R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a cheap chinese android phone to use until I figure out exactly what I want out of a gps. i'd rather not use my iphone as a gps since the vibrations can destroy some of the camera stabilization parts.

i'd really like to get a garmin that would also have satellite texting for emergencies when i'm in locations without sell service. i'm not sure which one i'd get though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So first things first, I have a price of $825.28 for one of these. I think this is good ?
I bought one of the attachments that goes in the GPS holder on the GS but no matter what it kept depressing the button's so back it went.
I ride as much as I can and just go where the road (for now) leads me. But I've also ended up and trying to figure out where the heck am and not having a cell signal does not help. Now you can always back track and get a cell signal and try and figure out where I am but your kinda spinning your wheels.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions? The local deal has a iphone mount for the handle bars and the power adapter, thinking that maybe the best bet for now. I have the iPhone XR so if someone else has the same or close too and wants to share what they did that'd be great.

Thank you
I have the Nav VI and although it's been replaced 4 times I still use one for daily use and travel. I use my phone mainly for pinpoint navigation but cell service is not everywhere. The Nav VI is satellite based and has signal everywhere there's a clear view of the sky and used for general distance to destination, gas stations when low on fuel, etc. The NavVI is also a second dash with critical info for engine temp, tire pressure and more. I also travel with old fashion maps because they show all the roads and provide a better understanding of the roads in the larger area. Each bring value for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So first things first, I have a price of $825.28 for one of these. I think this is good ?
I bought one of the attachments that goes in the GPS holder on the GS but no matter what it kept depressing the button's so back it went.
I ride as much as I can and just go where the road (for now) leads me. But I've also ended up and trying to figure out where the heck am and not having a cell signal does not help. Now you can always back track and get a cell signal and try and figure out where I am but your kinda spinning your wheels.

Any thoughts ? Suggestions? The local deal has a iphone mount for the handle bars and the power adapter, thinking that maybe the best bet for now. I have the iPhone XR so if someone else has the same or close too and wants to share what they did that'd be great.

Thank you
The bmw navigators will display some bike information that the iphone will not

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am awaiting the delivery of my Hondo Garage Juiced Squeeze inductive charging phone clamp for use with my as of yet unused WunderLINQ. The idea is that I’ll get all the benefits of full Wonderwheel integration, along with the great blend of a cell phone setup, without those obnoxious Nav-VI taking-over-the-world connectivity issues that prevent my Schuberth comm system from working correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless you are always on pavement, I think the Nav6 sucks as an actual navigation device. It’s not intuitive, it makes building routes and tracks with Basecamp and then downloading to the unit way more complex and time consuming than it needs to be. I have no faith following a track on the Nav6 into any wilderness that I’m not already very familiar with. I find my iPhone with RIdewithgps, Gaia or Guru Maps far more reliable and useful. BTW, each of those apps can be fully functional without cell coverage. I can be in the middle of nowhere, open Gaia on my phone and find every trail, Forest road jeep road and topo data in the area, calculate the distance, elevation and also get a satellite view in seconds. I also have used several Garmin units; Montana, Zumo XT and bicycle units that are all much better for wilderness/off road navigation. That said, I like how the Nav6 displays speed, tire pressure and other data, works with the wonderwheel, and it’s also decent for street, city, highway navigation, for that reason it stays on the bike but it’s still not my primary navigation tool.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Michael63, I'm on my second Nav V!. Garmin replaced it under warranty and, to date, it has been flawless. Last year, I met some friends in Colorado and rode with them for a couple of weeks. Both used their iPhones for navigation and they really liked them. One fellow loaned me his old mount for me to try out my iPhone and, frankly, I was unimpressed. The morning I left to head across the Great Plains, it warmed up quickly and I saw 106˚. My iPhone went black screen near Hays, KS and it was completely dead. I had to fined a new one en route and that was a pain. Meanwhile, my Nav VI performed flawlessly. I've loaded BDR tracks into it and have no issues navigating. I've gotta admit, BaseCamp is "fiddly" but, after some experience, I use it for converting tracks and trip planning.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thank you
I tried several cradles for my iPhone 12pro that clipped into the GPS cradle that was prewired in my 2015 GS thinking I could just use Google maps instead of biting the bullet for an overpriced BMW Nav unit. All the holders I tried were poorly designed and cheaply made. I became aware that the cell phone as a nav is pretty useless for me as the screen was almost impossible to see in the bright sunlight even with it all the way up on the phone. I also keep hearing about vibration damaging the camera on the phones that have image stablilization. There are mounts that try to address the vibration issue but the screen issue is still there. I wear glove also and that doesn't work with an iPhone screen. I search and found a used Motorrad NAV 6 for about $500. Works great, screen is easier to see and works with gloves. Its not perfectly designed but at least its purposely made for my GS . I am a believer is minimizing distractions while riding and don't want to make or answer calls on the bike. I leave my iPhone in my jacket or luggage. Try and find a BMW Nav used. There are usually some for sale. Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
I am NOT a big fan of all of the BMW Navigation systems
Do you have much experience with a Nav VI? It solved a number of the complaints people had with the IV (slow/poor screen) and the V (not readable in sunlight). Other than the ghosting screen problem I've had only once (and replaced no questions asked by Garmin) I've been very happy with my Nav VI for 5+ years.

Something it does that no other solution provides is changing zoom level with the handlebar multi-controller. If running only one GPS screen on your bike following ADV tracks through a maze of forest roads through the woods being able to quickly and easily zoom in/out is priceless and would otherwise require running two different screens.

I also really like the feature that you can search for things "along my route" vs looking for the closest. I use that all the time for gas, food, camping, and hotels.

Reactions: mikec

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do you have much experience with a Nav VI? It solved a number of the complaints people had with the IV (slow/poor screen) and the V (not readable in sunlight). Other than the ghosting screen problem I've had only once (and replaced no questions asked by Garmin) I've been very happy with my Nav VI for 5+ years.

Something it does that no other solution provides is changing zoom level with the handlebar multi-controller. If running only one GPS screen on your bike following ADV tracks through a maze of forest roads through the woods being able to quickly and easily zoom in/out is priceless and would otherwise require running two different screens.

I also really like the feature that you can search for things "along my route" vs looking for the closest. I use that all the time for gas, food, camping, and hotels.
I'm seriously leaning towards this. I've read and talked to local riders that have nothing but good things to say. In the past there were problems but Garmin took care of them.

·
Registered
2020 R1250GSA HP 719 Billet
54 Posts
My twenty two cents: After driving (car) round trip from SE Tx to West NY to Colorado and back to Tx with my work iPhone 8 coupled to Verizon and my new personal iPhone 12 Max coupled to a (magically inexpensive for all inclusive) T-Mobile plan sitting side by side, I was literally astonished to see how much of the countryside I planned to navigate on my 1250 + !-12 did not seem to have any or only barely any T-Mobile cell service. For clarity, I had prepared by downloading the off-line Google maps of all the states I travelled through on the assumption that I could test that functionality in poor coverage zones (East TX, Smokies, ). But no joy. Not sure if I somehow needed to "activate" them (?), but I had no navigation at all on the I-12 for perhaps an hour halfway between Houston and Shreveport. Unbelievable, given we are not talking Siberia here.

Regularly no connection for the whole tour, or if a 1-2 bar 5G or similar strength 4G / LTE connection then very often almost no connectivity. Really, none. Ask for weather? forget it. New route? Thinking, thinking, thinking ... Ball-parking, the Verizon-connected I-8 was fine >>90% of the trip, and the T-mobil had no connectivity or connected but zero or near zero response to any data request fully 20-30% of the trip. I bought the I-12 MAX upsized specifically with the intention to use it for navigation on my GSA. That was a big hunk of coin wasted! This trip was intended to be a test flight for I-12 as my intended only navigation tool, but big crash and burn.

Trouble shooting the (new!) I-12 mid trip at T-Mobile storefront, diagnostics, settings adjusted, replaced the SIM card, but subsequently no notable improvement. Meaning in a middle of major town >100k people, often connected to 5G, limited responsiveness regularly. My conclusion: given that I hadn't yet got to Montana, Wyoming, Alaska (2022!!) , I decided my plan to use my I-phone for navigation was moot when even the Verizon coverage map looks sketchy in large parts of my next Adventure. As I don't plan to only ride my GSA to Starbucks or on major interstates, I switched my private I-12 from T-Mobile to Verizon for cell. (Service provider seems to maybe matter more than choice of phone !!) And, I bought myself a Nav 6 for my upcoming navigation needs. I haven't opened the box yet, so can't comment on functionality, but I've clearly seen the benefit of satellite service vs full dependence on cell networks, even in Con USA where one would expect better. Onward to Fairbanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've clearly seen the benefit of satellite service vs full dependence on cell networks, even in Con USA where one would expect better.
You don't have to have cell service to use navigation on a cell phone. Just use an app that not only lets you download offline maps, but that calculates routes on your phone rather than using a cloud service. TomTom and Scenic are two examples that will do it. Google, Apple Maps, Waze, etc won't.

·
Super Awesom Person
952 Posts
I was also shocked to find that Tmoble has no coverage across much of the US. I'm with Consumer Cellular and can use Tmoble or ATT towers. I switched the simm card to ATT and have been very happy. Prefect is correct about using an app with the maps downloaded. The BMW app is free and works very well for those of us with a TFT display. That's all I use nowadays and it enables me to keep my phone in my pocket.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You don't have to have cell service to use navigation on a cell phone. Just use an app that not only lets you download offline maps, but that calculates routes on your phone rather

Ahhhh, software - I should have assumed there was another solution. I’m such a Luddite when it comes to apps (albeit completely happy with that).

thanks for the guidance, appreciated. Before the spend on the Nav 6 would have been better timed but no worries)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was watching Adam Chandler's video on installing the Zumo XT and one of his comments on the BMW Garmin is there not that good in the colder climates. Has anyone else experienced this?
When the ghost-touch problem arises, it's normally when the ambient temperature is either hot or cold. I'm on my 3rd device (I think), and ghost touch has become a problem on them all. On my current replacement, it's OK if the ambient temperature is between around 10 C and 20 C, but below or above that I am getting the ghost touch problem yet again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When the ghost-touch problem arises, it's normally when the ambient temperature is either hot or cold. I'm on my 3rd device (I think), and ghost touch has become a problem on them all. On my current replacement, it's OK if the ambient temperature is between around 10 C and 20 C, but below or above that I am getting the ghost touch problem yet again.
the BMW parts Manager I bought from claimed my new 2021 version is updated / fixed and this issue should be behind us. Color me dubious when the warranty replacements are still having issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the BMW parts Manager I bought from claimed my new 2021 version is updated / fixed and this issue should be behind us. Color me dubious when the warranty replacements are still having issues.
Yes, I heard that too, but have also seen some posts elsewhere (I forget whether it was the ukgs forum or advrider) that suggest otherwise, with some people saying their replacement 2021 version is starting to show the same issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thank you
Phones need a data connection to provide nav. Real GPS units use satellites and generally have better maps. The also work where there is no cell data coverage.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts