R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

So you finally bought your BMW GS and or GSA... as I did.

Now, I am looking to add some extras to it and make some modifications.

I am wondering what add-ons you have added and what modifications you have made to make your bike right for you?

Also, after making your changes, what would you have done differently or what did you end up doing to make the best choices for your bike and your riding style?

Thank You,

Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've added a few pieces of bling/mods to my bike over the past three years.

Motorrad Concepts rear hugger
BMW cylinder head guards
Touraech crashbars (which replaced the SW Motech 'bars)
Wunderlich adjustable gear lever
TT rear brake extender
TT rear brake switch cover
TT sidestand switch cover
TT heel plate
TT rear reservoir cover
TT frame bung
Migsel SatNav mount
Migsel handlebar risers
Oil cooler grill
R&G crash bung (on shaft)
Front fender extender
Chrome turn signal bulbs
Auxillary power point (in the beak)
TT hand guard extensions
Autocom
Givi rear rack
Hi/Low HID's
Migsel light bar with Hella Micro DE fogs converted to HID
Sargent seats

Here's a pic of the bike when it was brand new and as it is now.

Best items ?

Sargent seats and going HID. The Micro DE's are used as daytime running lights and make an amazing difference to being seen on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Now, I am looking to add some extras to it and make some modifications.
I lost count of changes I've made to my bike, although most are documented at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/#accessories

Can't think of many that I'd do differently. Well, I did replace the factory bags with Zega bags, so I guess that counts as a change. Oh, and recently I replaced my Fastway pegs with some Powerpegs.

One thing I might yet someday do is go with a custom saddle.

// marc

·
Registered
188 Posts
gps was the best addition. I like the ability to get lost and then when it is time just hit "home" . You can ride longer knowing that getting home will be easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hepco and Becker crash bars. After hitting some diesel on a wet day and sliding down the road a 90 kmh the bars protected the cylinder heads perfectly and I was able to ride home. You don't need to take the bars off for for servicing the tappets either. Wunderlich high ergo screen is good too.
Cheers roger

·
Registered
6 Posts
07 GSA, had it 2 months,mods in order of importance (to me)
Sargent Seat
Jesse's
BMW Tank Bag
Stebel Horn
Centech
Throttle lock
replaced all light bulbs with Higher-output
Helmet locks
TT: Oil cooler guard
hard part
side stand foot
Rear master cylinder cover
TPS cover

·
Registered
25 Posts
what company did you get your rear fender from? saw something like it before, but was told the company went out of business.

·
Registered
14 Posts
  • Givi screen (but meanwhile turned back to the standard screen and, guess what, am very happy with it)
  • Hepco-Becker crash bars
  • Wunderlich rear-brake pedal extension (invaluable for stand-up riding)
  • Wunderlich steering stops (anyone riding off tarmac should consider them, can save a lot of money)
  • Wunderlich oil-cooler protection
  • Side wind-deflectors (OE for GSA1200, helps smooth out the airflow)
  • Touratech mini bag bellow the luggage rack (great for first aid kit, tyre repair kit and some multi-tool thing)
  • Touratech beak extension
  • Throttle Rocker
  • *NEW* Pivot Pegs

Plus the usual array of BMW equipment, including:
  • Vario side panniers with locks
  • Liners for side panniers
  • Vario top case with lock
  • ABS
  • Heated grips (Is there a BMW bike without them?)

While I always try to avoid over-dressing my bike since most of the add-ons just add weight with very little real advantage, I am also considering following items:
  • Xenon auxillary light
  • Better seats, probably Touratech Kahedo Line or Wunderlich Ergo
  • GSA OE wire-spoke wheels

10 Posts
Rear fender

Big a,

I was looking for something similar since the rear suspension and the battery are completely unprotected from dirt and water.
I found the inner fender from Wunderlich and ordered it.
It still has to arrive but I guess it will fit fine and do the job.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks for the reply, over here i have not seen anything like that in my wunderlich catalog, if you have a part number i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you use a larger rear tire ? It looks wider than the stock 150. Did you have to modify the swing arm or did it fit ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you use a larger rear tire ? It looks wider than the stock 150. Did you have to modify the swing arm or did it fit ?
its a 180 on a 5 inch rim only mod needed it to press the bush that dolds the torque arm in place out about 4 mm to stop the tire catchin the plastic cover that covers the brake line and abs wire!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought I had run out of ideas and things to buy for the GS, but I was wrong. :D

I've just fitted a pair of Fastway footrests and they're much much better than oe, especially when standing. I think they are ever so slightly lower than stock with an option to go even lower. Coupled with the Sargent seat, I'm really happy with my riding position now. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wunderlich rear fender works really well. The saving in cleaning products will eventually pay off the ludicrous cost of a piece of injection-moulded plastic.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yet more mods ! :eek: Will the spending ever end ?

As well as the new LED indicators, I've just fitted the mirrors off the F800GS. They give a better rearward view and (IMO) look much better than the ordinary round jobbies.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts