R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am new to the forum and although I see it's a 1200GS forum, I upgraded last year to the 1250 and since had an issue with the front rim.

I would like to see if another rider has had this issue and what the outcome might have been.

We went for a 4 day off-road ride, mostly normal gravel roads and minor rocky roads. After the trip I washed my bike and noticed stress marks on about 30-40% on the front rim where the spokes go through the rim.

Since then I put in a claim to replace the rim through the insurance but since it's not a "accident claim" it was rejected.

I heard a rumor that the gold rims might not be as tough as the black rims, but it is a rumor so I cannot say it is a fact.

I also don't see any posts on this, I only find threads on the loose spoke issues which were recalled due to the tightening torque...

Any help will be appreciated, otherwise I will have to either pay or fight to have BMW replace it under warranty.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't have close up pictures, I hope you can see the marks where the spokes and rim meet. It looks like the spoke head tried to pull through the hole and flared the rim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't see any cracks, maybe a close up. I have heard that there were issues with the spoke rims, more regarding loose spokes. But maybe your spokes were loose and you didn't know, which caused the cracks in the rim. The bike is under warranty so I would go back to the Dealer. They may say that they were self educed, so be prepared!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The bike may or may not be under warranty. He's in south Africa their warranty laws may differ form other countries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spokes were checked before the trip. It is something I always do before trips. They were loose after.
The stress marks are not that bad that it caused cracks. The wheel now has vibration.
The main concern is that with only going on a normal gravel road and the rim gets this type of damage with correct tyre pressures and all. Means my offroad bike cannot go offroad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry breathe2wice but I am not a troll, I have done 26 000 km on the bike since October 2019.
I gave the bike in today at BMW for them to assess whether they will replace it under warranty since the insurance rejecting the claim.
I joined the forum because I can't find any threads with this problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts