R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looses spokes 2018 R1200 GS

Well just got back from the dealer and had 80% of my spokes loose, front and rear. This is after 8000 miles. At the 600 mile service I had a few loose on the rear.

If your thinking of trying to fix this on your own ,DO NOT. The dealer showed me a five page procedure by BMW that they have to follow to rework the spokes.

It took 2 hours in service to complete the task.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If your wheels need any repair and not covered by warranty then I highly recommend these guys:
https://woodyswheelworks.com/

They have done a couple of mine and no issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One wheel is being replaced after the 600 mile service on my '18 GS. Not clear if these are defective wheels, and once replaced will not see this issue again, or, if this is going to be a regular issue from now on because the wheel design is faulty. Since this wasn't an issue with the 17s, I'm banking that the wheels were cocked up in manufacture, and once replaced will be fine. No excuse for spoked wheels to come loose within a 600 mile interval of on road use.

I'll update once I get back Stateside and get my new wheel. I've got an excellent service rep who should give me the straight story.

Dave.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time reading about Boxer issues both vintage and new. Some are imagined, some real but none have ever approached the spoke problem in my opinion. My '17 GSA is immune and the problem seems to be limited to the '18 models.

How many damn spoked wheels has BMW produced, or even how many of the current tubeless design? Was it a manufacturing flaw or an engineering flaw? One thing for sure it was a QC flaw of the highest magnitude. Good if your throttle works as intended, also good if you have brakes. One would think that having wheels that stay round and true would be right up there with those. 80% spokes lose in 8,000 miles. That makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine were ok at the 600 check, got 3600 on now, if they are loose I will spend for alloy rims this is bad politics

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 2018 Rallye is at the dealer right now waiting on new rims to show up from BMW. I had 9 loose in the front and 13 loose in the rear. bike has 438 miles on it. It sounds like the issue was a 3 or 4 month span of build dates in early 2018.

My first real bike with spokes outside of mountain bikes or 70's suzuki enduros..

·
Registered
28 Posts
So how done one know what the actual build date was? My origin sheet that came with the bike when new states October 2018 but I doubt that was the actual build date. That would mean that BMW was building 2018 and the 2019 shift cam at the same time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just got new wheels yesterday for my 2018 GSA. I had tighten the spokes last october myself, but guessed at what 4Nm felt like, so probably I didn't torque them enough. There were 8 loose in the front and 10 in the rear.

Personally, I would have been ok with just tightening the original spokes as long as the run out stayed within tolerance. I am aware that BMW ops to replace rather than reuse due to the time involved in truing a wheel.

Put a set of Karoo 3's on while I was at it. Sir Fallsdown Alot had too many get off last fall running the ATV trails with the Anakee 3's. !2,000Kms on the Anakees and the rears were wishing 1.0mm of the wear limit, front still had lots of tread. Probably my hard downshifts contribute to the quick wear on the rear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looses spokes 2018 R1200 GS

Finally finished with the spoke problem. Been back to the dealership three times for spoke work.
BMW has sent two new wheels and installation was free.
Now when I am "on the cam" I can concentrate on riding rather then thinking about the wheels coming off.:smile2:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Spoke to the guy running the BMW demos during Daytona Bike Week..says he never heard of the wheel spoke issues..like saying the man never landed on the moon either...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Selective memory isn't unique to BMW employees. When I bought an Africa Twin I questioned the dealer about spoke corrosion and apparently it was unheard of. 12 months later saw my bike in the dealers for wheel rebuilds under warranty for corroded spokes. The problem came to light a few months after the first bikes were released to the public and even after an 'improved' spoke became available the problem persisted to the extent that the eventually Honda did what they should have done all along, began fitting stainless spokes. A head in the sand approach won't make a problem go away, it just makes for unhappy customers.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts