R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first things first, I have a price of $825.28 for one of these. I think this is good ?
I bought one of the attachments that goes in the GPS holder on the GS but no matter what it kept depressing the button's so back it went.
I ride as much as I can and just go where the road (for now) leads me. But I've also ended up and trying to figure out where the heck am and not having a cell signal does not help. Now you can always back track and get a cell signal and try and figure out where I am but your kinda spinning your wheels.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions? The local deal has a iphone mount for the handle bars and the power adapter, thinking that maybe the best bet for now. I have the iPhone XR so if someone else has the same or close too and wants to share what they did that'd be great.

Thank you

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
Except for the one time I've had to replace my Nav VI under warranty, it's been a great device for me and having multi-controller wheel control over the zoom level on it is worth the price of admission. I also use my iPhone on a Quad Lock vibration isolated charging mount and that works great for using googly maps or MapOut, my app for following tracks through the woods.

Reactions: Jw Johnson

·
2018 R1200GSA
75 Posts
Buy the Garmin Zumo XT and buy a mounting plate for the cross bar and be done with it. No issues with the XT. No wonder wheel access but not needed as it is close enough to touch when you need to.

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
I would also go with the Garmin. It's a better unit from what my frends tell me and your not paying the BMW tax. They have two sizes and prices to fit your budget.

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also go with the Garmin. It's a better unit from what my frends tell me and your not paying the BMW tax. They have two sizes and prices to fit your budget.

Thank's for the feedback. As far as the adapter goes does anyone have suggestions of where to purchase this? Yes I could do a search just figured I'd ask , never know now a days with all the knockoffs out there

·
Registered
123 Posts
My comment only applies, I think, to those with the TFT system. I recently emigrated from a 2018 K1600 GTL to my first GS, a 2021 R1250 GS Adventure TE with all the bells and whistles. I had all the issues imaginable with the Nav 6 on my GTL which, to be fair Garmin replaced 4 times. I now have the 'Refresh' version transferred to my GS which, apart from two mysterious shutdowns at the most inopportune moments has operated quite well.

That said I've found the BMW Connect App coupled to my Samsung S21 Ultra and my N-Com (Sena) headset through the TFT to be a revelation. I have criticised BMW many times in the past for some of their products and services, this one in my experience is excellent. My Nav 6 has become a backup for navigation. I ride extensively across the bye ways and minor roads of Europe and as a result have downloaded all the maps for every country onto the hard drive of my phone, alleviating any issues with GSM availability, allowing the phone to use its in built in GPS. Moreover I use Google Maps for planning at home and downroute copying the routes URL from Google to https://mapstogpx.com/ converting it into a GPX file then sending it to Whats App. All that is then required is to open the GPX file in Whats App on the phone. The BMW Connect App (installed on the phone) opens automatically and without further action displaying the route in its maps section and away you go, with audio, displayed map and progress on the phone coupled to turn by turn clear instructions on the TFT. And as an added bonus the BMW App records your trip along with the location of photos taken for future reference. Well done BMW.

So far I've used the system for the last 10,000 miles on some very complicated and remote routes, it has been faultless so far, I highly recommend it. On the downside Apple Phones do have connection issues with the TFT/BMW Connect App combination which may or may not have been fixed. The only thing I was sure about phone wise was to buy a phone which had a very bright screen to combat the sun blocking out the view whilst its attached to a Ram Mount wireless charger/mount (which I can recommend). The Samsung s21 Ultra display is clear in all sun conditions and is readable with ease.

Stay safe and well guys. Regards, Tony

·
Registered
2016 GS, 2017 RT, 2019 Triumph Speed Twin
8 Posts
I really like the VI better than a phone. I like being able to use the wheel and additionally see the information screen with data on the bike in one place. Biggest hassle with it is that I take it off every time I stop as it's easy to steal.

·
Registered
2016 GS, 2017 RT, 2019 Triumph Speed Twin
8 Posts
Despite their history of problems, the Wunderwheel integration makes them worth it.
In my case, the wheel covers about 70% of the things I would do by touch if it didn't have it. The less fiddling with TFT screens the better IMO.

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
My comment only applies, I think, to those with the TFT system. I recently emigrated from a 2018 K1600 GTL to my first GS, a 2021 R1250 GS Adventure TE with all the bells and whistles. I had all the issues imaginable with the Nav 6 on my GTL which, to be fair Garmin replaced 4 times. I now have the 'Refresh' version transferred to my GS which, apart from two mysterious shutdowns at the most inopportune moments has operated quite well.

That said I've found the BMW Connect App coupled to my Samsung S21 Ultra and my N-Com (Sena) headset through the TFT to be a revelation. I have criticised BMW many times in the past for some of their products and services, this one in my experience is excellent. My Nav 6 has become a backup for navigation. I ride extensively across the bye ways and minor roads of Europe and as a result have downloaded all the maps for every country onto the hard drive of my phone, alleviating any issues with GSM availability, allowing the phone to use its in built in GPS. Moreover I use Google Maps for planning at home and downroute copying the routes URL from Google to https://mapstogpx.com/ converting it into a GPX file then sending it to Whats App. All that is then required is to open the GPX file in Whats App on the phone. The BMW Connect App (installed on the phone) opens automatically and without further action displaying the route in its maps section and away you go, with audio, displayed map and progress on the phone coupled to turn by turn clear instructions on the TFT. And as an added bonus the BMW App records your trip along with the location of photos taken for future reference. Well done BMW.

So far I've used the system for the last 10,000 miles on some very complicated and remote routes, it has been faultless so far, I highly recommend it. On the downside Apple Phones do have connection issues with the TFT/BMW Connect App combination which may or may not have been fixed. The only thing I was sure about phone wise was to buy a phone which had a very bright screen to combat the sun blocking out the view whilst its attached to a Ram Mount wireless charger/mount (which I can recommend). The Samsung s21 Ultra display is clear in all sun conditions and is readable with ease.

Stay safe and well guys. Regards, Tony
Exactly what I do. It works very well.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
While I don't have a fancy-schmancy Nav6 I do have a 396LM and much prefer my iPhone to it. I just more comfortable with the iPhone, waze and pandora.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dedicated GPS unit generally seems to be more reliable than my iPhone regardless of what app is being used. That said, I wish BMW had updated their Nav product line to keep up with what the underlying Garmin platform. The Xumo XT is way better in every way except one - wonder wheel integration. That's it. The usefulness of the wonder wheel is diminished because things like POIs are always up-to-date, etc. like on the Xumo XT.

I'd get the Gen 2 of the Nav VI if that's the route followed. It just came out this year and is a little better than the Gen 1 Nav VI which you find used everywhere.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So first things first, I have a price of $825.28 for one of these. I think this is good ?
I bought one of the attachments that goes in the GPS holder on the GS but no matter what it kept depressing the button's so back it went.
I ride as much as I can and just go where the road (for now) leads me. But I've also ended up and trying to figure out where the heck am and not having a cell signal does not help. Now you can always back track and get a cell signal and try and figure out where I am but your kinda spinning your wheels.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions? The local deal has a iphone mount for the handle bars and the power adapter, thinking that maybe the best bet for now. I have the iPhone XR so if someone else has the same or close too and wants to share what they did that'd be great.

Thank you
Ive used the Nav6 extensively. Despite some inherent problems of ghosting its reliable, integrates well with the wonderwheel and has been a great tool.
I picked it up used and I would follow @KGM advise on picking one up used from fleabay or advrider.
I wouldnt wanna risk my $1200 phone and I did try to use the iPhone here in India but due to the hot weather it just kept on shutting down though you might not have this problem where you live.
Also have read issues cropping up in the Iphone cameras due to the constant vibration.
You have all the advises from other members as well so decide and do what you have to do. Make an informed decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another vote for a Garmin Zumo XT + your mount of preference. Cell service has failed me too. GPS is reliable & free. Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another vote for a Garmin Zumo XT + your mount of preference. Cell service has failed me too. GPS is reliable & free. Good luck!
I hear you Dan and will likely go the XT route myself. I'm not sure if the 'Cell' system works the same in Europe as the USA, but I simply download all the maps onto my phones hard drive then there's no need for a 'Cell'/GSM connection, or have I got something wrong here?

·
Registered
120 Posts
@BigT Great point about the cell service in Europe. I don't think you have something wrong........I likely am simply not familiar with your setup from my own failed experience. Your setup sounds awesome!

In my case - I need the cell tower to track my movements on the map that is on my phone. So - no tower (no service) means the phone does not track until I have service again. I have only ever tried with my wife's iPhone however. Never integrating into the bike's TFT on my 2020 GSA.

I love your idea if 1) there is no data required and 2) the service is reliable. Sounds like you have had great luck with both data/service. That's great! I already have my GPS installed. I wish I would have known more about the mapping service you described above.

One last thing = my old cell phone & my wife's phone both over heat & shut down as well in full sun. GPS doesn't do that so far. Maybe that was mentioned above as well. You likely keep your phone stashed away since you're only pairing to the bike. Neat!

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear you Dan and will likely go the XT route myself. I'm not sure if the 'Cell' system works the same in Europe as the USA, but I simply download all the maps onto my phones hard drive then there's no need for a 'Cell'/GSM connection, or have I got something wrong here?
Who is the best supplier for the adapter going on the Zumo XT to mate with the factory installed GPS mount? As far as cell service goes if I'm out of my every day area and traveling say 50 miles out or more I do a network reset on my iPhone so that it picks up other towers in the area. Its worked pretty well for me. It's when I travel off the normal roads and into the countryside is when cell coverage is 1 bar or nothing at all. Funny thing a few years ago I was rear ended in my Rav4 on the street we live on and when talking to 911 if I went 5 feet in either direction of the accident I would loose cell service because that's where one carrier was dominant over the other.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thank you
I'm using a Nav V and have for a few years and lots of miles. I cuss it as much as anything, but it NEVER looses signal like my iphone X does in the mountains. From what I read, the Nav V, or corresponding Zumo, may be more dependable and less problematic than Nav VI. You might call the Garmin service center and see if they have a refurb for sale or buy one cheap on ebay, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Thank you
If you decide to go with the iPhone. There is a device called the wonderlink where you can control your iPhone with the wheel. I’ve been using it for the past year. The plastic on the back of mine just broke. I don’t know if that’s a normal problem but up until that I was really happy with it. The company did offer to replace it for $100 since it was 3 years old and out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts