phone to the SENA. Otherwise the phone won’t work. With the phone not being paired you can use the Sena app for settings etc. but finally the damn music works. I can stream from my playlist or pandora or iHeartRadio radio
Wait so your able to stream your pandora through your Nav then back to your sena? Whaaaaa

How how how??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts