1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few days 3 updates have become available for the Nav VI
The most interesting being the 5.20 update:
Changes made from version 4.90 to 5.20:

Added user consent for Travel History tracking per GDPR compliance.
Completed software modifications required to support Giantplus display configuration
Updated default brake debounce interval to 1 second from 10ms
Fixed an issue where if the power button was pressed shortly after the motorcycles ignition was turned 'off', the Navigator would permanently disable the screen
Greatly reduced the occurrence of phone audio echo
Removed 'Postal Code' from city search sample text
Added a new 'All Songs' option to the iPhone media source when browsing artists. This will allow user to select music which does not have an album tagged
Fixed a bug which caused teh Navigator to play BT phone audio to a headset even though it was muted
Modified 'Wipe All User Data' feature to remove all non-standard files and folders from the root directory of the devices
Removed duplicate text that can occur in imported POIs
Prevents music from playing automatically when a BT device disconnects and quickly re-connects
Removed a requirement for the user to acquire a GPS lock before EULA acceptance can be accomplished
Fixed a bug which prevented anonymous calls from working with newer iOS devices

I have installed and still get the echo over the phone.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Settings

I still can’t get the media player iPhone Sena all to work as designed :mad:
Check phone setting! I stopped hearing phone calls and iPhone somehow got changed to speaker! And there's specific sync process for Sena, GPS and phone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check phone setting! I stopped hearing phone calls and iPhone somehow got changed to speaker! And there's specific sync process for Sena, GPS and phone.
What process did u use? And where did u check the phone setting at to see that it was checked to speaker?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Your phone can only be connected to one device at a time. You have to choose the gps or the sena (10s in my case and a 20s may have different functionality).

You CAN connect the the phone to your GPS, but ONLY for phone functions--incl caller id, but not music or podcasts or books, etc. You can connect your phone to your 10s and get phone, music podcasts, etc, and navigation from your gps.

Connecting the 10s to the GPS allows for caller ID on your gps. Connecting it to your 10s allows phone, music, etc, but no readout on your gps, and the 10s does not have a caller ID function.

I wanted to have the phone connected to BOTH the gps AND the 10s concurrently--cannot be done, only one connection at a time. I wanted to hear podcasts from the phone, but have caller id on the gps--can't be done with my setup.

Yes, all of this IS confusing. In the past couple of days, trying to get the ability to have caller id from the gps, and the ability to listen to podcasts from my phone, I have been chatting with both Sena and Garmin, and they concur that what I want to do is not possible with current tech on the 10s (plead ignorance on other models)
Garmin said that even though there are standards for bluetooth, even same versions of BT on different devices do not play well together.

Garmin also said that there is a known issue of the initial connection having bad distorted loud sound and that the cure is reboot of either the garmin or the sena or both, and sometimes you have to do this a couple of times before you get good sound. Both also said that it did not matter which unit is turned on first

I will add that chatting with both companies was far better than anticipated. I found the techs prompt, knowledgeable and patient, and would rec the chat svc over telephone roulette.

In my case I was trying to get the technology to do something it couldn't (yet), and the chat sessions allowed me to sidestep the headaches of futility.

POI: "connecting" and "Pairing" are two different things as many, but not all know. Definitely part of the source of confusion. For many it is an easy arrangement, but for others, very frustrating.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes you can!

Your phone can only be connected to one device at a time. You have to choose the gps or the sena (10s in my case and a 20s may have different functionality).

You CAN connect the the phone to your GPS, but ONLY for phone functions--incl caller id, but not music or podcasts or books, etc. You can connect your phone to your 10s and get phone, music podcasts, etc, and navigation from your gps.

Connecting the 10s to the GPS allows for caller ID on your gps. Connecting it to your 10s allows phone, music, etc, but no readout on your gps, and the 10s does not have a caller ID function.

I wanted to have the phone connected to BOTH the gps AND the 10s concurrently--cannot be done, only one connection at a time. I wanted to hear podcasts from the phone, but have caller id on the gps--can't be done with my setup.

Yes, all of this IS confusing. In the past couple of days, trying to get the ability to have caller id from the gps, and the ability to listen to podcasts from my phone, I have been chatting with both Sena and Garmin, and they concur that what I want to do is not possible with current tech on the 10s (plead ignorance on other models)
Garmin said that even though there are standards for bluetooth, even same versions of BT on different devices do not play well together.

Garmin also said that there is a known issue of the initial connection having bad distorted loud sound and that the cure is reboot of either the garmin or the sena or both, and sometimes you have to do this a couple of times before you get good sound. Both also said that it did not matter which unit is turned on first

I will add that chatting with both companies was far better than anticipated. I found the techs prompt, knowledgeable and patient, and would rec the chat svc over telephone roulette.

In my case I was trying to get the technology to do something it couldn't (yet), and the chat sessions allowed me to sidestep the headaches of futility.

POI: "connecting" and "Pairing" are two different things as many, but not all know. Definitely part of the source of confusion. For many it is an easy arrangement, but for others, very frustrating.
https://www.sena.com/wp-content/.../UsersGuide_SMH10_v5.1.1_en_160921.pdf
Multipoint Bluetooth pairing allows the SMH10 to connect two HFP devices at the same time: mobile phone and GPS navigation. Follow the steps below to pair the GPS using the multipoint pairing. 1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.

1. Pair your GPS to the 20S using the Mobile Phone Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the phone button for 5 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “phone pairing” and you see the LED flash red and blue rapidly.

2. While the 20S is in Mobile Phone Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your GPS and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.

3. Wait for the devices to pair together.

4. Pair your mobile phone to the 20S using the Second Mobile Phone Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the Jog Dial for 6 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “intercom pairing” and you see the LED flash red rapidly then within 2 seconds press the phone button to hear the voice prompt say “second mobile phone pairing” and you see the LED flash blue rapidly.

5. While the 20S is in Second Mobile Phone Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
https://www.sena.com/wp-content/.../UsersGuide_SMH10_v5.1.1_en_160921.pdf
Multipoint Bluetooth pairing allows the SMH10 to connect two HFP devices at the same time: mobile phone and GPS navigation. Follow the steps below to pair the GPS using the multipoint pairing. 1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.

1. Pair your GPS to the 20S using the Mobile Phone Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the phone button for 5 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “phone pairing” and you see the LED flash red and blue rapidly.

2. While the 20S is in Mobile Phone Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your GPS and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.

3. Wait for the devices to pair together.

4. Pair your mobile phone to the 20S using the Second Mobile Phone Pairing method. On the 20S, hold down the Jog Dial for 6 seconds until you hear the voice prompt say “intercom pairing” and you see the LED flash red rapidly then within 2 seconds press the phone button to hear the voice prompt say “second mobile phone pairing” and you see the LED flash blue rapidly.

5. While the 20S is in Second Mobile Phone Pairing mode, scan for the Sena 20S in the list of Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone and when it appears select it to pair the two devices together.
So don’t pair the phone to the Navi 6?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Correct

So don’t pair the phone to the Navi 6?
In both cases pair the Nav and phone to Sena. Press phone button on Sena to call and play music from phone on Sena. I've tried the music from the Nav, but I found from the phone less problematic. Worked that way for me for several years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your phone can only be connected to one device at a time.
Sorry buddy, but this is not correct.
My Gear S3 watch is connected via Bluetooth, while the phone is also connected to a car or head phones or whatever else.
Most modern Helmet kits can also connect to two phones and a GPS at the same time.

I have a Cardo Packtalk and a Sena SRL and both systems can connect to three devices (2 phones and one GPS)

I personally don't connect the phone to the Nav VI and it all works fine

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry for the hijack of the thread, but it may help someone who is trying to decide between the Sena 10s and other models.

The 10s does NOT have multipoint pairing. The 20s does. It appears the SMH10 does also?

I do pair and connect the phone to the 665 (not NAV6), and when thus connected, the ONLY phone function available is phone proper, ie not music nor podcasts from the phone, but I do have caller id, a feature I really find useful. The is no native caller id on the sena 10s, according to Sena.

I am specifically talking about the 10s (not any other model).

Most modern Helmet kits can also connect to two phones and a GPS at the same time.
yes, the 10s can do that. I'll say it again though: doing that with my system does not allow for any other phone function other than "phone proper."

I personally don't connect the phone to the Nav VI and it all works fine
that's fine, but again, although the phone can be paired with the GPS, in order for my specific devices to allow podcasts from the phone to the SENA 10s, it, the phone, must only be connected to the 10s. Having the phone connected to the 665 allows for phone function only, but no podcasts or music from my phone. (I listen to xm and music through the 665, but would like to hear podcasts also--there is a workaround though it is messy. I can convert phone podcasts to mp3 s, load into the 665 as music files. Problem with that is that the mp3podcasts will be in the music mix)

In both cases pair the Nav and phone to Sena. Press phone button on Sena to call and play music from phone on Sena. I've tried the music from the Nav, but I found from the phone less problematic. Worked that way for me for several years.
I'm guessing you do not have the 10s Sena
From Garmin: When the phone is paired and connected to the 665 the only phone function is the phone proper. No music from the phone, no podcasts from the phone
From Sena: You would need multipoint pairing and the 10s does not have that.
I asked Sena if I could pair and connect the phone to both the GPS and the headset at the same time. They said no, only one BT connection at a time. The double pairing is OK, but only ONE connection at a time.

To Vin and BMWBob...you both quote instructions for the 20s and the smh10---both of which have multipoint pairing. The 10s, my model and the current 10 series model, does not hae that feature, and that is likely the source of the frustration. Had I known more about this feature of multipoint pairing, I rpobably would've gotten the 20s. It seems the big marketing issue for the Sena 20s was the ability to connect with 10 riders. That meant nothing to me.

That your 20s and your smh 10 can do what I am trying to do, that's great and I am sure you enjoy that, as I would if I could do it also. I have both Garmin and sena telling me it cannot.

Also the lack of multipoint pairing on the 10s prevents listening to music from the gps IF you have your intercom connected with another headset. In that instance you CAN listen to music from the phone, but you lose music and audible nav from the gps.

I guess the take-away is if you are in the market for a BT headset, get one with multipoint pairing. The Sena 10s does not have it.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I wish they applied.

PS Though it is a hassle, I can have both the gps and the sena paired with the phone, but only one connection at any one time. It is a workaround, ie, if I want to listen to a podcast from my phone, I connect The Sena to my phone and the gps, but do not have the phone connected to the GPS. That has Sena's imprimatur. The downside, and maybe you have come across this--dealing with spam calls. With the phone connected to the gps, I can see the number calling in and ignore or answer. I lose that when the phone is not connected to the gps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My set up works for me!
Sena SRL (20S tech) and Cardo Packtalk, depending on the helmet I use.

Both Bluetooth kits are connect to the NAV VI and the phone (Samsung Galaxy S8)
The phone is not connected to the NAV VI
The reason is that I use the bike for business and get calls often. The call quality is crap when connected through the NAV, as I have delays and echo.

I can listen to MP3 from the NAV VI through the Bluetooth kit and I can also listen to Music from the phone.

The only disadvantage of this set up is that I don't have live traffic updates via the phone.

It is not possible to use the apps for the Bluetooth Kit, when the phone and the Sena/Cardo are not connected to the phone.

Whatever works best for each individual

·
Registered
168 Posts
Latest Update not so great?

Hi guys,
I just updated maps and software (have to check at home what version is on the device now) last week.
We did a 1,800km trip over 4 days and the Nav VI is behaving rather strange.
I had the "black Screen" twice, even though the device charged during the day.
Soft reset fixed this problem each time still annoying though.

The most annoying "feature" is that the unit switches off when the ignition is switching off, then reboots (BMW Motorrad on the screen), asks to agree with the terms and conditions and then again goes into "switching off" mode.
I had this happening at least 10 times.

I guess it is time to talk to Garmin, as this seems rather odd and I don't want to end up with a unit out of warranty.

Anybody else had something like this happening to their unit?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts