R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading up on the maintenance of these bikes and it clearly says to lube the splines in the BMW manual.
Where on Earth did the rumor start that BMW doesn't recommend it or it isn't required? That is just flat out wrong.They even give you the name of the lube to use!
This is from the BMW RSD 09.2017 DVD manual.
The front...
Organism Font Circle Parallel Technology

And the rear...
Organism Font Parallel Screenshot Diagram

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2018 GS, I looked in the owners manual and nowhere does it state to lube the splines of the driveshaft on either end. That must be something new that’s recommend doing on the 1250. If so finally BMW is getting the clue it needs to be done.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
712 Posts
Unfortunately, there is not much service information in the owner's manual. Greasing the splines is required (at least) since the introduction of the paralever in the 80's and maybe way before that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems pretty simple to me. Metal against metal moving against each other as the suspension moves while rotating under load. Of course you would want some kind of lube on them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Here in India the dealership does it at every service which is 10,000kms/ 1 year or whichever is earlier. They even send pictures to you of the spline. Mine always is dry and rusty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That video made me cringe. Very few "maintenance" videos are really good. - this one is marginal.
One does not need to drain the rear just to check/lube the splines. When you remove the sensor just take one of those yellow earplugs and stuff the hole just enough to plug it - do not shove it in so far you can't pull it out.
Don't use your foot to support the rear-drive, use a jack or similar. It's heavy and it's not loose until it's loose.
Have a tie-strap/wire/coat hanger/etc. ready to hold the rear brake when it's unbolted so it's not flopping around while you're trying to figure out what to do.
There's a reason a ratchet has a handle, it's a lever and provides a mechanical advantage.
Work smarter, not harder. Be as professional as you can with what you have.
If you've gone through the effort to open up the rear-end to get to the those splines... guess what... open up the front end, it has a splined shaft & u-joint in there too & it's not that much more work.
As for a magnet strong enough to degauss your entire bike... I don't think I'd like to "gather" ANY metal(s) out of my final drive. If you feel you have too much on the stock magnet, maybe something bigger is going on and it should be checked.
On one-hand it's nice that information is easy to come by, but the plethora of misinformed & ill guided instructional videos just promotes bad habits and at worst, can hurt you or causes damage to what you're working on.
Anyway, YMMV.

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
@lamby66 I'd love to see video of the reaction of your local service staff at showing this service procedure to them.

Apologies to raise a frustrating topic for you, too ironic to see this after your recent thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2018 GS, I looked in the owners manual and nowhere does it state to lube the splines of the driveshaft on either end. That must be something new that’s recommend doing on the 1250. If so finally BMW is getting the clue it needs to be done.
What I posted is from a 2017 BMW DVD manual. It is not the owner's manual and not something most folks will have I suspect. There is no interval stated, it's just part of the assembly process if one removes/disconnects the shaft.

I suspect its always been there, it's just that most folks won't actually read what's before them or don't understand what they're reading. It's an affliction across all disciplines - nothing special about motorcycle folks being different than everyone else in this respect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@lamby66 I'd love to see video of the reaction of your local service staff at showing this service procedure to them.

Apologies to raise a frustrating topic for you, too ironic to see this after your recent thread.
There is no service interval or "recommendation" per say to do this, just the instructions on reassembly if one removed/disconnected it... it would appear that technically the dealership was correct in their "evidence". They just chose not to show him this because it was outside the scope of what he asked....

·
Administrator
1,718 Posts
it would appear that technically the dealership was correct in their "evidence".
Gotta disagree. While there may be no interval, this statement by the dealer/BMW Mottorad is complete bu//$h*+:
unauthorized lubrication of the splines could result in damage and the damage would not be covered by warranty

It is completely embarrassing any dealer or manufacturer would allege that maintenance could void warranty. If you damage something while doing it yes, but adding grease cannot damage the splines. If so it is a poor design. Sorry for the rant, I just think the whole experience lamby66 has is preposterous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts